Easy warm appetizer of baked feta topped with blue cheese, honey and dates.

Honeyed Warm Feta with Dates 600LT : The Wimpy Vegetarian

I have friends who are appetizer rock stars, but I’ll be the first to admit I’m challenged in this area. By the time I’ve planned a first course, the main event, and dessert, the appetizer becomes an afterthought. At the last minute, I’m invariably raiding the refrigerator for some forgotten olives that might be stashed away, and testing boxes of crackers to see if they’ve gone stale. Each time swearing I won’t let this happen again.

It’s not that I find appetizers daunting. This is a bandwidth issue. I need something easy that won’t steal time from preparations for the rest of the meal. After years, ok maybe even decades, of trying to present multiple impressively complicated dishes to wow friends and family, I’m trying hard to simplify my menus so I can actually spend time with my guests, and still create a memorable meal.

This little appetizer was inspired by one I saw in Amanda Hesser’s The Essential New York Time Cookbook a couple of years ago, and is still one of my favorites. Assuming I remember to pick up a block of feta cheese and some Point Reyes Blue, the other ingredients are standard pantry items in my kitchen. It only takes a few minutes to pull together, and hits the notes of rustic elegance I like. I serve it with a variety of crackers and some of those olives I always have hanging around the refrigerator. If you’re looking for a last minute appetizer for tonight, or any night, this might fit the bill.

Honeyed Warm Feta with Dates

Serves 4 – 5 people

Prep Time: 10 minutes

Cook Time: 7 – 10 minutes

• 1 block feta cheese
  • Coarsely ground pepper
  • 2 tablespoons blue cheese (I use Pt. Reyes Blue)
  • 2 tablespoons honey, divided (preferably Orange Blossom)
  • 5 – 6 dates
  • Fresh thyme
  • Your favorite crackers

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. A toaster oven works great for this. Line a baking sheet with foil, and place the block of feta on it. Grind a few twists of pepper over the top. Bake for five to seven minutes, or until softened.

Remove and crumble the blue cheese over the top, and drizzle with one tablespoon of honey. Slide back into the oven for another couple of minutes to melt the blue cheese.

Remove, sprinkle the dates on top, drizzle with the remaining honey, and sprinkle on the thyme as a finishing touch.

Serve with your favorite crackers.

Tags: , , , ,

17 Responses to “Honeyed Warm Feta with Dates” Subscribe

1. Rodger Helwig December 31, 2012 at 1:14 pm #

Just another intriguing recipe from my talented friend from across the bridge.

2. Rosemary December 31, 2012 at 1:47 pm #

I’m like you when it comes to appetizers. This is one that fits my style! My latest easy app is toasted walnuts, almonds and pecans drenched in honey then drizzled over sliced Toscano cheese (from Trader Joe’s) on crackers or thinly sliced toasted bread.
    Rosemary recently posted..Comment on Hint-of-Bitters Sweet Potatoes by Rita’s KitchenMy Profile

3. Dorothy at ShockinglyDelicious December 31, 2012 at 1:57 pm #

That looks spectacular! Great flavor combo you have going on.
    Dorothy at ShockinglyDelicious recently posted..Fingerlings and FondueMy Profile

4. Rita December 31, 2012 at 2:54 pm #

As Rosemary said, this appetizer is my style too. Almost anything with a good cheese make a simple satisfying starter.

5. apuginthekitchen December 31, 2012 at 3:04 pm #

Couldn’t be simpler or more delicious, another wonderful recipe Susan. Happy New Year to you and your family, continued creativity, health and happiness in 2013. (And lots of good food!!!)
    apuginthekitchen recently posted..Happy New YearMy Profile

6. Norma Chang January 1, 2013 at 6:17 am #

My kind of appetizer, simple, easy and tasty. Happy New Year!

7. TasteFood January 1, 2013 at 11:26 am #

This will certainly make you a rock star! I like how blue cheese is combined with the feta.
    TasteFood recently posted..Almond Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies with Sea SaltMy Profile

8. mjskit January 2, 2013 at 6:52 pm #

I definitely want a block of this! Feta can be used in so many ways, but I’ve never seen it served like this. This is a recipe that I could make as a meal because I would have a hard time sharing it with anyone as an appetizer. :) Love the honey and dates!
    mjskit recently posted..Skippin’ Jenny (aka Hoppin’ John, Black-eyed peas)My Profile

9. Mary @ Fit and Fed January 6, 2013 at 5:08 pm #

So much prettier and tastier-looking than a plain old block of cheese, and looks easy, thanks!
    Mary @ Fit and Fed recently posted..White Whole Wheat CiabattaMy Profile

10. Hannah January 8, 2013 at 11:05 am #

I love all you share! These photos are stunning and so enticing. And you had me at warm feta… Happy new year to you!
    Hannah recently posted..Pomegranate PavlovaMy Profile