Comfort food crumble made with butternut squash, apples and ginger.

butternut squash and apple crumble, vegetarian side dish, Thanksgiving

This week’s theme is “Squashin’ Winter” for SundaySupper. It’s still sunny and in the 60’s and 70’s here in Northern California, but luckily the weather isn’t the only thing that drives seasons. Food does too. I crave fall and winter food in November even if we’re grilling out back and eating on the deck. And at the top of the list is winter squash; a hearty, satisfying vegetable for a vegetarian meal. But I have a gazillion squash recipes I love and still haven’t posted here and couldn’t decide which one to make. I was narrowing down the list in my head recently when flipping through my newest cookbook – Bountiful by Todd Porter and Diane Cu of the White on Rice Couple blog. I had met Todd and Diane a couple of years ago when I attended a weekend photography workshop they led (a great workshop I would recommend to anyone!) and bought their cookbook as much for the photos as for the recipe ideas.

Suddenly I turned the page to their Butternut Squash Crumble, and knew it was the dish. I made a bunch of changes, not because I thought their recipe came up short, it doesn’t, but rather because that’s just how I roll. I can’t help myself.

butternut squash and apple crumble, vegetarian side dish, Thanksgiving

And it’s my new favorite squash dish. I loved it so much I ate a third half of it before it got to the table. Just to make sure it was good enough to post…

And now, go check out the other squash recipes from the SundaySupper group, and go squash winter!

Farmhouse Butternut and Apple Crumble

(adapted from Bountiful cookbook by Todd Porter and Diane Cu)

Serves 4

Prep Time: 20 minutes

Cook Time: 40 minutes

For the Filling

• 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 1/3 cup finely chopped mushrooms
  • 1/3 cup finely chopped shallots (1 large shallot)
  • 4 cups peeled and diced butternut squash, into 3/4″ pieces
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated ginger root
  • 1/4 cup vegetable broth
  • 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh thyme
  • 2 cups thinly sliced apple (unpeeled)
  • 2 tablespoons dried cherries
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

For the Crumble

• 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup oats
  • 1 tablespoon brown sugar
  • 1 tablespoon fig jam (or just add another tablespoon brown sugar)
  • 1 teaspoon thyme
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
  • Pinch ground ginger
  • 4 tablespoons unsalted butter

Preheat the oven to 375˚F, and generously butter a baking dish. I used a pie plate for mine.

In a large frying pan, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and shallots and cook until the shallots are soft and the mushroom begin to melt into the butter, about 7 minutes.

Add the butternut squash and sauté until it softens and begins to brown, about 15 minutes. After the squash has been sautéing for 10 minutes, add the ginger and apple slices. Sauté all together for the final 5 minutes. Add a little extra butter if the skillet is dry, but no more than 1/2 tablespoon.

Stir in the broth, thyme, dried cherries, and salt.

Pour the squash filling into the prepared baking dish. Cover with foil and bake until just tender, about 20 minutes.

Combine all the Crumble ingredients together in a small bowl except the butter. Chop the butter into pieces and add to the mixture. Pinch the butter in the mixture until the crumble is coarse, and some chunks of butter are the size of peas. This can also be done in a small bowl of a food processor fitted with a blade. Just pulse until the chunks of butter are no larger than a pea.

When the squash filling comes out of the oven, scatter the crumble over the top and return to the oven for another 20 minutes, or until the topping is golden brown.

Serve warm.

Breakfasts and Breads

Appetizers, Starters, and Condiments

Soups, Sandwiches, and Salads

Main Dishes

Side Dishes

Desserts

Wine Pairing Recommendations for Squashin’ Winter #SundaySupper from Enofylz Wine Blog

Sunday Supper MovementJoin the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET.  Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.

Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.

Tags: , , ,

36 Responses to “Farmhouse Butternut – Apple Crumble: #SundaySupper” Subscribe

1. Renee November 17, 2013 at 4:40 am #

I think I’d eat half of this before it got to the table too. What a lovely recipe!
    Renee recently posted..Skillet Buttercup Squash with Bacon for #SundaySupperMy Profile

2. angela@spinachtiger November 17, 2013 at 6:02 am #

Butternut squash and apples are simply meant to go together. And, I love the addition of those dried cherries.
    angela@spinachtiger recently posted..Roasted Butternut Squash Soup with Browned Butter Sage Leaves, Toasted PecansMy Profile

3. Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers November 17, 2013 at 6:30 am #

Squash crumble! What a perfect dish!! I love it and I would probably eat the whole thing!!
    Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers recently posted..Roasted Squash and Mexican Black Bean Salad #SundaySupperMy Profile

4. Dorothy at Shockingly Delicious November 17, 2013 at 6:55 am #

This looks magnificent!
    Dorothy at Shockingly Delicious recently posted..Quick Pumpkin Butter for #SundaySupperMy Profile

5. Susan 30A EATS November 17, 2013 at 7:35 am #

Sinfully delicious! what a great fall recipe and perfect for Thanksgiving!

