Cherry cobbler with hint of brandy with coconut-cardamom biscuit topping.

cherry brandy cobbler with coconut biscuit, easy entertaining, summer dessert

Hot summer days call for lazy desserts. As I write this, the air is heavy, with hints of the thunderstorms that sweep through in the late afternoons. The breeze picks up, and I can feel it moving along my inner arm, swirling around the crook of my elbow. The bliss of a lazy Saturday in late July.

I sink into my cushioned patio chair and think about cobbler. It’s the perfect summer dessert: easy to make, and really composed of two desserts. A twofer. A biscuit top, dusted with sugar, capping syrupy fresh fruit.

Right now, bright, shiny cherries are everywhere, so that’s my natural leaning today. But blackberries, blueberries, and even peaches work as well. See what looks good at your farmer’s market. I added brandy to mine, but feel free to add some fresh herbs if that’s your preference. Oh, and I added a touch of coconut to the biscuit topping for a macaroon feel, but only because I had some in my cupboard.

Enjoy, but don’t go to a lot of trouble with this cobbler. Summer is a time to kick back and savor the day.

A Few Cooking Notes:

Most biscuit toppings call for butter, and quite a bit of it. I chose to substitute the traditional butter with buttermilk. If you prefer a more buttery crust, no problem, just substitute 1/4 cup unsalted butter for the 1/4 cup buttermilk.

Cherry Brandy Cobbler with Coconut Biscuit Topping

Serves 6 – 8

Prep Time: 20 minutes

Cook Time: 60 minutes

Cherry Filling

• 5 cups sweet cherries
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon instant tapioca
  • 1/2 cup dried cherries
  • 3 tablespoons brandy
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • pinch kosher salt

Coconut Biscuit Topping

• 3/4 cups flour (3 3/4 ounces)
  • 1 tablespoon coconut sugar (or regular sugar)
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
  • 1/4 cup sweetened, shredded coconut
  • pinch kosher salt
  • 3 tablespoons plain yogurt
  • 1/4 cup buttermilk
  • 1/2 teaspoon turbinado sugar

Cherry Filling

Preheat the oven to 350˚F.

Pit the cherries using a cherry pitter. You should end up with about 4 cups cherries.

Toss in the remaining ingredients, and allow to sit on the counter while you make the biscuit dough.

Coconut Biscuit Topping

Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, cardamom, coconut and salt together in a medium bowl. Toss with a fork and rub between your fingers to mix the coconut into the dry ingredients.

Mix the yogurt and buttermilk together in a small bowl and add to the dry ingredients. Mix well with a fork until it comes together into a dough.

Pour the cherries into a baking dish (I used one that was 8″ X 6″), and spoon the dough on top. Sprinkle with turbinado sugar for a little crunch.

Bake for 1 hour, or until the biscuit topping is lightly browned, and the cherry filling is bubbly.

Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.

This week’s Sunday Supper celebrates farmer’s markets and local produce. Check out the great recipes below for ideas of what to do with your latest CSA stash, or trip to the market, and join us tonight at 4 pm (California time) for a Farmer’s Market twitter chat!

Appetizers & Salads

Succotash from Magnolia Days
3 Easy Japanese Spinach Recipes from NinjaBaking.com
Michigan-Made Meal with Seasoned Potato Chips from Foxes Love Lemons

Entrees

Summer Veggie Pizza from Country Girl In The Village
Tomato Pie from The Hand That Rocks The Ladle
Kitchen Sink Vegetable Curry from What Smells So Good?
Margherita Pizza from Growing Up Gabel
Cheesy Zucchini Fritters from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
Three Sauces with Summer Herbs to Transform a Simple Grilled Dinner from Cook the Story
Vegetable Quesadillas from Cookin’ Mimi
Mushroom Scallion Risotto from Vintage Kitchen Notes
Lemony Summer Linguine with Grilled Vegetables from Neighborfood
Pasta alla Norma Nuda from Juanita’s Cocina
Arugula Pizza from Family Foodie

Desserts

Peach Cobbler from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
Coconut Cherry Bars from Killer Bunnies, Inc
Lightened Up Peach and Blueberry Cobbler from Peanut Butter and Peppers
Cherry Brandy Cobbler from The Wimpy Vegetarian
Peach Maple Ice Cream from Pies and Plots
Cherry Clafoutis from Food Lust People Love
Roasted Figs with Caramel, Honey Ice Cream and Aged Balsamic from Crazy Foodie Stunts
Peach Ice Cream Paletas from Basic N Delicious
Gluten Free Sour Cherry Cake from No One Likes Crumbley Cookies

Join the #SundaySupper conversation on Twitter each Sunday.  We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world.  Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm EST and you do not want to miss out on the fun.  Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat.  Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.

