#Secret Recipe Club: Vegan summer wrap of quinoa, black beans, hummus, corn, and tomatoes. Perfect for picnics or lunch on the go.
It’s time again for our Secret Recipe Club ’reveal day’. For the uninitiated, the Secret Recipe Club is a group of around 100 food bloggers, who are separated into four smaller blogging groups. Every month, we’re each assigned a blog in our group to look through. We try a few recipes and chose one to post about. But all month long, we keep our assignment a secret until ‘reveal day’. It’s been a lot of fun – and I’ve found some great new blogs to follow and new recipes to add to my rotation.
I’m always on the hunt for quick vegetarian lunches. I spend a good part of most days developing, cooking, photographing, writing about food, and frankly the last thing I’m interested in is making a big production about making lunch. Instead, I want to quickly throw something together, take it outside to the deck, and relax for a few minutes while I catch up on the local paper, before heading back to work.
As soon as I saw Sarah’s recipe, I knew it would be the perfect solution.
Sarah, who writes the Fantastical Sharing blog, has been the super-organized, fearless leader for our little group in the Secret Recipe Club since I started, and now she runs the whole show. If you ever want anything organized, Sarah should be on your speed dial. She serves up family friendly food on her blog that you and your kids will love. Like this Taco Twist Bake , Crockpot Chicken Fajitas, and Laughing Cow Spaghetti Pie. And for dessert – I’ve got her Peanut Butter Cup Blondies on my list to make now, as soon as I hit my target weight. It seems like the perfect way to celebrate.
I switched up her fabulous Quinoa and Black Bean Wraps to make them vegan (I swapped the mayo for hummus and nixed the cheese), and took advantage of the fresh tomatoes showing up at the Farmer’s Market. But one thing I didn’t change a bit was her fabulous spicy quinoa. It’s not over-the-top spicy, but sports a bolder personality than I’ve made before, and was fabulous finished off with a squirt of lime juice. This is officially my new quinoa recipe for anything.
And truthfully, I’ve made this dish twice now, and have had it for lunch AND dinner.
Vegan Quinoa and Black Bean Wraps with Hummus: #Secret Recipe Club
This recipe is from Sarah at the Fantastical Sharing blog, which was adapted from the Je Suis Alimentageuse blog.
- 2/3 c quinoa
- 1 c vegetable broth
- 1/2 t paprika
- 1/2 t chipotle chili powder
- 1 t garlic powder
- 1 t onion powder
- 1 c corn (from 1 ear of corn)
- 1 c freshly cooked black beans
- 1 c cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 2 T lime juice (1 lime)
- 1/2 t kosher salt, or to taste
- 1 T hummus per tortilla
- Baby spinach leaves
- Flour tortillas
- I always rinse my quinoa vigorously before cooking it up. To do this, place the quinoa in a bowl with enough water to cover it by about one inch. Rub the quinoa between your palms vigorously in the water. The water should become cloudy from the saponin, a bitter protective coating on the seeds, being rubbed off. Repeat three times and then rinse under running water. I use a fine mesh strainer for this.
- Mix together the rinsed quinoa, broth, paprika, chili powder, garlic powder, and onion powder in a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a simmer, cover, reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes. You'll know it's done when the seed looks like curly-q's.
- Pile the quinoa into a large bowl and stir in the corn, beans, tomatoes and lime juice. Stir in the salt to taste.
- Spread the hummus on each tortilla, lightly cover with spinach leaves, and spoon about ⅓ cup of the quinoa mix in a heaped row, slightly off center. Fold one side of the tortilla over the quinoa and roll up fairly tightly. Use a toothpick to hold it closed.
Now go check out everyone else’s!