Moroccan Bean Ragout with Poached Eggs

There’s something about poached eggs on vegetables, grains, or beans that instantly gets us by a fireplace on a cold night. Even if it’s still in the (insanely warm) 80’s outside. This might be the warmest October so far in my memory in the Bay Area, and I’ve lived here for over 25 years. I grew up in Pennsylvania and lived for many years in Massachusetts, and I am so ready for crisp weather, sweaters, and corduroy slacks. I want to pull on knee socks and slip into soft loafers and relax with a book while a football game plays in the background.

vegetarian main dish, Moroccan Bean Ragout with Poached Eggs

But our weather right now invites us to the beach for a cookout. I know. Complaints from paradise. But it just seems wrong.

The weatherman promises colder weather next week, and I’m holding him to it. I’m pulling out my autumn and winter dishes, and ignoring the fan that’s keeping me cool. In a version of ‘build it and they will come’, I figure if I make enough cold weather dishes, fall and winter weather will come.

vegetarian main dish, Moroccan Bean Ragout with Poached Eggs

Cooking Notes…

There are a couple of ways to add the eggs. Most recipes call for cooking off some of the liquid so that the ragout is thick, forming a hollow with a spoon, and plopping a raw egg into the hollow. Simmer the ragout until the egg white becomes solid, but not so long that the yolk completely hardens.

An option is to just fry or poach the egg separately and add it on top at the end. This works just fine too.

Don’t, however, be tempted to broil the egg at the end for a quick cooking. It ruins the texture of the egg and it’s almost impossible to end up with the yolk anything but the texture of a rubber ball. Trust me on this one.

Ras-el-hanout is a spice common to North African and Middle Eastern dishes. The name is Arabic for “head of the shop” and implies a mixture of the best spices the seller has to offer. There’s a lot of variability for what goes into the spice mix, but cardamom, cinnamon, coriander, cumin, and chili peppers are common ingredients. If you can’t find the spice mix, you can make your own, or add a cinnamon stick, a few cardamom pods, and a pinch of dried red pepper flakes.

Omnitarian Table Notes…

When I used to eat sausage, this was one of my favorite comfort dinners for the cold nights of fall and winter from Food52. For my mostly vegetarian life, however, I substituted beans for the sausage. Feel free to add sausage for the meat eaters at your table, pork sausage would be great – or merguez, but I think you’ll find this hearty enough to satisfy everyone at the table without the meat.

Moroccan Ragout with Poached Eggs

serves 4

Prep Time: 30 minutes

Cook Time: 1 hour

• 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 cup diced yellow onion (about ½ medium-large onion)
  • 2 cups diced sweet red pepper
  • 2 tablespoons minced Fresno red chile (or other mildly spicy pepper)
  • 1 ¾ teaspoon Hungarian sweet paprika
  • 1 teaspoon ras-el-hanout spice
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
  • ¼ cup tomato paste
  • 4 ½ cups chopped ripe tomatoes
  • 1 ½ cups red beans
  • 4 large eggs

Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion, peppers, and spices. Cook until the peppers and onions are very soft. Add the tomato paste and cook for five minutes, while occasionally stirring. This base is considered a sofrito in latin american, spanish, and Caribbean cuisine. It should be very fragrant.

Add the tomatoes and beans. Cook for 30 minutes until the beans are heated and the tomatoes form a sauce. Turn the heat up to high for five minutes to evaporate some of the tomato sauce liquid and return the heat to medium-high.

Form four hollows into the ragout with a large spoon and spill a raw egg into each hollow. I recommend breaking each egg individually first into a separate bowl and adding them one at a time. Cover the pan and simmer for ten minutes or until the egg whites firm up but the yolks thicken, but remain runny.

Serve by spooning out an egg with the ragout into a bowl. A thick slice of crusty bread is a great accompaniment.

This week each participant of Sunday Supper is sharing one of their one pot recipes with you! Take a look at the list below. There are enough recipes to get you through this Fall and Winter!

“Take the chill off” Chilis, Soups, and Starters

“Put meat on your bones” Stews

“Make room for seconds” Main Dishes

“Can’t say no” Desserts

Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.

Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here ? Sunday Supper Movement.

Tags: , ,

71 Responses to “SundaySupper: Moroccan Ragout with Poached Eggs” Subscribe

1. Alaiyo Kiasi-Barnes October 6, 2013 at 5:29 am #

What a lovely vegetarian dish. I can’t wait to make this. I love that it includes red beans and eggs. Two of my fav ingredients! Kudos for such lovely photography and a beautiful blog!
    Alaiyo Kiasi-Barnes recently posted..Fall Squash Chili #SundaySupperMy Profile

2. Lane @ Supper for a Steal October 6, 2013 at 5:49 am #

Sounds delicious. I think I like the recipe with the beans more so than if it had sausage!