Tags: , , ,

47 Responses to “Cherry Cobbler + Coconut Biscuit: #SundaySupper” Subscribe

1. apuginthekitchen July 28, 2013 at 5:42 am #

This really sounds delicious Susan, I love cobbler and have to make this one.
    apuginthekitchen recently posted..Kreative Bloggers AwardMy Profile

2. Debra July 28, 2013 at 5:43 am #

This looks so delicious. Love the addition of dried cherries.
    Debra recently posted..The Garden TourMy Profile

3. Paula @ Vintage Kitchen Notes July 28, 2013 at 6:15 am #

Oh, the flavors in this cobbler Susan! I can this all summer. I adore cherries, who doesn´t right?, but I never had them with coconut. Gorgeous pics!
    Paula @ Vintage Kitchen Notes recently posted..Mushroom Scallion Risotto – #FarmersMarket #SundaySupperMy Profile

4. Renee July 28, 2013 at 6:36 am #

I can’t think of what I like most about this. The cherries, the added brandy, or the brilliant use of coconut in the biscuit topping.

5. Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers July 28, 2013 at 6:52 am #

I love, love, love the coconut topping! What a marvelous idea!! Looks incredible!!
    Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers recently posted..Lightened Up Peach and Blueberry Cobbler #SundaySupperMy Profile

6. Jen @JuanitasCocina July 28, 2013 at 8:02 am #

You had me at coconut biscuit topping…and brandy.

7. Liz July 28, 2013 at 10:00 am #

Oh, what an amazing cobbler! I love that you added coconut to your topping…YUM!!!

8. TasteFood July 28, 2013 at 11:18 am #

There’s so much to like about this recipe. I love the cherries, brandy, topping…. yum.
    TasteFood recently posted..Pear, Plum and Blueberry Crisp with Walnut StreuselMy Profile

9. Debra Elliott July 28, 2013 at 12:23 pm #

Yummy in my tummy cherry goodnes!
    Debra Elliott recently posted..“Homemade with Love” ReviewMy Profile

10. Sarah Reid, CNP (@jo_jo_ba) July 28, 2013 at 12:30 pm #

That is SUCH a cool idea, the flavours and textures totally work with each other too

11. Alaiyo Kiasi-Barnes July 28, 2013 at 1:34 pm #

All I can say is, WOW! I love the image of that Cherry Brandy Cobbler appearing as your web page loads. What a gorgeous site you have (love the photos).

Alaiyo

12. The Ninja Baker July 28, 2013 at 1:55 pm #

Your cobbler looks insanely good, Susan. I want some now! Oh, well, I’ve got your recipe…By the way, I am inspired that you gave up the corporate life in favor of culinary food-writing and photography. Thank you for the inspiration <3

• The Wimpy Vegetarian July 29, 2013 at 11:41 am #

Thanks Kim. I so don’t miss the corporate life, but I honestly did enjoy it for a very long time. I needed that level of stimulation and thrived on it. And then suddenly I realized that instead of giving me energy, it was robbing me of it. I love the creative focus to my life now, and am excited about where it may lead next :-)
      The Wimpy Vegetarian recently posted..Cherry Brandy Cobbler with Coconut Biscuit Topping #SundaySupperMy Profile

13. Heather @girlichef July 28, 2013 at 4:55 pm #

Oh my gosh, Cherry cobbler/crisp/pie/whatever is probably one of my all-time favorite things about summer. This Coconut Biscuit Topping is so killing me, though…I NEED to try it!

14. Camille July 28, 2013 at 8:23 pm #

Nothing better than a cobbler during the summer! I love the idea to use buttermilk in place of the butter. Totally trying that next time!

