Berries are roasted to intensify their flavors, and topped with lime juice and coconut.
This is an incredibly easy dessert, and is a riff of one I had at a friend's home last month. It's vegan, gluten-free, lactose-free, and almost everything-free except flavor-free. You may have picked up by now that I love roasted just about anything, and that includes fruits. It really intensifies the flavors, and needs little adornment for the perfect ending to a meal.
Roasted Berries + Coconut and Lime
Servings: 2 servings
- 7 strawberries
- 6 blackberries
- ½ teaspoon coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon fresh grated coconut
- Finely grated white chocolate optional
- Preheat the oven to 400˚F.
- Slice the strawberries ¼" thick or slightly thinner. They should be flexible enough to layer around a small baking dish, slightly overlapping. I use a small oval baking dish that measures 5 ½" X 5" as shown in the photo. Layer the strawberries around the edge of the dish with the points of the berries pointing towards the middle.
- Arrange the blackberries in the center, all standing up, although I should note that you don't really need to arrange them like this. But they will soften as the roast and may not be as attractive all slumped over each other.
- Sprinkle the coconut sugar and half of the lime juice over the berries and roast for 20 minutes. They should be bubbling, and starting to almost caramelize in their juices.
- Sprinkle the grated coconut over the berries and slide them back into the oven. Bake for another 10 minutes or until the coconut begins to brown. Sprinkle on the remaining lime juice and serve warm.
- This is great served with shortbread cookies on the side, or with a scoop (or two) of vanilla ice cream. And if you want to dress it up just a bit, add the optional grated white chocolate .... just enough to create a light topping on the coconut.
I love how roasted berries coaxes out their flavor and sweetness. What a nice light summer dessert.
I'm with you on the roasted anything, it's wonderful. This is a perfect light dessert. I would be tempted to have a big scoop of vanilla ice cream with it which would make it a bit less virtuous. I love your fork, it is beautiful and your photo is stunning,
Yes. Sign me up for this decadent roasted berries! I might even have to come back for seconds it looks so good 🙂
I would love a big scoop of coconut ice cream with this.
Gotta get me some coconut sugar (and flour).
This is such a stunning dessert Susan, perfect for summer! I could take this with a big scoop of ice cream. Thanks for sharing my link too!
Yum! I love coconut 🙂 This looks so good, berries are in season here in France, I wanna try it out soon!