Decadent but healthy: celery root bisque with optional broiled lobster tail meat.

celery root bisque with broiled lobster tails

Did you know that Mardi Gras is French for Fat Tuesday? This is a little embarrassing, but I never thought about it. I’ve just always thought of Mardi Gras meaning Let’s Party Wildly With Colorful Makeup and Glitter.  It is, of course, the gorging before Lent begins the following day, Ash Wednesday. And just to complete the lesson, because I’m nothing if not thorough, Lent is the 40(-ish) day period leading up to Easter, which (besides all the religious significance of course) is all about chocolate. For the record, and at the risk of sounding sacrilegious (I’m more Buddhist than anything), I’m totally fine with starting a fasting period with butter and breaking it with chocolate.

We’re doing it a little different here on #SundaySupper this week since we’re more about Sundays and Tuesdays – we’ve called it Fat Sunday (Dimanche Gras) and going for a New Orleans twist since they have one of the biggest celebrations – at least in this country.  Huge thanks to Leslie at La Cocina de Leslie for leading us this week!

I wanted to cook something rich and decadent, but still healthy. I would have loved, for example to make beignets but we really are still trying to lose a little weight after our most recent gorging with, yes, five fabulous batches of brownies over the Christmas holidays. So I settled for a bisque of celery root and half and half,  dotted with broiled lobster for Carnivorous Maximus.  Life is all about balance.

Celery Root Bisque (with Lobster) : #SundaySupper Fat Tuesday

• 4 frozen lobster tails
  • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 1/16 teaspoon Creole seasoning
  • Pinch kosher salt

Directions...

Celery Root Bisque
  1. Set a heavy 4-quart saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the olive oil and butter and once melted, sauté the onion, potato, celery, shallot, Serrano, and garlic until softened and fragrant, about 10 minutes. Add the wine and simmer until the wine is completely absorbed, about 7 - 10 minutes.
  2. Add the celery root, stock, salt, cayenne pepper, and mustard in the saucepan and simmer until the celery root is tender, about 35 to 40 minutes.
  3. Remove the saucepan from the heat and puree the soup using an immersion blender (or in batches using a blender) until smooth. Stir in the half-and-half and milk. Taste, and re-season the soup if necessary and garnish with the chervil.
  4. Serve with 3 tablespoons of the sauteed lobster per soup bowl for the meat eaters at the table.
  5. Broiled Lobster Tails
  6. Using kitchen scissors, cut the lobster shells in half, and firmly open up to butterfly the tails. Gently slice through the lobster meat just enough to open it up. Be careful not to cut all the way through the meat.
  7. Melt the butter and stir in the seasoning and salt.
  8. Turn the tails upside down on a broiler pan, and broil for 7 minutes. Flip over and baste with the seasoned butter. Slip back under the broiler for another 4 minutes or until done. Baste again with the season butter.
  9. The lobster tails can be served as is with additional butter alongside the soup, or gently remove the meat from the shells, coarsely chop, and top each bowl of bisque with the meat of one tail.
Schema/Recipe SEO Data Markup by ZipList Recipe Plugin

Now go check out what everyone else is making for Fat Sunday !!

Cocktails & Other Beverages:

Appetizers:

Main Dishes:

Side Dishes:

Desserts:

Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtagand remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.

Tags: , ,

29 Responses to “Celery Root Bisque (+ Lobster): #SundaySupper” Subscribe

1. Manu March 2, 2014 at 2:56 am #

Such an elegant dish! And your pictures too… very elegant!!! Amazing job!
    Manu recently posted..Ravioli dolci di Carnevale #SundaySupperMy Profile

2. Liz March 2, 2014 at 4:30 am #

I love your elegant bisque…from the delicious, spicy celery root base to the decadent addition of lobster! Sounds amazing, Susan!

3. Marjory @ Dinner-Mom March 2, 2014 at 4:54 am #

I want this right away! It’s one of those soups where you absolutely feel indulgent, but not so guilty that you can’t thoroughly enjoy a bowl. Can’t wait to try it!
    Marjory @ Dinner-Mom recently posted..Cajun Dirty Rice Bowls for #SundaySupperMy Profile

4. Nichole C March 2, 2014 at 6:33 am #

Ha, yea so I didn’t know much about the meaning behind Fat Tuesday/Mardi Gras, either. I am all about the yummy cuisine, though…and this bisque!
    Nichole C recently posted..Muffaletta for “Fat Sunday” and #SundaySupperMy Profile

5. Family Foodie March 2, 2014 at 7:26 am #

Is it wrong that I am over here drooling… literally. I have got to make this beautiful recipe.

6. Tara March 2, 2014 at 7:37 am #

I love celery root and have to try this soup. With lobster that just ups it to a whole new level, gorgeous!!

7. Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers March 2, 2014 at 8:08 am #

Your bisque looks just incredible!! I love everything you have in it!! perfect for a before dinner appetizer or a main dish!!
    Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers recently posted..Sweet Potato Pie Smoothie #SundaySupperMy Profile

8. Heather // girlichef March 2, 2014 at 8:09 am #

I’m pretty positive that with a bowl of this bisque, a lobster tail, a loaf of crusty bread, and a bottle of wine in front of me, I’d be in utter bliss. Gorgeous Susan!
    Heather // girlichef recently posted..Blackberry Fritters #SundaySupperMy Profile

9. Mary @ Fit and Fed March 2, 2014 at 9:34 am #

This looks to die for, you are such an accomplished chef! I make celery root soup and enjoy it but it’s definitely not this sophisticated. An aside– I’ve never seen chervil leaves for sale either in the supermarket or in our farmer’s market. Do you grow your own?
    Mary @ Fit and Fed recently posted..Salad with French Green Lentils, Quinoa, Arugula and Roasted Butternut SquashMy Profile

10. Shaina March 2, 2014 at 10:09 am #

Haha, I had no idea that’s what Mardi Gras meant either! Your soup sounds fantastic and so decadent with lobster…yum!
    Shaina recently posted..Seafood Gumbo for #SundaySupper #MardiGrasMy Profile

11. lizthechef March 2, 2014 at 10:31 am #

Beautiful soup – and I love the elegant touch of lobster.
    lizthechef recently posted..Fresh Plum SalsaMy Profile

12. apuginthekitchen March 2, 2014 at 10:41 am #

What a wonderful bisque and adding the lobster is a very delicious and elegant touch. Carnivorous Maximus, LOL!
    apuginthekitchen recently posted..The Basics- Creme Patissiere, Genoise And A Boston Cream PieMy Profile

13. Carnivorous Maximus March 2, 2014 at 11:16 am #

Gotta say, this bisque stuff is good (might even be edible without the lobster, but downright tasty with it). Who would have thought celery root could have such a unique taste …it looks like a softball !
    C.Max

14. miss messy March 2, 2014 at 11:57 am #

That is a gorgeous photo! You had me at lobster!

15. Jennifer Miller March 2, 2014 at 1:09 pm #

This looks like heaven! Oh my! Celery root and lobster — it sounds yummy!!!!
    Jennifer Miller recently posted..Mini Sweet Potato Pies #SundaySupperMy Profile

16. Laura March 3, 2014 at 4:25 am #

I was just talking to someone about how it has been years since I had lobster. I have been told there is a place down at the coast where I can get some fresh lobster so when the weather is nicer I think we are going to take a trip down to get some.

17. Viviana@bonheurcuisine March 3, 2014 at 5:31 am #

I love the balance in your soup Susan. This bisque is both rich and healthy, a combination only found in great food. I could have it all!
    Viviana@bonheurcuisine recently posted..caramel macadamia cheesecakeMy Profile

18. Katie March 3, 2014 at 6:19 am #

What a wonderful meal! Serve up some lobster, please!

19. Erika March 3, 2014 at 7:16 am #

Haha oh embarrassing…I’d never thought about that either! My one year of French lessons is embarrassed. I love the idea of topping this soup with lobster–Erik would normally not be very excited about celery soup but with lobster?? He would be very excited :)

(Almost as excited as I would be to have five batches of brownies to taste!!)
    Erika recently posted..DIY Pearl SugarMy Profile

20. Nicole @ Daily Dish Recipes March 3, 2014 at 8:39 am #

That lobster just totally made this delicious recipe. I love everything about it!!
    Nicole @ Daily Dish Recipes recently posted..Skinny Baked Beignets #SundaySupperMy Profile

21. cathy March 3, 2014 at 9:10 am #

Oh Susan — you are teasing us with a “healthy” celery root bisque paired with decadent lobster…. yum!
    cathy recently posted..Mardi Gras Savory Beignets #SundaySupperMy Profile

22. Jane's Adventures in Dinner March 3, 2014 at 9:28 am #

So pretty, a seafood recipe is just perfect to represent New Orleans.
    Jane’s Adventures in Dinner recently posted..#MondayMuffin: Blood Orange CakeMy Profile

23. Hezzi-D March 3, 2014 at 5:26 pm #

Awesome! We get celery root in our CSA and I never know what to do with it! Totally making this recipe!
    Hezzi-D recently posted..Broccoli and Cheese Potato Soup (lightened up)My Profile

24. Cindys Recipes and Writings March 4, 2014 at 4:55 am #

So smooth and creamy! Love the sound of lobster with this!
    Cindys Recipes and Writings recently posted..Okra Creole #MardiGras #SundaySupperMy Profile

25. Kim Beaulieu March 5, 2014 at 1:00 am #

I’ve never seen a more beautiful photo of bisque in my life. This looks absolutely divine.
    Kim Beaulieu recently posted..Baked Fudge and a #Giveaway for my 3 Year Bloggy BirthdayMy Profile

26. Nancy @ gottagetbaked March 5, 2014 at 4:53 pm #

Lol, I too used to think Mardi Gras meant “Let’s Party Wildly With Colorful Makeup and Glitter”! I’ve never had celery root (crazy, right?!) but your soup looks deliciously creamy and I’m in LOVE with the lobster on top.
    Nancy @ gottagetbaked recently posted..Banana Bread Pudding for a #FatSunday #SundaySupperMy Profile

27. Sarah March 7, 2014 at 6:10 pm #

I need to try celery root again, it’s been a long time!

28. Renee March 8, 2014 at 2:16 pm #

Oh my what a heavenly dish! I love celeriac and everything else in it. And the lobsters is pure delight. I’ll take two bowls please and thank you.
    Renee recently posted..Artichoke Spinach Pasta for #WeekdaySupperMy Profile