15. Linda | The Urban Mrs July 28, 2013 at 10:20 pm #

Oh wow! With brandy? I’m totally sold! Now where do we normally get coconut sugar? Sounds very yum!

16. Nancy @ gottagetbaked July 28, 2013 at 10:20 pm #

Cobblers are totally the perfect summer dessert! I haven’t conquered pie crust yet so the simplicity of making a biscuit topping and dropping it onto fruit is right up my alley. This looks incredible! Cherries are my favourite summer fruit. The Okanagan region of British Columbia grows the most incredible bing cherries and as soon as they’re available, I can’t stop eating them. I can’t wait to try your recipe!
    Nancy @ gottagetbaked recently posted..Onion Bacon Jam with Bread ‘n Brie for #SundaySupper #FarmersMarketMy Profile

17. Stacy July 28, 2013 at 11:04 pm #

I am sitting on that patio with you and thinking about cobbler and fresh fruit. Mmmmm. It’s baking sweet cherry fragrance into the breeze. Thank you.

I love that you used two kinds of cherries in this, Susan. The deep dark jewel tone red is gorgeous.
    Stacy recently posted..Cherry Clafoutis for #SundaySupperMy Profile

18. madscar July 29, 2013 at 1:32 am #

Love it! This is amazing :)
    madscar recently posted..Dolphin Tattoo DesignsMy Profile

19. Laura | Small Wallet, Big Appetite July 29, 2013 at 7:48 am #

Oh wow brandy in a cobbler, sounds incredible

20. Shannon R July 29, 2013 at 11:08 am #

Holy wow that biscuit topping looks amazing. I love the coconut. I just want to go swimming in it!
    Shannon R recently posted..Año Nuevo State ReserveMy Profile

21. Laura Dembowski July 29, 2013 at 12:20 pm #

I’m not a big fan of biscuits, but I will just eat all of this filling! Adding brandy was a great idea!

22. Jane's Adventures in Dinner July 30, 2013 at 12:58 pm #

Yum! Great coconut topping!
    Jane’s Adventures in Dinner recently posted..Celebrating This Month’s Flavour: Fish TacosMy Profile

23. mjskit July 30, 2013 at 6:59 pm #

OH I would love to be sitting on my porch right now eating a bowl of this! The love cherry filling and that biscuit looks SO good! Great idea to substitute buttermilk for the butter. I’m going to have to try that! Great dessert!
    mjskit recently posted..Peach Pecan Ice CreamMy Profile

24. Cindys Recipes and Writings July 30, 2013 at 9:39 pm #

cHERRY and coconut sound so good together!
    Cindys Recipes and Writings recently posted..Cheesy Zucchini Fritters #SundaySupperMy Profile

25. Sarah | Curious Cuisiniere July 31, 2013 at 7:54 am #

Double whammy here. You had me at brandy with your cherries and double hooked me with the coconut in the topping! Awesome!

26. April Harris August 6, 2013 at 2:46 pm #

What a gorgeous cobbler! I love the buttermilk in the topping and the coconut is such a great accent to the cherries.

27. Mary @ Fit and Fed August 19, 2013 at 10:36 pm #

I love the idea of combining the cherries with a little brandy in the cobbler. And the topping looks excellent, with tenderness from the dairy, flavor from the coconut sugar, and the sparkle and crunch of the bit of turbinado sugar on top. I like the healthy touches of the buttermilk and coconut sugar, too.
    Mary @ Fit and Fed recently posted..Two Summer PicnicsMy Profile

28. Angie November 18, 2014 at 2:50 am #

Would using canned tart cherries instead of fresh alter the recipe in any way?

• The Wimpy Vegetarian November 18, 2014 at 4:27 pm #

I’m so glad you asked, Angie. The recipe is for sweet cherries, not tart. If fresh ones aren’t available, I’ve used frozen. I’ve not used canned sweet cherries – mainly because what I see is mostly pie filling. I’m going to modify the recipe right now to read sweet cherries instead of just cherries. Thank you so much for your question!!
      The Wimpy Vegetarian recently posted..Maple Candied Carrots with Currants: #FallFestMy Profile