Honey – Thyme Cornbread

Email to someonePrint this pageShare on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterPin on PinterestGoogle+Share on LinkedInShare on StumbleUponShare on Yummly

Moist cornbread infused with honey and thyme flavors, made tender by adding yogurt to the batter.

Easy cornbread with yogurt honey and thyme

It’s Super Bowl Sunday, and my home team is playing! I won’t pretend to be a football fan, but I sure have enjoyed watching all the playoff games, and will be front row center in front of the TV later this afternoon to cheer them on. But honestly I’m looking forward as much to the commercials as the game itself. I understand the object of the game, but still get lost in the vagaries of touchbacks, offsides, safeties, holding, and really most anything other than ‘Touchdown!’. Someday I really should learn the game. Until then, I’ll just focus on the food.

Contrary to every other food related missive today (and for the past several days), I’m not posting a Super Bowl snack, or chili, or half-time dessert. Not because I don’t think all those posts are great, and wouldn’t love to have the food on my table. They are, and I do. But even though I have a few ‘go-to’ appetizers, I still don’t consider them to be my strength. And the chili I experimented with on Friday didn’t come close to working well enough to be shared. Or even made again. Ever.

So I focused on what was initially planned as the chili’s sidekick – cornbread. It took four batches of cornbread to get the texture and flavor I was looking for, which should tell you, if nothing else, that cornbread comes together quickly. It should also suggest that there are a lot of variations of cornbread. If you haven’t researched cornbread lately, let me clue you in. Some are sweetened with regular sugar, brown sugar, maple syrup, or honey; or not sweetened at all. Some use corn kernels, most don’t. Some include herbs, most don’t. The number of eggs in the recipes I perused ranged from one to four; and the flours/corn meal ratios were all over the place.

My first batches were sweet and savory, but used a rosemary oil that overpowered everything including the corn. Then I made a salsa cornbread that involved draining the salsa and spreading it over the batter as a ‘layer’, which was covered with more batter. It was interesting OK, but the texture was too dense. I went back to my savory sweet idea, nixing the rosemary oil and pumping up the honey a bit; and played with texture by experimenting with the number of eggs, yogurt/crème fråiche/ sour cream, and buttermilk. My husband Myles asked how my final version would compare with a traditional cornbread, and I have no idea what that even is any more. But we did agree the traditional cornbreads likely didn’t include yogurt.

Honey Cornbread with Thyme

• 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
  • 3/4 cup plain, non-fat yogurt
  • 1/2 cup buttermilk
  • 2 eggs
  • 3 tablespoons honey
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Butter an 8″ X 8″ baking dish.

Combine the dry ingredients in a large bowl, and whisk together. If you’re weighing the flours, I used 4.5 ounces for one cup.

Combine the wet ingredients in the bowl of a standing mixer and mix on medium high for 2 minutes. Pour into the dry ingredients and mix together with a spatula or large spoon only until all the ingredients come together into a batter.

Pour the batter into the buttered baking dish, and bake for 35 minutes, or until a knife inserted into the middle comes out clean.

Serve warm with a drizzle of honey, or butter, or both.

You like vegetables? Me too! Keep up to date, get exclusive recipes & don't miss a single delicious thing!

Mex stuffed sweet potatoes 800X533
hot buttered rum apple pie
double crusted apple galette 800X533
Plum Salad with Avocado and Mozzarella
Avocado Tomatillo Soup - 800 X 533
Tomato Pie
Summer Peach Cake
Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto (in Pasta)
Caprese panini with pesto, grilled tomatoes and melted mozzarella.
Lemony 3 Bean Salad with Tomatoes
15 Ways to Eat Corn OFF the Cob

1. says

This looks great Susan. Always love to infuse classic foods with the unexpected surprise of herbs and spices. Can’t wait to try it out. Maybe I’ll even seek out a thyme honey!

2. says

Oh my gosh does that look good!! I love cornbread and honey, hot with a big piece of butter. I just love the addition of thyme, I think its the perfect compliment to the cornbread and honey. I have been looking for a good cornbread recipe, I am cornbread challenged, mine is always so dry. Yours looks moist and well, perfect. Saving and making!!
    apuginthekitchen recently posted..Pasta PiselliMy Profile

3. says

Wow, that is one photogenic chunk of cornbread! I love that you went through multiple versions before you were satisfied with the end result…I’ve been on the hunt for a truly great cornbread and will definitely be trying this out when I get some yogurt! (Although do you think Greek would work instead of plain yogurt?)

I’m not a huge football fan either, but my hometown team is playing too! (Just checked your about page…we are rooting for the same team :)) My boyfriend and I just watched them score 12 points in like 4 minutes woo!
    Erika recently posted..I’ve Moved! Pancake Fridays @ The Pancake Princess + a detox updateMy Profile

• says

They were amazing! It’s a football game again. Still a tough game, but it’s not over yet guys!! OK, on the recipe – yes I think Greek yogurt would work. No worries. I’m also going to make it with corn flour – probably tomorrow. Based on one of my versions, when I used it, it had a beautiful smooth texture. I like a corny mealy texture, but it’s all so subjective. Which is why there are so many versions. But the yogurt brings in a nice moisture to it without the fat :-)
      The Wimpy Vegetarian recently posted..Thyme For Honey CornbreadMy Profile

4. says

Nice! I’ll bet the yogurt makes this moister than traditional cornbread. Traditional cornbread is great right out of the oven but tends to be dry as a leftover while this probably is not. The yogurt is a nice way to cut down the fat, and honey– yes. I love its flavor and browning qualities in cornbread. Just for fun, I’m linking to my gluten-free cornbread recipe from a while back.
    Mary @ Fit and Fed recently posted..Honey Cornbread (gluten-free, dairy-free)My Profile

5. says

My mother was one of those southern women that didn’t like sweet cornbread; therefore, she never made it. Well, I feel that there is a time and a dish for everything. I like my cornbread with and without sweetener, even though I never make it sweet. I think this recipe is going to change that. The 3 Tbsp. of honey has me craving this cornbread! Love the addition of the thyme!
    mjskit recently posted..Sauteed Mushrooms with Onion and SpiceMy Profile

6. says

Made it last night and substituted Bob’s Corn Flour for the corn meal, but with the same proportions. Also used Greek-style non-fat yogurt. It turned out delicious. The texture difference was pleasing to me. More like a traditional sponge cake with less crumb, but still had plenty of spring. Eating a piece now! Thanks Susan.

7. DJ says

I came across this recipe on foodgawker. We’re currently meat free & wheat free in our house. I substituted the wheat flour your recipe calls for with brown rice flour. We loved how these turned out!