Flakey Cornish Pasties filled with creamy celery root, potatoes, leeks and pickled apples.

Vegetarian Cornish Pasties filled with celery root, potatoes, and leeks

A few years ago, my husband and I bumped along the roads of Ireland with another couple. For one beautiful week, we toured castles, rambled rocky coasts, and relaxed over hardy, comforting food. One of my favorite meals while we were there was Cornish pasties, which actually hail from Cornwall.

For the uninitiated, traditional Cornish pasties are half-moon shaped flakey pastries stuffed with tender chunks of beef, potatoes, and onions — perfect fare for cold drizzly days of Ireland or Cornwall. When I migrated to a more vegetarian diet, I wanted to create a vegetarian version, and when the folks at Yummly reached out to me to do a guest post for them this month, I started to experiment. Our favorite version features slightly mashed celery root, potatoes and Leek Confit, with a sprinkling of pickled apples and shallot for a little acid bite.

Vegetarian Cornish Pasties filled with celery root, potatoes, and leeks

Feel free to make your own pastry, but I took a slightly easier path with store-bought frozen puff pastry since our kitchen was in the midst of being packed up for the kitchen remodel that started yesterday. If you’re throwing a St. Patrick’s Day party this year, or just staying home to enjoy a pint of your favorite beer, these make the perfect appetizer. Or add a salad for a great lunch or dinner. Now, go check out the recipe on the Yummly blog!

Cooking Notes

At first glance, these Cornish pasties may appear to be complicated and involve a lot of ingredients. Most of the time is spent prepping the ingredients for the filling, it’s true. But the Leek Confit can be made ahead and kept in the refrigerator for up to two weeks, and the Pickled Apples and Shallots can be made at least one week in advance. If you want to make the entire filling in advance, no worries. It will keep in the refrigerator for several days. Then just roll out the dough, fill the pasties and bake them off for a party or quick weeknight dinner. If you want to form and fill the pasties in advance, I recommend freezing them until you’re ready to bake them off to prevent the dough from becoming soggy.

The Vegetarian – Omnivore Table

The easiest meat to add to these little pastry packets is pork sausage. Just slice up and sauté in a little olive oil, and chop fairly finely. Divide the celery root filling between the vegetarian and omnivore and add the sausage to the omnivore’s portion. Fill the pastries and bake.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger... Pin It

Tags: , , , , ,

12 Responses to “Vegetarian Cornish Pasties” Subscribe

1. cheri March 12, 2014 at 11:33 am #

Hi Susan, these look absolutely gorgeous, there is a restaurant in a neighboring city that is all about the pasties, and oh how we enjoyed ourselves. I have not yet cooked with celery root but this looks like a great way to be introduced. Happy Wednesday!
    cheri recently posted..Lemon-Frosted Pistachio CakeMy Profile

• The Wimpy Vegetarian March 12, 2014 at 11:51 am #

Thanks so much cheri! I cook quite a bit with celery root now, but for the longest time I just wasn’t quite sure what to do with it. At Thanksgiving I mixed roasted celery root with potatoes for mashed potatoes, and sometimes I just use them as a side vegetable straight from roasting. My next project to experiment with slabs of celery root as a ‘steak’. But I need to wait for the kitchen remodel to be done before I can really dig in :-)
      The Wimpy Vegetarian recently posted..Vegetarian Cornish Pasties for St. Patrick’s Day: #Yummly PostMy Profile

2. Erika March 12, 2014 at 11:39 am #

Unless my memory is failing me, I think these were mentioned in Harry Potter and I am prettty sure I remember wondering what they were. Now I know! And they look SO delicious! Your version kind of reminds me of chicken pot pie empanadas with the celery and the potato and everything…but with cheese and puff pastry!!! Which makes it incredibly more yum :) Fabulous guest post!!
    Erika recently posted..Baked Tofu Banh MiMy Profile

3. apuginthekitchen March 12, 2014 at 12:24 pm #

I so envy your trip to ireland, it’s the one place I absolutely have to visit, it’s at the top of my bucket list. Your pasties look so good, flaky and tender and a really delicious filling. Great guest post on Yummly!
    apuginthekitchen recently posted..Genoise With Strawberries And Whipped Cream FrostingMy Profile

• The Wimpy Vegetarian March 12, 2014 at 12:30 pm #

Thanks Suzanne. And in the interest of full disclosure, we loved Ireland, but Myles had hurt his back before we left home and after bumping along the roads in Ireland, we had to make an emergency flight back home after 5 or 6 days for emergency back surgery. We had planned originally to stay for an additional week for a walking tour of the Ring of Kerry. So that’s still on my bucket list :-)

4. Choc Chip Uru March 12, 2014 at 7:12 pm #

The Irish would go crazy over these festive pasties, I saw them in every bakery in London even :D

Choc Chip Uru recently posted..Daddy’s Throwback & Winner Announced!My Profile

5. Marie March 15, 2014 at 6:49 am #

These look delicious!

6. Jean | DelightfulRepast.com March 20, 2014 at 9:39 am #

Susan, I adore pasties of all kinds and eat lots of vegetarian meals even though I’m not vegetarian at this time. Flexitarian. These pasties sound delightfully delicious! I cannot imagine food blogging during a kitchen remodel! Fortunately, I remodeled three years before I started my blog.
    Jean | DelightfulRepast.com recently posted..Custard Tarts – A British ClassicMy Profile

• The Wimpy Vegetarian March 20, 2014 at 10:15 am #

Thanks so much Jean! So fun hearing a little about your remodel thru twitter LOL. I’m not very regular right now on the blog unfortunately. Mostly because my days are filled with decisions, ordering tile, cabinet hardware, etc. Ai-yi-yi. But we love our contractor – he’s doing a fabulous job with the remodel and navigating hubby’s and my little ‘debates’ over material selections and installation. New floor should be finished up today hopefully, and we’re thrilled with it. Some of the new cabinets go in on Monday – so excited to see everything happen, piece by piece. Hats off to you for being the contractor on your kitchen remodel. I’m in awe of you!!!

7. Terra March 22, 2014 at 11:42 am #

Growing up in Michigan, we took trips to Mackinac Island and on the way stopped for pasties. They are a different variation to Irish pasties, but all for sure amazing! I love how flaky your crust is, your pasties look so delicious! Hugs, Terra
    Terra recently posted..Irish Coffee Blondies #RecipeReduxMy Profile

8. laurasmess March 23, 2014 at 8:15 pm #

These sound absolutely delicious. Celeriac, apples, leek confit… heavenly! I will definitely try these Susan. Fab recipe for Yummly, definitely a worthy opponent to the traditional meat-filled Cornish pasties (which I love, by the way… but these sound just as satisfying!) x
    laurasmess recently posted..Slow-Cooked Lamb Ragu with Pappardelle and GremolataMy Profile