H ealthy Mexican black bean and avocado tostada topped with cabbage salad.
Happy Cinco de Mayo!!!
In case you’re looking for something easy to make tonight for dinner that’s vegetarian and healthy, here’s a great tostada. I had some fun with photos this time, so there are a lot more than I usually post. But it’s such a colorful dish, I couldn’t resist.
First, start with some small sweet peppers and scallions.
Chop them up and sauté them a bit.
Add some black beans (I had some in the refrigerator I made earlier in the week in the slow cooker), and throw a tortilla in another skillet with a little olive oil.
Mash some avocado with lime and salt. Spread a bunch on a tortilla.
Add a spill of beans and veggies.
Toss together a little cabbage salad with corn and put a handful on top.
Finish with a flourish of pepitas and feta.
Done! Let’s eat!
Black Bean and Avocado Tostadas with Cabbage Salad
- 2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 5 small baby sweet peppers (about 1 cup chopped)
- 3 scallions (about 2/3 cup sliced)
- 1 can cooked black beans
- ¼ cup bean liquid or water
- 8 pickled jalapeño slices
- 2 to 3 flour tortillas
- 1 avocado
- 1/2 teaspoon lime juice
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 cups lightly packed shredded red cabbage
- corn kernels from 1 corn cob (about 1 cup)
- 3 large radishes, sliced
- 1 1/2 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons honey
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- handful of feta cheese
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Sauté the peppers and scallions until softened. Stir in the black beans and liquid, and simmer until most of the liquid has been absorbed - about 5 - 6 minutes. Stir in the jalapeño slices and remove from the heat.
- Brush the remaining olive oil on a couple of flour tortillas. Warm up a skillet over medium-low heat and add a tortilla. Cook for about 30 seconds, flip and cook another 30 seconds. Repeat with the other tortilla(s). They should be slightly crispy.
- Peel, cube and smash the guacamole, lime juice and salt in a small bowl. Spread on the tortillas.
- Combine the cabbage, corn, and radishes in a medium bowl. Whisk together the lime juice, oil, honey, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Pour over the salad and toss with your hands until evenly coated.
- Top the tortillas with a layer of black beans, then salad. Finish with a flourish of pepitas and feta cheese before serving.
Recipe The Wimpy Vegetarian at http://thewimpyvegetarian.com. I hope you like it!