This week’s theme at #SundaySupper is Thanksgiving Leftovers, hosted by Jennie at The Messy Baker. As we approach this food-centric holiday, this week’s theme is the perfect guide for you through the long weekend that follows your annual feast.
I love leftovers. They give me an infinite array of possibilities I don’t normally have. It’s all fun, but my favorite leftover to work with is cranberry sauce. It can go into bars, turnovers, scones, farro dishes, or become a sauce for pork. Last year I used it for a glaze with maple syrup on roasted butternut squash.
This year I made a country cake called a buckle. Buckles are traditionally made with blueberries, but it seemed to me to be the perfect way to use up cranberry sauce. I added ground cloves and ginger to the batter so it’s a spiced buckle, perfect for fall.
This was baked at high altitude, at about 7000 feet, so if you’re making this at sea level, here are some tips:
- Add 1 1/2 tablespoons flour and 1 teaspoon baking powder to the dry ingredients.
- Subtract 1/4 cup of the yogurt.
- Bake at 350˚F instead of 375˚F.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes.
This comes out as a moist, slightly spiced cake with a middle and top layer of cranberry sauce, and can be made the day ahead, and just warmed slightly before serving.
Spiced Cranberry Buckle
- 8.2 ounces all-purpose flour assume 5 1/2 ounces = 1 cup of flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp ground cloves
- ½ tsp ginger
- 1 stick unsalted butter at room temperature
- ¾ cup sugar
- grated zest from 1 medium navel orange
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup yogurt
- ¾ cup leftover cranberry sauce
- 1 Tbsp turbanado sugar
- Preheat the oven to 375˚F.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, and spices in a medium bowl.
- Cream the butter, sugar, and orange zest using a standing mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, about 5 - 6 minutes. Add one egg at a time, fully incorporating the first egg before adding the second.
- Add the vanilla extract and beat for another minute.
- Fold one-third of the spiced flour into the batter and 1/3 of the yogurt. Once it's mostly incorporated, repeat with the next one-third, and then the final one-third. Mix only until all the flour and yogurt are mixed into the batter. It will be a pretty thick batter.
- Spread half of the batter in a loaf pan and spread 1/2 cup of the cranberry sauce on top. Spread the remaining batter on top of the cranberry sauce, and finish with the remaining 1/4 cup of cranberry sauce. Sprinkle the turbinado sugar over the top.
- Bake for 75 minutes, or until a knife inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Cool slightly before serving with some vanilla ice cream.
Now go check out some fabulous ideas for your leftovers!
Cranberry Sauce Muffins by The Foodie Army Wife
Leftover Stuffing Breakfast Strata by Ruffles & Truffles
Sweet Potato Casserole Muffins by Magnolia Days
Turkey & Chorizo Breakfast Hash by Brunch with Joy
Italian Mashed Potato Pancakes by The Weekend Gourmet
Cranberry Sauce’d Corn Bread Muffins by Rhubarb and Honey
Leftover Pie by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
Thanksgiving Leftover Waffles by Foxes Love Lemons
Stuffing Hash by The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
Turkey Pizza by Meal Diva
Turkey & Caramelized Onion Risotto by kimchi MOM
Turkey with Creamy Mushroom Marsala Sauce by Casa de Crews
Moroccan Turkey Stew by What Smells So Good?
Peruvian Cilantro & Turkey Soup by The Little Ferraro Kitchen
Turkey & Butternut Squash Stew by Cooking Chat
Turkey Kreplach Soup by Panning the Globe
Turkey & Stuffing Crepes by Peaceful Cooking
Cranberry Apple Pecan Chicken Salad by NeighborFood
Herbed Turkey over Cornbread Waffles with Cranberry Sauce by girlichef
Creamy Peanut Gochujang Pasta by Wallflour Girl
Cranberry Sweet Potato Soup by Take A Bite Out of Boca
Turkey Enchilada Pasta Bake by Curious Cuisiniere
Turkey Orzo Risotto by Family Foodie
Turkey Croquettes by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
Cheesy Mashed Potato Croquettes by Noshing with the Nolands
Whipped Carrots with Sriracha Butter by Healthy Delicious
Cranberry-Balsamic Glazed Cauliflower Wings by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
Parmesan Mashed Cauliflower and Potatoes by Momma’s Meals
Cheesy Jalapeño Potato Cakes by Bobbi’s Cozy Kitchen
Cranberry & Turkey Sandwich by The Redhead Baker
Monte Cristo Sandwich by Nik Snacks
Hot Brown Turkey Sandwiches by The Life and Loves of Grumpy’s Honeybunch
Sprouted Grain Turkey, Cranberry & Brie Panini by Amee’s Savory Dish
Turkey Cranberry Flatbread by Peanut Butter and Peppers
Condiments & Sauces:
Banana Cheesecake with Pecan Graham Cracker Crust by Desserts Required
Cranberry Cream Cheese Bars by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
Gluten-Free Lemon Cake by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
Spiced Cranberry Sauce Buckle by The Wimpy Vegetarian
Cocktails & Drinks:
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on Twitter on Sunday!We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7 p.m. ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtagand remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.