Spaghetti squash tossed with shrimp, pears, and kale.
Whenever I scan food photo porn sites and Pinterest (which is embarrassingly often), I’m bombarded with temptation. Pumpkin cakes with cream cheese frosting, salted caramel sheet cakes, pumpkin toffee cookies, pecan cheesecake pie, and Reese’s cake bars, all dressed up like a gang of girls ready to party, taunt me from my computer screen. “C’mon Wimpy, get those fancy plates out and let’s have some fun together. You can cheat on your kale tonight. Be good tomorrow!” And it’s only going to get worse over the next couple of months.
Then January sweeps in with a round of cleansing. ‘Clean food’ dishes starring kale, broth, coconut whatever, and whole grains are suddenly wildly popular. Anything with sugar is treated with horror and disdain. “OMG, I would NEVER eat that!”
We put our bodies through this whiplash every year – myself included.
What we need, I need, is a stash of new go-to recipes designed to lighten up my menus this time of year. I know you were expecting a vegetarian dish from me, but I had my husband, Carnivorous Maximus, in mind on this one. A great way to lighten a dish like this for him is to swap pork sausage out for sautéed shrimp. As for me, the spaghetti squash by itself, tossed in a salsa of pears, kale, jalapeño and raisins, is a perfect light and healthy dinner with a simple salad on the side.
I highly recommend Sunchowder’s Emporia Spiced Pear Butter in this recipe. It’s fantastic!
Spaghetti Squash with Shrimp, Pears and Kale
- 1 spaghetti squash
- 1 Tbsp + 2 tsp pear butter divided
- 2 Tbsp grated cheddar cheese
- 1 pear peeled, cored, and finely chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 cup chopped kale
- 2 tsp minced jalapeño pepper
- 2 Tbsp yellow raisins
- 1 Tbsp pepitas
- 1 pound jumbo shrimp
- extra-virgin olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 400˚F. Slice the spaghetti squash in half lengthwise and scoop out the seed and pulp with a spoon. Place the halves in a baking pan and baste with the pear butter. Roast until tender, about 30 - 40 minutes.
- Using the tines of a fork, shred the meat of the squash into buttery yellow 'noodles'. Toss in the cheese until melted.
- Combine the pear, kale, jalapeño, raisins, and pepitas together and toss into the spaghetti squash.
- Salt and pepper the shrimp. Heat enough oil in a large pan over medium-high heat to cover the base of the pan. When hot, add the shrimp to the pan, in shifts if necessary. Cook for 2 minutes per side and serve on the spaghetti squash.
Now go check out more ways to lighten up our eating from the #SundaySupper team as we move through the holidays. Huge thanks to Kathia at Basic N Delicious for hosting us this week!
- Lightened Up Eggnog by The Redhead Baker
- Low Calorie Pumpkin Pie Malted Milkshake by Kudos Kitchen by Renee
Appetizer or starter
- Gruyere Cheese Puffs by Sustainable Dad
- Lighten-up Sausage Rolls by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Spaghetti Squash, Pears and Kale with Shrimp by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Lightened Up Cornbread Stuffing by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Spicy Eggplant Dip by Cooking Chat
- Carciofi alla Trapanese by Manu’s Menu
- Fresh Salmon Carpaccio by Food Lust People Love
- Holiday Beef Tenderloin with Sweet Potatoes, Tomatoes and Corn by Family Foodie
- Mini Mushroom Shepherd’s Pies by Killer Bunnies, Inc
- Grandma’s Mac n’ Cheese by What Smells So Good?
- Lean Mean Cheeseburger Soup by The Foodie Army Wife
- Roasted Butternut Squash & Chicken Sausage Soup by Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
- Lightened-Up Fettuccine Alfredo by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts by Brunch with Joy
- Butternut Squash Orzo Pasta by Life Tastes Good
- Hearts of Palm, Artichoke, Avocado and Butter Lettuce by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Quick and Easy Sweet Potato by The Educators’ Spin On It
- Lentil & Mushroom Stuffing by Foxes Love Lemons
- Almond-Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Broccoli by The Texan New Yorker
- Tangy, Spiced Red Cabbage by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Honey Ginger Glazed Carrots by Ruffles & Truffles
- Shrimp Salad with White Wine Vinaigrette by eating in instead
- Cranberry Orange Glazed Green Beans by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Roasted Garlic Cauliflower Mash by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Green Beans with Rosemary Garlic Butter by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Mediterranean Lentil Stuffed Delicata Squash by The Little Ferraro Kitchen
- Leaner Green Beans by Noshing With The Nolands
- Spiced Tri-Colored Carrot Salad by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Horiatki Salata by Peaceful Cooking
- Healthier Potluck Broccoli-Cauliflower Salad by The Weekend Gourmet
- Farro Stuffing with Cranberries and Walnuts by The Dinner-Mom
- Roasted Parsnip and Apple Soup by Curious Cuisiniere
- Pumpkin Cheesecake Dip by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Sweet Apple Bites by Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Individual Cheesecakes by Nosh My Way
- Light and Luscious Chocolate Cheesecake by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Pumpkin Pie Pudding by The Life and Loves of Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Healthy Brownie Recipe | Applesauce Brownies by The Perfect Brownie
- Peanut Butter Coconut Mini Bars by Basic N Delicious
- The Blondie Recipe by Wallflour Girl
- Cinnamon Roll Granola Bars by Pies and Plots
- Skinny Ninja Cheesecake by NinjaBaker.com
- Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Pumpkin Blondie by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat.
To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.