Comfort food crumble made with butternut squash, apples and ginger.
This week’s theme is “Squashin’ Winter” for SundaySupper. It’s still sunny and in the 60’s and 70’s here in Northern California, but luckily the weather isn’t the only thing that drives seasons. Food does too. I crave fall and winter food in November even if we’re grilling out back and eating on the deck. And at the top of the list is winter squash; a hearty, satisfying vegetable for a vegetarian meal. But I have a gazillion squash recipes I love and still haven’t posted here and couldn’t decide which one to make. I was narrowing down the list in my head recently when flipping through my newest cookbook – Bountiful by Todd Porter and Diane Cu of the White on Rice Couple blog. I had met Todd and Diane a couple of years ago when I attended a weekend photography workshop they led (a great workshop I would recommend to anyone!) and bought their cookbook as much for the photos as for the recipe ideas.
Suddenly I turned the page to their Butternut Squash Crumble, and knew it was the dish. I made a bunch of changes, not because I thought their recipe came up short, it doesn’t, but rather because that’s just how I roll. I can’t help myself.
And it’s my new favorite squash dish. I loved it so much I ate
a third half of it before it got to the table. Just to make sure it was good enough to post…
And now, go check out the other squash recipes from the SundaySupper group, and go squash winter!
Farmhouse Butternut and Apple Crumble
(adapted from Bountiful cookbook by Todd Porter and Diane Cu)
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
For the Filling
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup finely chopped mushrooms
- 1/3 cup finely chopped shallots (1 large shallot)
- 4 cups peeled and diced butternut squash, into 3/4″ pieces
- 1 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated ginger root
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh thyme
- 2 cups thinly sliced apple (unpeeled)
- 2 tablespoons dried cherries
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
For the Crumble
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup oats
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon fig jam (or just add another tablespoon brown sugar)
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Pinch ground ginger
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
Preheat the oven to 375˚F, and generously butter a baking dish. I used a pie plate for mine.
In a large frying pan, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and shallots and cook until the shallots are soft and the mushroom begin to melt into the butter, about 7 minutes.
Add the butternut squash and sauté until it softens and begins to brown, about 15 minutes. After the squash has been sautéing for 10 minutes, add the ginger and apple slices. Sauté all together for the final 5 minutes. Add a little extra butter if the skillet is dry, but no more than 1/2 tablespoon.
Stir in the broth, thyme, dried cherries, and salt.
Pour the squash filling into the prepared baking dish. Cover with foil and bake until just tender, about 20 minutes.
Combine all the Crumble ingredients together in a small bowl except the butter. Chop the butter into pieces and add to the mixture. Pinch the butter in the mixture until the crumble is coarse, and some chunks of butter are the size of peas. This can also be done in a small bowl of a food processor fitted with a blade. Just pulse until the chunks of butter are no larger than a pea.
When the squash filling comes out of the oven, scatter the crumble over the top and return to the oven for another 20 minutes, or until the topping is golden brown.
Breakfasts and Breads
- Maple Butternut Squash Donuts from Mess Makes Food
- Pumpkin Sweet Rolls from Basic N Delicious
- Vegan Pumpkin Scones with Maple Nutmeg Icing from Killer Bunnies, Inc
Appetizers, Starters, and Condiments
- Butternut Squash and Couscous Patties-Indian Inspired from Soni’s Food
- Pumpkin Hummus with Spiced Lamb from girlichef
- Quick Pumpkin Butter from Shockingly Delicious
Soups, Sandwiches, and Salads
- Black Bean and Butternut Squash Chili from Supper for a Steal
- Black Bean Pumpkin Soup from What Smells So Good?
- Butternut Squash and Bacon Grilled Cheese from Ruffles & Truffles
- Butternut Squash Soup from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Hearty Quinoa Chicken Stew with Butternut Squash from Citronlimette
- Roasted Buttercup Squash and Black Bean Soup (Dairy free) from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Roasted Butternut Squash and Vegetable Soup from Kudos Kitchen By Renee
- Roasted Squash and Mexican Black Bean Salad from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Roasted Squash and Sesame Noodle Salad from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Butternut Squash and Spinach Quesadillas from The Dinner-Mom
- Butternut Squash Gnocchi with Balsamic Brown Butter from Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Butternut Squash Lasagna from Hip Foodie Mom
- Butternut Squash-Sage Cream Sauce with Sausage Spaghetti from Daily Dish Recipes
- Carnival Squash with Maple Sausage Stuffing from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Chorizo-Stuffed Acorn Squash from Small Wallet Big Appetite
- Butternut Squash with Spicy Wild Rice and Queso Fresco from Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Pumpkin Alfredo from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Pumpkin Enchiladas from La Cocina de Leslie
- Pumpkin Risotto with Bacon, Goat Cheese, and Pecans from The Weekend Gourmet
- Roasted Butternut Squash and Brussels Sprout Pizza from Curious Cuisiniere
- Sausage and Apple Stuffed Acorn Squash from The Messy Baker
- Spaghetti Squash in a Creamy Sausage Sauce from Cookin’ Mimi
- Spaghetti Squash Shrimp Scampi from Pescetarian Journal
- Acorn Squash with Cinnamon and Cranberries from Noshing With The Nolands
- Butternut Squash and Apple Crumble from The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Butternut Squash Gratin with Sage Pesto & Gorgonzola from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Chorizo and Craisin Stuffed Acorn Squash from Family Foodie
- Parmesan-Roasted Acorn Squash from The Urban Mrs
- Pumpkin Macaroni and Cheese from Big Bear’s Wife
- Roasted Butternut Squash with Balsamic Vinegar Honey Butter from Food Lust People Love
- Roasted Butternut Squash with Wilted Kale, Mushrooms and Garlic from Take a Bite Out of Boca
- Skillet Buttercup Squash with Bacon from Magnolia Days
- Slow Cooker Squash and Apples from Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Sweet N Spicy Baked Chipotle Butternut Squash Fries from Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Twice Baked Pumpkin Stuffed Sweet Potatoes from Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Butternut Squash Cupcakes with Browned Butter Frosting from Treats & Trinkets
- Pumpkin Pie Crumb Bars from Pies and Plots
Wine Pairing Recommendations for Squashin’ Winter #SundaySupper from Enofylz Wine Blog
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.Pin It