3. Liz October 6, 2013 at 6:07 am #

What a gorgeous dish! Sausage sounds like a delicious addition :)

4. Constance @FoodieArmyWife October 6, 2013 at 8:42 am #

Ooooo!!!! How gorgeous is this!?

5. Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers October 6, 2013 at 9:11 am #

Yum! I just love all the flavor combinations you have in this dish! Looks so delish!
    Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers recently posted..Mascarpone Pumpkin Cheesecake in the Microwave #SundaySupperMy Profile

6. Chris October 6, 2013 at 9:30 am #

#pinning This is on the #MeatlessMonday list. YUM!!

7. Heather // girlichef October 6, 2013 at 9:58 am #

I would definitely be happy eating this with or without meat – either way promises full flavor and total comfort! And you know what? Even here in NW Indiana, it was in the 80’s for the first week of October; so disappointing to me. Fortunately today is cool and rainy…so it feels like Fall.
    Heather // girlichef recently posted..(Slow Cooker) Dr. Pepper Shredded Chicken #SundaySupperMy Profile

8. Lynda - TasteFood October 6, 2013 at 10:08 am #

This reminds me of shakshuka – a Tunisian specialty. It’s perfect comfort food.
    Lynda – TasteFood recently posted..Lamb Merguez Patties with Couscous SaladMy Profile

• The Wimpy Vegetarian October 6, 2013 at 10:56 am #

It’s a lot like a shakshuka! There are a few of these dishes that originated in northern Africa, the Middle East, and Spain that have a lot of similarity. I’m guessing spread by the Moors, but I’m really not sure. I’m warming up the rest, adding another couple of eggs, and serving it for brunch with a side of football for us :-)
      The Wimpy Vegetarian recently posted..SundaySupper: Moroccan Ragout with Poached EggsMy Profile

9. Shannon R October 6, 2013 at 10:37 am #

This looks amazing. I’m not into runny eggs but the husband is, it’s cool that you can totally portion these things out. It looks so comforting, I wish I had a fireplace!

• The Wimpy Vegetarian October 6, 2013 at 10:58 am #

We moved into an old house a few months ago that has a fireplace converter installed so that any fire we burn will heat the house (think wood-burning stove inside the fireplace). I can’t WAIT to use it for the first time. It’s small, like everything else in the house, but I don’t care.

10. Shannon @VillageGirlBlog October 6, 2013 at 11:14 am #

Oooo I agree. Poached eggs make everything just…richer. Mmmm. Your dish looks amazing. I love the spices to the poaches eggs. Perfect for a chilly day at my house. Yum!

11. Dorothy at Shockingly Delicious October 6, 2013 at 11:19 am #

That is such a handsome dish!
    Dorothy at Shockingly Delicious recently posted..Slow Cooker Hawaiian Kalua Pork for #SundaySupperMy Profile

12. apuginthekitchen October 6, 2013 at 11:27 am #

Oh this is perfect for a chilly night’s dinner. I love the spiced vegetables, beans and egg together. I can’t wait for the chilly weather, it’s started to cool down and I can’t wait to pull the socks on also, I still have my fans on to cool and even ran the AC for the last few days. Cool weather and food like this are welcome for me! I have to make some ras el hanout.
    apuginthekitchen recently posted..My NeighborhoodMy Profile

13. Laura October 6, 2013 at 11:34 am #

Poached eggs are my achilles heel of cooking, I just can’t get them with a lovely runny yoke. Now cooking it like this I think I could have some success with. Looks wonderful.

14. Marjory @ Dinner-Mom October 6, 2013 at 11:47 am #

Such a beautiful dish…your pictures are terrific. A wonderful take on one-pot meals!
    Marjory @ Dinner-Mom recently posted..Mediterranean Chicken Bake for #SundaySupperMy Profile

15. Family Foodie October 6, 2013 at 12:04 pm #

This looks incredible. I love the poached eggs on top. So healthy and full of flavor!

16. CCU October 6, 2013 at 1:33 pm #

That looks like such a warm and delicious breakfast :D

CCU
    CCU recently posted..Happy 2nd Blogiversary!My Profile

17. Lori @ Foxes Love Lemons October 6, 2013 at 1:52 pm #

Ohhhhh yeahhhh. I love shakshuka, but I always wish it had beans. I must try this this winter!

18. The Ninja Baker October 6, 2013 at 2:30 pm #

You had me at poached eggs, Susan! No matter the season, the lovely protein atop steamed white rice or baked potatoes is perfection. I probably would poach mine separately and garnish the top of the shop spiced ragout recipe created by a top of the class chef!

19. Tara October 6, 2013 at 3:01 pm #

Saw this on FB and already shared it. Wow, does it look delicious, I love the addition of the poached eggs, brilliant!!

