All-purpose rub that balances sweet, smoky and spicy for vegetables and meat.
For those who might be new to my blog, I’m doing a series of Gifts From the Kitchen as we all ramp up for the holidays. These are gifts you can use for a gift exchange with family or friends, or bring to a dinner party for an easy and useful hostess gift.
Truthfully, all these gifts are great ANY time of year, not just just for the holidays – for example this spice rub is a great gift during the summer BBQ season! As we all know, a nicely balanced rub can elevate a very simple dish of ribs to something very special.
Feel free to create your own rub for the level of spiciness you prefer, but my husband and I both like spicy food, so this rub is one I use a lot year-round for both steak and veggies. In fact, it’s the same spice mix I used on my recipe for Broiled Spicy Steak with Garlic Chips on a Gorgonzola Crostini that I entered into a recipe development contest a couple years ago on FOOD52 that made runner-up status against a lot of other great-tasting contenders.
Chipotle Spice Rub
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon chipotle powder
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon oregano (Mexican oregano in particular is a great choice here)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sweet paprika (Pimenton de la Vera is by far my favorite)
- Combine all spices in the bowl of a mortar and pestle and lightly mash them together.
- Pour into a nice gift container.
- Tie a cord or ribbon around it, strung through a small card with the recipe for the spice mix.
Spicy Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- 4 sweet potatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons (or to taste) Chipotle Spice Mix
- 1 tablespoon shelled pumpkin seeds
- Preheat the oven to 350° F. Peel the potatoes and cut into medium-sized cubes. Toss in olive oil.
- Sprinkle the potatoes with the Chipotle Spice Mix, toss again, place on a baking sheet, and roast for 30 minutes, or until tender.
- Serve warm with a sprinkling of pumpkin seeds.