Happy Cinco de Mayo!!!
In case you’re looking for something easy to make tonight for dinner that’s vegetarian and healthy, here’s a great tostada. I had some fun with photos this time, so there are a lot more than I usually post. But it’s such a colorful dish, I couldn’t resist.
First, start with some small sweet peppers and scallions.
Chop them up and sauté them a bit.
Add some black beans (I had some in the refrigerator I made earlier in the week in the slow cooker), and throw a tortilla in another skillet with a little olive oil.
Mash some avocado with lime and salt. Spread a bunch on a tortilla.
Add a spill of beans and veggies.
Toss together a little cabbage salad with corn and put a handful on top.
Finish with a flourish of pepitas and feta.
Done! Let’s eat!
Black Bean and Avocado Tostadas with Cabbage Salad
- 2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 5 small baby sweet peppers (about 1 cup chopped)
- 3 scallions (about 2/3 cup sliced)
- 1 can cooked black beans
- ¼ cup bean liquid or water
- 8 pickled jalapeño slices
- 2 to 3 flour tortillas
- 1 avocado
- 1/2 teaspoon lime juice
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 cups lightly packed shredded red cabbage
- corn kernels from 1 corn cob (about 1 cup)
- 3 large radishes, sliced
- 1 1/2 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons honey
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- handful of feta cheese
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Sauté the peppers and scallions until softened. Stir in the black beans and liquid, and simmer until most of the liquid has been absorbed - about 5 - 6 minutes. Stir in the jalapeño slices and remove from the heat.
- Brush the remaining olive oil on a couple of flour tortillas. Warm up a skillet over medium-low heat and add a tortilla. Cook for about 30 seconds, flip and cook another 30 seconds. Repeat with the other tortilla(s). They should be slightly crispy.
- Peel, cube and smash the guacamole, lime juice and salt in a small bowl. Spread on the tortillas.
- Combine the cabbage, corn, and radishes in a medium bowl. Whisk together the lime juice, oil, honey, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Pour over the salad and toss with your hands until evenly coated.
- Top the tortillas with a layer of black beans, then salad. Finish with a flourish of pepitas and feta cheese before serving.
Recipe The Wimpy Vegetarian at http://thewimpyvegetarian.com. I hope you like it!