Egg bake dish packed with poblano dishes stuffed with corn, black beans, and cheese.

egg bake chile rellenos

Looking for a holiday breakfast? Here’s a great one I’m planning on. It’s inspired by a recipe I saw in Sunset Magazine years ago for Baked Chiles Rellenos. The recipe is long-lost, but I’ll always remember the photo: whole poblano chiles lazily reclining in puffy, cheesy, eggs. The baking powder in the recipe is what makes them fluffy, and my husband swore it was an egg souffle.

Feel free to experiment with different cheeses, and don’t be intimidated by the long list of ingredients. It comes together pretty easily. And best of all for a holiday breakfast – make it the day before, let it spend the night in the refrigerator, and just bake it off in time for breakfast the next morning and look like a Food Network star!

Oh, and Wimpy Vegetarian Warning, it has sausage in it! But the sausage can be eliminated without making any other changes.

egg bake chili rellenos serving

Chile Rellenos – Frittata Style

Serves 6

Prep Time: 1 hour

Cook Time: 45 minutes

• 1/2 red onion, finely diced (about 2/3 cup)
  • 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
  • 6 poblano chiles
  • 2 ears of corn
  • 1 15-oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 small red pepper, diced (1/2 cup)
  • 1/2 cup cotija cheese, grated, or other Mexican mild cheese)
  • 1 cup manchego cheese, grated, divided
  • 12 large eggs
  • 2/3 pound your favorite sausage (I used a mix of spicy and mild)
  • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
  • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1/4 cup your favorite cheese (I’ve used goat, colby and jack cheeses and all are great)

Combine the red onion and red wine vinegar in a small bowl and let soak for 30 minutes. Turn the broiler on and lay the poblano chiles out on a baking pan. Cut a tiny slit in the top of each chile and broil until the skin blackens. Turn the peppers over as needed to evenly blacken the skin. Remove and slide into a ziplock bag and close it up. Let the pepper sit until cooled. Remove and carefully peel the skin. Cut a slit all the way down the front of each pepper and carefully remove all the seeds.

Remove the corn from the corn cobs and combine it with the beans, red pepper, 1/2 cup of cotija cheese and 3/4 cup of the manchego. Add the red onion and the red wine vinegar and mix well. Add salt and pepper as needed.

Fill the peppers with the corn filling and lay in a baking pan.

Preheat the oven to 375° F. Remove the sausage from its casing, and fry it up, crumbling it as it cooks. Let cool.

Mix the eggs with the flour and baking powder until thoroughly combined. Add the cooled sausage, 1/4 cup of cotija cheese and 1/4 cup of your favorite cheese in eggs. Cheddar, Jack, and colby are all good choices. Even goat cheese is pretty delicious! Mix well and pour around the peppers in the baking dish.

Bake in the top 1/3 of the oven for 30 -45 minutes, or until the eggs are set in the middle. Serve immediately with a side of breakfast potatoes or a salad.

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

16 Responses to “Chiles Rellenos Frittata” Subscribe

1. Rodger Helwig November 23, 2011 at 6:09 pm #

Love chiles rellenos! What a wonderful twist on this classic. Would be great as a brunch item.

• The Wimpy Vegetarian November 23, 2011 at 8:03 pm #

Thanks Rodger! This would be a PERFECT brunch item!! Or a very casual dinner with a salad.

2. lizthechef November 23, 2011 at 6:22 pm #

Love the “WVWarning” – this is a keeper, as this is the “hottest” pepper my husband actually enjoys. A wonderfully updated version of the classic…

• The Wimpy Vegetarian November 23, 2011 at 8:04 pm #

Thanks Liz! I think Larry would like this. By the time you thoroughly roast the chiles, much of their heat is gone. I hope you have a chance to try it!

3. gluttonforlife November 25, 2011 at 5:56 am #

This looks delicious and is a kissing cousin to my Mom’s chile relleno casserole! (A longtime family favorite and a great way to use leftover pot roast.) http://gluttonforlife.com/2010/05/09/remembering-june/

• The Wimpy Vegetarian November 25, 2011 at 10:28 am #

What a great idea! This kind of dish offers up lots of opportunities for ingredient options! Hope your back is feeling better!!

4. Hannah November 29, 2011 at 8:47 am #

This will definitely be a family favorite! Chiles, cheese, eggs, beans – say no more. My stomach is rumbling…wish I had this for breakfast right now. :)

• The Wimpy Vegetarian November 29, 2011 at 6:12 pm #

Thanks Hannah! I can tell you it didn’t last very long here. I hope you try it!!

5. Bevi December 2, 2011 at 1:57 pm #

This looks terrific. I am not much of a cook when it comes to anything other than French toast, pancakes, and simple eggs. This looks like a good place to start branching out!

• The Wimpy Vegetarian December 2, 2011 at 2:08 pm #

Thanks Bevi!! And I don’t believe that for a minute, girlfriend! But, I do think you won’t be disappointed in this granola. Just make sure you toss it around a bit at intervals when baking. Otherwise, the sugar in it can make it burn a bit….which is NOT what you typically want in a flavor profile…:-)

• The Wimpy Vegetarian December 2, 2011 at 2:11 pm #

Thanks so much Bevi! You’re a wonderful cook, so you’ll be fine with this. It’s not difficult at all, and so much of it can be made ahead of time, making it a great breakfast/brunch for houseguests over the holidays (or really anytime at all). I’d love to hear how it goes if you make it! Boulangere is testing it this weekend for the Food52 Community Picks thingy.

6. Allen @ Cook! Bake! Share! April 20, 2012 at 10:58 pm #

You Chile Rellenos Frittata Style sound (and look) amazing! Would be great for any meal, really. Allen.

7. Susan July 22, 2013 at 9:47 am #

How well does this re-heat if made completely the day before?
    -Thanks
    :D

• The Wimpy Vegetarian July 22, 2013 at 10:14 am #

Good question! I honestly don’t know. I’ve never done it. But I would be a little concerned about the texture of the eggs in the reheating. I wondering if they would dry out a bit. But I’m only guessing. I think it would be fine to assemble it, leave it in the refrigerator, and then cook it the next day, but not sure about cooking and then reheating (if you’re looking for a way to simplify the preparation). Hope that helps!

8. Susan July 22, 2013 at 10:34 am #

Thank you for your’re reply!
    I’m actually wanting to take it to a second location and want it to be warm, when it’s time to eat. Taking it uncooked sounds a bit sloshy. Lol

• The Wimpy Vegetarian July 22, 2013 at 11:27 am #

The sloshy part would not work well. LOL. One solution would be to assemble the day before, bake it off that morning before you leave the house, and then just rewarm at your destination. I’m just afraid that if you cook it the day before and refrigerate it, it will become also more dense through the refrigeration, losing the fluffiness it has. Just more thoughts :-)
      The Wimpy Vegetarian recently posted..Roasted Potato Salad with Lentils (optional Grilled Salmon) #TheSaladBarMy Profile