15-Minute Chile con Queso Dip
15-Minute Chile con Queso Dip Recipe Type : Appetizer Cuisine: Mexican Author: Susan Pridmore Prep time: 5 mins Cook time: 15 mins Total time: 20 mins Serves: 1 cup
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup minced jalapeño
- 1 tablespoon grated white onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic or use Gourmet Garden Stir-In Garlic Paste
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt or 1/8 teaspoon table salt
- 3 ounces half & half milk
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Pepper Jack Cheese
- 2 tablespoons your favorite chunky salsa
- 1/8 teaspoon arrowroot optional
- coarsely chopped cilantro
Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the jalapeño, and sauté for 2 minutes. Add the onion and garlic, and cook another 2 minutes.
Stir in the flour, paprika, and salt for 3 - 4 minutes to cook the flour.
Whisk in the half & half for 2 - 3 minutes until it thickens. Add the cheese, one handful at a time. Allow the cheese to partially melt before add the next handful. Continue to stir until melted.
Stir in the salsa. If you prefer a thicker sauce, stir in the arrowroot powder and cook for 2 additional minutes.
Serve warm with chips.