Pumpkin Applesauce Muffins with Pumpkin Seed Streusel
Pumpkin Applesauce Muffins with Pumpkin Seed Streusel Recipe Type : Muffin Author: Susan Pridmore
Prep Time25 mins
Cook Time25 mins
Total Time50 mins
Servings: 24 medium muffins
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons rolled oats
- 1 tablespoon salted pumpkin seeds
- 4 tablespoons unsalted cold butter cut into small cubes
- 3 1/3 cups 15 ounces all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground clove
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt or 1 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1 cup canned pumpkin puree not pie filling
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup apple or orange juice I used orange juice
- 1 1/2 cups golden raisins
To make the streusel, add the flour, sugar, and salt to the bowl of a mini food processor and whirl around a few times using the pulse function.
Add the oats, pumpkin seeds, and butter. Pulse until you have coarse crumbs about one-half the size of peas. Set aside.
Preheat the oven to 375˚F and fill the cavities of two regular sized muffin tins with cupcake liners.
Whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, and salt in a medium bowl and set aside.
Using a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat the butter and sugar until creamy, about 3 - 4 minutes.
Add the eggs, one at a time, allowing each egg to be completely absorbed before adding the next. Add the applesauce, pumpkin, and vanilla, and beat until blended.
Remove the bowl from the mixer, and fold in one-half of the dry ingredients using a spatula. Add the juice and mix. Add the second half of the dry ingredients and fold in until smooth. Be careful not to over mix - there might be some lumps, but try to minimize.
Fold in the raisins.
Fill each muffin cup about 2/3 full, and divide the streusel between the muffins. Bake on the center rack for 25 - 30 minutes, depending on the size of the cupcakes, until a toothpick comes out clean.
Serve warm or at room temperature.