This week, the FN Dish bloggers start a new theme: #SustainableSides. For the next 3 months, we’ll be blogging every Thursday about all kinds of side dishes to serve with dinner. And we kick it off with ‘Anything Mashed’! I know, this dish is more whipped than mashed, but I think it qualifies.
Celery root is a great substitute for potatoes next time you want to make mashed (or whipped) potatoes. It has a little more than half the calories of potatoes and just a whisker more than half the carbs. A lot of folks substitute cauliflower for potatoes, but I cast my vote for celery root. And I should add – 100% celery root. None of this two potatoes and a little celery root trick. That foolishness is completely unnecessary.
Commit to the celery root. Don’t judge this book by its twisted, dirty cover. You won’t be sorry. Once you remove it’s grubby exterior, an alabaster interior is revealed.
The texture is closer to potatoes than cauliflower (sorry, cauliflower), and it adds a wonderful subtle celery flavor to the dish.
Now go make this, and enjoy!
Mashed Celery Root with Blue Cheese and Watercress
- 3 large celery root
- 1/2 lemon
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup Half and Half milk
- 2 Tbsp mascarpone cheese
- 2 Tbsp blue cheese
- 1 cup watercress, coarsely chopped
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced green ends of scallions
- Using a sharp knife, carve away the thick skin of the celery root, cutting into the root where needed to remove all the knarly ends. Chop into 1" square pieces. Rub all the edges of the celery root with lemon to keep them from discoloring.
- Bring a pot of well salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the celery root and cook until tender, about 20 minutes. Drain.
- Melt the butter and combine with the Half and Half, mascarpone cheese, and blue cheese. Pile the celery root into a blender, add the liquid, and puree. (I use my Ninja blender that I LOVE!)
- Fold in the watercress and top with the scallions. Serve warm.
And now go check out more ideas for mashed side dishes, and don’t forget to visit the FN Dish Pinterest board!
Anything Mashed !
The Wimpy Vegetarian: Mashed Celery Root with Blue Cheese and Watercress
Creative Culinary: Leek, Bacon, Garlic and Thyme Smashed Potato Cakes
Dishin & Dishes: Jalapeno Spaghetti Squash Hash Browns
Weelicious: Mashed Potato Cakes
Elephants and the Coconut Trees: Spicy Roasted Eggplant Mash
Taste with the Eyes: La Purée de Pommes de Terre de Joël Robuchon
Napa Farmhouse 1885: Roasted Carrot, Onion & Garlic Mash
Red or Green: Cauliflower & Beet Mash with Chile Infused Olive Oil
Swing Eats: Italian Style Smashed Potatoes
The Mom 100: Perfect Mashed Potatoes
Daily*Dishin: Mashed NotPotatoes Cauliflower
FN Dish: 5 Crazy-Good Ways to Do Up Mashed Potatoes