6. Heather // girlichef November 17, 2013 at 8:46 am #

Oh, I was SO looking forward to seeing this recipe – and it does not disappoint! It’s so beautiful, and it’s definitely going on my must-try list.
    Heather // girlichef recently posted..Pumpkin Hummus w/ Spiced Lamb {#SundaySupper: Squashin’ Winter}My Profile

7. lizthechef November 17, 2013 at 8:52 am #

I am all over this one, girlfriend!
    lizthechef recently posted..Reclaiming ThanksgivingMy Profile

8. Paula @ Vintage Kitchen Notes November 17, 2013 at 9:31 am #

I saw a savory squash crumble on La Tartine Gourmande last year and thought it was such a cool idea. Now this one looks sensational Susan! Your pics are always so tempting!
    Paula @ Vintage Kitchen Notes recently posted..Roasted Butternut Squash with Spicy Wild Rice and Queso Fresco #SundaySupperMy Profile

9. Shannon R November 17, 2013 at 10:18 am #

I love the apple! What a great idea. Thanks for the awesome recipe!
    Shannon R recently posted..Pumpkin Scones with Maple Nutmeg Icing Recipe #SundaySupperMy Profile

10. Laura Dembowski November 17, 2013 at 10:28 am #

The flavors in this sound so good together! Love the fig jam in the crumble along with the time. This would be a magnificent Thanksgiving side dish!

11. Tara November 17, 2013 at 1:57 pm #

I was looking forward to see this recipe and man it looks so good!! Perfect side dish for so many meals!!!

12. Liz November 17, 2013 at 2:40 pm #

What a gorgeous crumble! I’d be right there with you doing quality control!!!

13. Choc Chip Uru November 17, 2013 at 6:22 pm #

Mmm, this looks like a delicious crumble, so warm and sweet :D

CCU
    Choc Chip Uru recently posted..Candy & Our Winner!My Profile

14. Sarah November 17, 2013 at 7:14 pm #

Never tried a savoury crumble but it looks delicious
    Sarah recently posted..Black Bean Pumpkin Soup – Squashin’ Winter #SundaySupperMy Profile

15. kathia Rodriguez November 17, 2013 at 9:29 pm #

This could be a new side dish on my holiday table
    kathia Rodriguez recently posted..Pumpkin Sweet Rolls #SundaySupperMy Profile

16. Kim@Treats & Trinkets November 18, 2013 at 8:04 am #

I can’t help myself when it comes to making changes to recipes, either. This sounds so good!

17. Sunithi November 18, 2013 at 9:07 am #

look really good Susan! Love the addition of ginger. I may make this one of my thanksgiving sides!

18. Jane's Adventures in Dinner November 18, 2013 at 11:42 am #

This is so brilliant! I’ve never thought of a savoury crumble before but how clever.
    Jane’s Adventures in Dinner recently posted..#MondayMuffins: Jelly Donut MuffinsMy Profile

19. Family Foodie November 18, 2013 at 12:33 pm #

This crumble looks amazing! I would eat it all by myself. This is perfect for the holidays too!

20. Shaina November 18, 2013 at 12:41 pm #

What a beautiful fall-inspired dish!
    Shaina recently posted..Boca Restaurant Review: 13 American TableMy Profile

21. Soni November 18, 2013 at 6:14 pm #

Ooh Susan I’m in love with all the things you’ve put in your crumble!!I would love to try this dish to taste all those lovely flavors with the ginger and thyme.So so good.I would eat a third too :)

22. mjskit November 18, 2013 at 7:20 pm #

At first I thought this was a sweet crumble, but was thrilled to see that it’s a savory one. What a great dish for the holiday table. Very festive but different. Thanks!
    mjskit recently posted..Red Chile Pumpkin SauceMy Profile

23. Sarah | The Sugar Hit November 19, 2013 at 5:20 am #

This looks so gorgeous! Perfect for a non-pie addition to the thanksgiving table!
    Sarah | The Sugar Hit recently posted..Eggnog Peach Cobbler CakeMy Profile

24. Katie November 19, 2013 at 10:45 am #

This turned out beautifully….and sounds like the perfect dish right around this time of year! Love love love it….
    Katie recently posted..Chili Cook OffMy Profile

25. apuginthekitchen November 19, 2013 at 2:34 pm #

What a beautiful recipe Susan, I just love butternut and apples combined and your crumble is sweet and savory and a delicious combination of textures and flavors. How perfect this will be on the Thanksgiving table.
    apuginthekitchen recently posted..Thank You Everyone!My Profile

26. Brianne @ Cupcakes & Kale Chips November 20, 2013 at 2:50 am #

I love the addition of mushrooms to the squash. This looks so good.

27. Laura November 20, 2013 at 5:43 am #

Oh wow a savoury crumble recipe, this sounds fantastic.

28. Cindys Recipes and Writings November 21, 2013 at 3:33 am #

Love the fig in there, Susan!

29. Cass @foodmyfriend November 21, 2013 at 3:53 pm #

This looks super comforting. I would eat it on the couch, wrapped up in my yellow throw blanket :)
    Cass @foodmyfriend recently posted..Thumb Print Coconut Macaroons + A Kez’s Kitchen Give Away!My Profile

30. Alaiyo Kiasi-Barnes November 21, 2013 at 6:56 pm #

I don’t think I would have been able to stay away from this pie for long. I would have eaten more than half. Looks delicious!

31. Nora @ natural noshing March 31, 2014 at 8:58 pm #

What a fantastic recipe! I had you for the secret recipe club this month, and couldn’t have enjoyed this more! Made a few substitutions to make it gluten-free and dairy free, and I’ll be making this for years to come! Thanks so much, happy reveal day!! :)