roasted poblano peppers stuffed with warm corn salad, cooking for vegetarians and meat eaters

Every summer when fresh peppers and corn show up at the market, I think about making this dish. The poblano peppers take a little effort to roast, peel, slit open and stuff, but it’s all quick work if you roast the peppers earlier in the day. The warm corn salad can be made ahead as well. And the “wow!” effect you’ll get at the table will be well worth the effort.

Turf ‘n Turf: Cooking for the Vegetarian – Omnivore Table

I salt and pepper some shrimp, and sauté them in a little olive oil for my husband, the Resolute Omnivore. I toss them in a little chopped cilantro and finish them with a couple of squeezes of lime.

Both the recipe for the stuffed poblano peppers and the shrimp can be found here on The Weiser Kitchen site, a new web-based magazine recently launched by a friend of mine, Tami Weiser. The site is designed to help people with various food allergies / sensitivities find recipes that fit them and their families. I will be writing a monthly column there called Steak and Kale, featuring recipes for the Vegetarian – Omnivore dinner table. As many of you know, I’m in the process now of wrapping up a proposal to write a cookbook on the same topic, so I hope you’ll check out Tami’s new magazine, and my column there.

And please wish me luck on this proposal !!! I’m in the home stretch now on it !!!

Tags: , , , , ,

17 Responses to “Roasted Poblano Peppers Stuffed with Warm Corn Salad” Subscribe

1. Erika August 14, 2013 at 7:12 am #

Woohoo!! Good luck on the proposal–that sounds like such a great idea, something that I’d definitely use if I ever live with my current boyfriend (a cheese + steak-lover from Wisconsin…) Can’t wait to check out the recipe!

PS. I know poblano and banana peppers are quite different, but do you have any ideas on what to do with banana peppers?? I have a handful that I was thinking about stuffing with quinoa or something, but they’re so tiny…
    Erika recently posted..{Detox} Raw TacosMy Profile

2. lizthechef August 14, 2013 at 8:21 am #

Really excited for you, Susan, to showcase your creative culinary talents. You are the most creative cook I know – truly.
    lizthechef recently posted..Coffee JellyMy Profile

• The Wimpy Vegetarian August 15, 2013 at 11:10 am #

Oh thanks Liz. It’s been taking a lot of time to wrap my mind around it and develop the idea out. And I’m submitting photos of a bunch of the recipes, which as you know takes a lot of time too. But I’m really enjoying the process, and we’ll see where it goes :-)

3. Elizabeth August 14, 2013 at 9:38 am #

Love the recipe. As always, inspiring. The new project sounds great. It is definitely I am going to check out. My son has lots of food allergies and have countless friends that are vegan, gluten free, so you have to start being creative when you are serving a bunch. Best of luck and I will let you know what I think.

• The Wimpy Vegetarian August 15, 2013 at 11:12 am #

Tami’s site could be a great resource for you. It’s a brand new site, so it will take a little while to get it all up to speed, but she’s put a big investment into it and has some great people behind it.

4. Rita August 14, 2013 at 10:11 am #

Good luck Susan!
    Rita recently posted..Comment on Quinoa and Oats Cherry Crisp by Rosie’s KitchenMy Profile

• The Wimpy Vegetarian August 15, 2013 at 11:12 am #

Thanks much Rita!! I think it’s a long shot, but I’m going for it !!!

5. Soni August 14, 2013 at 12:12 pm #

Good luck on the proposal and I’m positive that you will do great :) Love Poblano peppers and the warm corn salad sounds delicious in there!Would love to try!!
    Soni recently posted..Grilled Peaches and Halloumi with Honey and CoconutMy Profile

6. darasi August 14, 2013 at 12:27 pm #

your family, especially your husband must be proud of you :) May you success on the proposal, with your talent, people would love to let you join in :)

7. Norma Chang August 15, 2013 at 10:51 am #

Good luck on your proposal, everything is going to go well and as planned. Much success.
    Norma Chang recently posted..Harvest Monday, August 12, 2013 & Container GardeningMy Profile

• The Wimpy Vegetarian August 15, 2013 at 11:14 am #

Thanks Norma! You’re a pro at this, so you understand even better than I that it’s a real process. And I completely agree, whatever happens will be the best thing – whatever it is :-)

8. Pamela @ Brooklyn Farm Girl August 17, 2013 at 3:44 pm #

Good luck with your proposal and beautiful recipe! I’m always looking for pepper ideas as we are harvesting them like crazy right now in the garden. Thanks!

9. Mary Frances August 20, 2013 at 2:18 pm #

Wishing you very good luck on the proposal!! How exciting!

10. mjskit August 20, 2013 at 9:53 pm #

Love the corn salad in the chile pepper! This would work great with our green chiles as well. YUM!
    mjskit recently posted..Pasta with Fresh Tomatoes and BasilMy Profile