Spicy Red Pepper Jam
Red peppers, tomatoes, garlic, and onions all come together in this spicy red pepper jam.
Servings: 24 tablespoons
- 2 red bell peppers finely chopped (about 2 ½ cups)
- 3 large tomatoes 2 cups when grated
- 5 cloves garlic minced (1 solidly packed tablespoon when minced)
- ½ yellow onion finely chopped (⅔ cup when chopped)
- 1 cup sherry vinegar
- ½ cup granulated white sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 t freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ⅛ -¼ teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
Put a very wide-mouthed pot on the stove. I used a Le Creuset large casserole pot that's about 12" in diameter. This is important, otherwise the mixture won't boil down very well.
Cut the tomatoes in half and grate them on a rough grater to remove the skins. You should get about 2 cups grated tomatoes when done. Throw them the pot with the rest of the ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce to an active simmer and cook until thick and syrupy (about 45 minutes).
The jam will thicken as it cools. Store in the refrigerator for up to one month.
This is a spicy jam designed to be spread on soft cheese and crackers, or use it to top off turkey burgers or sausage.
Recipe makes 1 ½ cups. Calories were calculated using the VeryWell Fit nutrition calculator for 24 servings (1 tablespoon each).