Lentil Bolognese (Vegan)
Vegan bolognese made with lentils, tomato sauce, garam masala, and coconut milk. This post offers the recipe and numerous uses for the sauce.
Servings: 10 people
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, plus more for serving
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 1 large carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 tablespoon garlic paste
- 3 ounces tomato paste, or 1/2 of a standard 6-ounce can
- 2 15-ounce cans crushed tomatoes
- 1 28-ounce can whole, peeled tomatoes, drained and diced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala a spice mixture
- 2 cups dried red lentils, rinsed
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/3 cup coconut milk, full fat or light version, plus more for serving
Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat, and add the onion, celery and carrot. Sauté until tender, about 7 - 8 minutes. Add the garlic paste and cook for another minute.
Stir in the tomato paste and cook for another minute. Add the tomatoes, spices, lentils, water, and salt and pepper. Cover and simmer for 20 - 30 minutes, until the lentils are tender.
Stir in the coconut milk. Serve with a drizzle of additional coconut milk and extra-virgin olive oil.