20. mjskit October 6, 2013 at 7:38 pm #

Other than red beans and rice, I rarely cook red beans. I love that you used them in this dish and I especially love the way you cooked the eggs! What a great meal!
    mjskit recently posted..Chile Pequin Pepper SauceMy Profile

21. EA-The Spicy RD October 6, 2013 at 8:27 pm #

This looks so yummy, even if its super hot here in San Diego too. Here’s to a bit cooler weather for oth of us :-)

22. laurasmess October 7, 2013 at 12:53 am #

That looks absolutely delicious Susan! I adore anything with Moroccan spices… I haven’t tried this dish yet but I’d definitely love to give it a go on a cold evening with some warm crusty bread. Mmmm! Thanks for the recipe. You always write so well :) x
    laurasmess recently posted..Potato and Aubergine MoussakaMy Profile

23. lapadia October 7, 2013 at 6:38 am #

This is a wonderful recipe, right up my alley and the weather is feeling a lot like Autumn, this is added to my “make” list!!
    lapadia recently posted..Jalapeño-Cucumber SherbetMy Profile

24. Amy Kim (@kimchi_mom) October 7, 2013 at 8:18 am #

Is this dish also known as shakshuka or similar? I’ve been wanting to make this for a while now! Love your photos!

25. The Healthy Epicurean October 7, 2013 at 10:06 am #

I absolutely love the combination of pulses and egg. And spicy! What’s not to like? Thank you for a wonderful idea…

26. Stacy October 7, 2013 at 12:04 pm #

You made me laugh with your “if you build it, they will come,” Susan, and I am wondering if that applies to Dubai as well. Our weather is starting to cool off and we are grateful for evenings and early mornings in the eighties. Living in desert or tropical climes for most of the last 20-something years, I’ve learned to just make what I feel like eating and let the weather be hanged!

That said, I think your thick spicy tomato sauce with poached eggs looks divine and I would even eat it in the heat. Delicious!
    Stacy recently posted..Cinnamon Blueberry Muffins for #MuffinMondayMy Profile

27. Julie @ Texan New Yorker October 7, 2013 at 12:54 pm #

This. Looks. Fabulous. Wow! And I just love Moroccan flavors. I’ll have to try this one soon!

28. Bea October 7, 2013 at 10:18 pm #

This sounds like the perfect dsh on a fall evening. I am keeping my fingers crossed for fall weather to hit the Bay Area. Otherwise, hop on I5 and visit us in PDX :)

29. Alice // Hip Foodie Mom October 8, 2013 at 7:34 am #

I love a good ragout!!! Hope the weather cools down for you soon!! LOVE this! Looks so delicious!
    Alice // Hip Foodie Mom recently posted..Red Quinoa Butternut Squash and Kale Salad . . . and a giveaway with Organic Girl!My Profile

30. Tammi @ Momma's Meals October 8, 2013 at 9:25 am #

Wow this looks so delish! Nice and hearty! You make it look simple enough too!

31. Sarah October 9, 2013 at 12:33 pm #

Wow! Reminds me of something my mom used to make for dinner :-)

32. Mary Frances October 9, 2013 at 3:20 pm #

Yum, that looks amazing!! Really, truly beautiful.

33. Cindys Recipes and Writings October 11, 2013 at 8:02 pm #

I’ve never put cooked eggs on top of a dish (don’t tell Isabel) lol looks great Susan!

34. Faye Leong October 19, 2013 at 2:03 am #

My husband and me are trying our best to make good poached eggs and I yours looks great on the ragout. Thanks for sharing, Susan!
    Faye Leong recently posted..Claypot Braised Tofu #SundaySupperMy Profile

35. Viviane Bauquet Farre - Food and Style October 24, 2013 at 4:54 pm #

Vegetarian ragout? Sign me up! And the addition of poached eggs is inspired.

36. Terra November 3, 2013 at 8:13 pm #

Anything with eggs has my attention, I adore eggs. I love this recipe, it is hearty and full of lovely flavors! Yum, Hugs, Terra
    Terra recently posted..Pan de Muerto (Bread of the Dead) #DiadelosMuertosMy Profile

37. Paula @ Vintage Kitchen Notes November 5, 2013 at 3:35 am #

I feel the same as you right now about the weather. We’re in spring here, but the days got colder and rainy… This is a superb dish, and one I can still enjoy here as well! It looks like the perfect brunch Susan!
    Paula @ Vintage Kitchen Notes recently posted..Persian Jeweled Rice #SundaySupperMy Profile

38. Erin January 22, 2014 at 8:16 pm #

Thanks for this recipe! I am making this tomorrow night! Quick question: what type of beans did you use for this recipe?

Thanks,
    Erin

39. Christy@SweetandSavoring April 6, 2014 at 6:25 am #

Just found this and pinned it instantly! I’ve never cooked anything intentionally Moroccan, but I made something similar to this last year. You’re right, that combo of beans, tomato and eggs is so comforting. Can’t wait to try out your recipe!
    Christy@SweetandSavoring recently posted..Travel Retrospective: Tamworth Castle, EnglandMy Profile