Refreshing, easy appetizer Strawberry Salsa

I thought I’d share some fun strawberry factoids today that you can toss around at your next cocktail party since this recipe is ALL about strawberries, and they’re quickly coming into season now in many parts of the country.

• The botanical name for strawberry is fragaria, which means fragrance. Fitting, don’t you think?
  • Strawberries belong to the rose family. A few judicious drops of rose water in recipes calling for strawberries will emphasize their floral aspect.
  • There is some debate over the provenance of the word “strawberry”, but the two reigning beliefs are because: 1) straw was used between the rows to keep the berries clean and to protect them in the winter; and 2) in Europe, ripe berries were carried to market threaded on straws. Take your pick.
  • Strawberries are a pseudofruit. A fruit is defined as a plant that grows a shell around a seed to protect it, which strawberries clearly do not do. But look at a strawberry under a magnifying glass, or more specifically at all those dots on the surface of the strawberries that we think of as seeds, and you’ll see that they’re actually small green plants. The seeds are actually inside of them, making the dots on the surface of the strawberries the actual fruit. So the strawberry itself is technically a delicious and colorful stem that holds the ovaries which encloses the seeds. Who knew?
  • Strawberries provide more vitamin C than oranges, and are also an excellent source of potassium and folic acid. They also contain ellagic acid, a compound that guards against cancer. They’re considered an eliminative food, and therefore good for the intestinal track. But the seeds can be irritating to those who suffer inflammation of the bowel or colitis.
  • Once strawberries are picked, they will never ripen any further.
  • Some report that strawberries benefit from thermotherapy, which means to say dipping strawberries in very warm water (125°F) for roughly 45 seconds, then letting completely dry before storing. The theory is that the heat from the water destroys mold spores, allowing the berries to last longer in the refrigerator. I haven’t run any side-by-side tests, so I can’t confirm this, but if you decide to test it out I’d recommend drying them quickly. My favorite method is to line the basket of a small salad spinner with a paper towel, and place the wet strawberries on the paper towel. Whirl the basket in the spinner just as you would for lettuce. It’s amazingly efficient and effective.

Strawberry Salsa

• 6 large strawberries, hulled and chopped (about 1 3/4 cups when chopped)
  • 1/2 cup sweet onion, finely chopped
  • 2 1/2 tablespoons fresh mint, minced
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons lime juice
  • 2 teaspoon chocolate nibs
  • 2 teaspoon agave nectar
  • 1 teaspoon finely chopped dried ancho chili (optional)
  • 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon fresh pepper

Combine all the ingredients in a bowl, and chill for 30 minutes.

Tags: , , , , , ,

23 Responses to “Strawberry Salsa” Subscribe

1. Suzanne April 13, 2012 at 4:40 am #

What a wonderful post, learned things about strawberries I never knew; You are always informative thank you for that, and your recipes, well they are amazing totally love the strawberry salsa. Strawberry season makes me happy!

• The Wimpy Vegetarian April 15, 2012 at 11:11 am #

Awwww, thanks Suzanne. Strawberries make me happy too. I can never get enough of them it seems.

2. Viviane Bauquet Farre April 13, 2012 at 5:54 am #

Absolutely stunning reds! What a fun sweet alternative to more conventional salsa recipes. Your food photography really makes the colors jump!

• The Wimpy Vegetarian April 15, 2012 at 11:10 am #

Thanks so much Viviane! Food photography is something I’m really working on these days, so I really appreciate your comment :-) Your photography is always so beautiful.

3. Hannah April 13, 2012 at 8:44 am #

Your strawberry salsa is inspired, Susan! I can’t wait to make it. Love your addition of nibs. What great strawberry info, too! I’ve wondered where strawberries get their name from – good to know straw is actually involved. Have a great weekend!

• The Wimpy Vegetarian April 15, 2012 at 11:09 am #

I love reading about things like this – like the provenance of names of things. Thanks for stopping by, Hannah! Hope you’re having a great weekend!

4. LiztheChef April 13, 2012 at 9:09 am #

Who knew??

5. Lynda - TasteFood April 13, 2012 at 4:56 pm #

How creative! The nibs are an inspired twist.

• The Wimpy Vegetarian April 15, 2012 at 11:06 am #

I’m using nibs now in all kinds of things. They hung around my kitchen for a year, and now it’s like I’m discovering them for the first time :-)

6. Wendy Read April 15, 2012 at 7:27 am #

Oh yes! This looks so good, and I always have an abundance of strawberries here to experiment with. Thanks for posting :)

• The Wimpy Vegetarian April 15, 2012 at 11:06 am #

Thanks Wendy!! And this is sooooo easy. I’m sure it would last longer too, if you didn’t dress it until 30 minutes before serving.

7. Matt @ FaveHealthyRecipes April 16, 2012 at 7:32 am #

This recipe look great! I would love it if you linked up this post to my blog hop for a chance to win a cookbook prize package: http://ow.ly/aj76a

• The Wimpy Vegetarian April 16, 2012 at 1:12 pm #

I saw your blog hop and was thinking about this one or the Farmhouse Strawberry cake from earlier this month. Thanks so much Matt for noticing this one!! I love your site!

8. Liz April 22, 2012 at 5:40 am #

Oh, man, this looks (and sounds) amazing!!! I just adore a fruit salsa!

• The Wimpy Vegetarian April 22, 2012 at 11:12 am #

I gotta say – it’s so refreshing and sooo good. I just eat it up plain half the time.

9. Choc Chip Uru April 24, 2012 at 3:14 am #

I love your style of being informative about your ingredients as well as providing a killer recipe – may I just say hooked? :D

10. juniakk @ mis pensamientos April 24, 2012 at 10:11 am #

ahhh i love the idea of making strawberry salsa! YUM! i bet this would be perfect topped on some light white fish!

11. angela@spinachtiger July 21, 2012 at 12:39 pm #

I picked tons of strawberries this year and I’m going with the theory that they used straw between the rows. Who knows? All these facts are so interesting. It makes so much sense that they are part of the rose family. I read this year that to keep strawberries, put them water with some vinegar. Soak strawberries with apple cider or white vinegar 1 part to ten parts water for a minutes. Drain. Put in fridge. It prevents mold spores. It worked for me. I just defrosted a gigantic bag of strawberries given to me and I’m going to turn them into this salsa and go from there.

• The Wimpy Vegetarian July 21, 2012 at 4:12 pm #

I love this idea! I’m assuming you’d need to make sure they’re completely dried after their quick soak. The vinegar would kill the spores – so it makes sense. I’m going to try it with my next batch. Thanks so much for contributing your idea!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Strawberry Salsa | Teacher by Day – Chef by Night - June 11, 2012

[...] by my Student(s), The Wimpy Vegetarian, & Baltic [...]

2. Teacher by Day - Chef by Night » Strawberry Salsa - July 17, 2012

[...] by my Student(s), The Wimpy Vegetarian, & Baltic [...]

3. 8 Bowl Scrapping Good Fruit Salsa Recipes | Editorette - May 9, 2013

[...] Strawberry Salsa (via The Wimpy Vegetarian) – Salsas aren’t strictly for entrees or appetizers. Served with sweet cinnamon chips, [...]