Peanut Butter Cookies with Chocolate Chips

Email to someonePrint this pageShare on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterPin on PinterestGoogle+Share on LinkedInShare on StumbleUponShare on Yummly

#Secret Recipe Club: Slightly chewy, old-fashioned peanut butter cookies, with chocolate chips.

peanut butter cookies with chocolate chips, old fashioned

This is my first month to post with the Secret Recipe Club, and I’m really excited. But there was a little bump in the road on my way to this post.

I came home one evening a couple of weeks ago, checked email and Facebook before heading to bed (please tell me I’m not the only person here who does that), and noticed a cascade of emails from the SRC group chirping about their posts that had just gone up. I felt a burst of panic. Oh God, I thought. Was my post due tonight?

I hadn’t even bought the ingredients yet. How could I have gotten the date wrong? The blog I had been assigned, Turnips 2 Tangerines written by Lynn, wasn’t going to be highlighted the following morning along with everyone else’s. There are rules around this, and I was sure I would be kicked out of the Club before I had even started. I felt horrible.

My husband, whose marriage survival skills immediately kicked in, didn’t tell me I was over-reacting, or point out it was just blogging. Instead, he generously offered to run to the local 7-11 store to pick up ingredients. I glanced at my watch. Ten minutes to midnight. It’s the 7-11 store, not the 7-12 store. I had to work with what I already had.

Could I find a recipe, make it, photograph it, write it up, and sneak the post in before 3am (6am on the east coast)? I didn’t think so. So I sent my SRC leader an email explaining how badly I had messed up. Well, I actually sent her three. I know, I know. An over-reaction.

It wasn’t until an hour or two later that I suddenly remembered that different groups have different posting dates. My group is D, not due for another two weeks. Big. Huge. Relief. I wrote a fourth email to my SRC leader saying, essentially, ‘um…never mind :-/’. But in my fatigued state, never hit ‘send’. The next morning, of course she said no worries. And of course I responded oh thank goodness. But I felt pretty stupid for not being able to follow a simple calendar, and for hitting the drama note before I had even left the gate. A rough start.

I made Lynn’s Old Fashioned Peanut Butter Cookies the next day.  I’d had my eye on them along with her Tortellini Lentil Soup and Maple Baked Beans. But let’s face it, by then I desperately needed cookies. I made some adjustments for baking these at 7000 feet above sea level, and added some chocolate chips. For making these at sea level, just go to Lynn’s original recipe on Turnips 2 Tangerines.They were just the ticket to feeling better, and if I hadn’t had to share them with my husband, I would have eaten every single one. They have just the right combination of chewiness and crumble, and are so easy to make.

Best of all, I found you can make them with ingredients you probably have hanging around your kitchen, even if you want to make them at midnight and the stores are all closed.

Mountain Baking: Old Fashioned Peanut Butter Cookies with Chocolate Chips

Makes approximately 40 cookies

Prep Time: 20 minutes

Cook Time: 12 minutes

• 1 1/4 cups (5.6 ounces) all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
  • 1/2 cup peanut butter
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup packed brown sugar (or make your own!)
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup chocolate chips

Preheat the oven to 375˚F convection, and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or a silpat.

Stir together the flour, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl using a whisk. It’s important to evenly distribute the baking soda as much as possible through the flour.

In the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter for a couple of minutes until light and fluffy.

Add peanut butter and sugars, and beat again until fluffy.

Add the eggs and vanilla extract, and beat well.

Remove the bowl from the standing mixer and add the dry ingredients in thirds, folding them into the dough with a spatula. Each third should be fairly well combined before adding the next third. This method helps prevent the gluten in the flour from developing too much, keeping the cookie tender.

When the dry ingredients are completely mixed into the dough, fold in the chocolate chips, and scoop the dough into small balls using a small ice cream scoop. Place them on the lined cookie sheet roughly 2 inches apart. I used a scoop that was a little more than 1 inch diameter. Crisscross the tops of the balls with the tines of a fork so that they’re flattened.

Bake for 11 – 12 minutes. The cookies will still be soft in the centers, but the edges will be firming up and a golden brown. If you bake them until they’re firm, by the time they cool, they won’t be chewy at all. They’ll just break apart.

Remove from the oven, and keep the cookies on the cookie sheet for one minute before removing to a cooling rack. Allow to cool enough to firm up, if you can wait that long, before sneaking a few.

You like vegetables? Me too! Keep up to date, get exclusive recipes & don't miss a single delicious thing!

Mex stuffed sweet potatoes 800X533
hot buttered rum apple pie
double crusted apple galette 800X533
Plum Salad with Avocado and Mozzarella
Avocado Tomatillo Soup - 800 X 533
Tomato Pie
Summer Peach Cake
Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto (in Pasta)
Caprese panini with pesto, grilled tomatoes and melted mozzarella.
Lemony 3 Bean Salad with Tomatoes
15 Ways to Eat Corn OFF the Cob

1. says

Hi! I had to laugh when I read this because it is something I would do:) This was my first time posting a recipe for The Secret Recipe Club and I think I had a dream similar to your “nightmare” I was sure I would post either to late or to early! Thanks for choosing my recipe for Old Fashion Peanut butter cookies:) I have made these cookies many times late at night when my kids would inform me they signed me up for the bake sale at school the next day. I always had the ingredients on hand~Lynn @ Turnips 2 Tangerines

2. says

These sound and look lovely. I love the peanut butter/chocolate combination. What may I ask do you have to change for high altitude cooking and why? I have no experience of this but I like to learn knew things so it would be interesting to learn the reasoning beyond it =)

3. says

I didn´t send the emails, but had a similar reaction when I read a mail saying it was posting date for group C. I was in group D, right? right? I had to go check it all again. And then yesterday i rechecked the scheduled post more than a few times. Is it scheduled, will it post? Even though we have until noon to post! You don´t want to mess up on the first assignment! These are gorgeous cookies Susan! Pb and chocolate, such a crowd pleaser.
    Paula @ Vintage Kitchen Notes recently posted..Cherry Almond Crumble – small batch – #SRCMy Profile

4. says

I so enjoyed reading this post Susan. It sounds like something I would completely do so I totally understand your sense of panic, relief and then embarrassment. Been there, felt that. LOL Nice job on the cookies…They look yummy!

5. says

I remember when I first started SRC, I had a ton of spaz moments where I was like WAIT is it today? Did I get this right? – so don’t feel like you’re the only one 😛

The cookies look amazing!

Great post for your first reveal – welcome to Group D!

6. says

Welcome to the SRC! I hope your future adventures will be less painful, although I had to laugh when you revealed the detail of panicking two weeks in advance 😉

This sounds like something I would do, so you are safe with me 😉

I’ve been a member for almost 2 years, and every month I am eager for the last Monday to arrive, it’s such a fun day!

so, I hope to see you around for many many many posts in the SRC

7. says

I can’t tell you how many times I entered the incorrect date for an event on my IPad…. Finally I slowed down and started double checking my entries. All is good now! I am happy your Secret Recipe Club dates all worked out because I am very much enjoying the lush Old fashioned Peanut Butter Cookies!
    Deb recently posted..Savory Summer Hand PiesMy Profile

8. says

I am patiently waiting to qualify to be a member of SRC, I am pretty new to food blogging and only have about 25 recipes on my blog so far, only 1/4 of the required 100. I so appreciate your high altitude version of the recipe, here in Albuquerque, NM, we are at least a mile high, and plenty dry! I am also really excited to add your blog to the many food blogs I follow, as my daughter is a “pescatarian” – she considers herself a vegitarian, but she eats fish and sea food. We are always looking for ways to satisfy her protein needs without getting too boring. Unfortunately, she often gets a fish fillet of some kind, ’cause it’s hard enough to come up with and prepare one meal for the family, soy nothing of two! I really look forward to reading more of your blog!

• says

I can remember when I was at your stage! It wasn’t that long ago. I waited and waited until I had the required 100 and a bit more and I’m really happy to be in now. You’ll get here too :-). I did a lot of high altitude baking this summer – if you’re interested in some of the things I made, I’m pretty sure there’s a category here. I should make sure! We spent the summer at 7000 feet, but we’re back at sea level now. It’s really different for both cooking and baking, isn’t it? Thanks for visiting my blog!!
      The Wimpy Vegetarian recently posted..Old Fashioned Peanut Butter Cookies (with Chocolate Chips): Secret Recipe ClubMy Profile

9. says

That was a great story…I had a similar experience but it was with the participation form. I didn’t realize I had to fill it out for each month…I hadn’t even done a post and I thought I was going to get kicked out for not filling out the form…but the ladies running this group are great and understood since I was knew I missed it.

This is a great pick for your first post…cookies look great!

10. says

Welcome to SRC. Brilliant recipe especially as I love peanut butter and I love cookies. I’m so glad you didn’t miss reveal day – it can be quite nerve wrecking. I have to use the time zone converter and always worry that I’ll get it wrong but I’ve been ok so far :)

11. says

omg I hate that feeling of panic when I realize I’ve totally dropped the ball! Kudos to your husband! Sometimes when I’m running around like a lunatic, baking, photographing and blogging at the last minute for an event, my hubby rolls his eyes and says “it’s only a blog.” That’s when I punch him in the throat (in my mind). An old co-worker of mine once went home after work, took a nap, woke up at 7 pm and thought she had overslept for work. She actually got back on the bus to the office to realize that it was only the evening of the same day. It happens to the best of us! Good thing you made these gorgeous cookies to soothe yourself. PB & chocolate is the best combo ever!
    Nancy @ gottagetbaked recently posted..I’m Still Alive and I Made Peach Blueberry PieMy Profile