Decadently rich brownies from Alice Medrich with a little warming spice.
But, I’ve got this fantastic little recipe, actually one of Alice Medrich’s of chocolate fame, that you can just tuck away until, say, Valentine’s Day. I didn’t change it much, but if you’ve got the recipe in one of your cookbooks, I have made some changes to the instructions to make this recipe an even bigger success.
Or if you decide to make it on the spur of the moment today, it will make a sweet ending to the year.
I wish all of you a happy, healthy, and prosperous New Year in 2014. See you next year.
Chocolatey Chocolate Brownies
- 10 Tbsp (1 1/4 sticks) unsalted butter
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cups plus 2 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder (natural or Dutch-process)
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cardamom
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour (2.5 ounces)
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Line the bottom and sides of an 8-inch square baking pan with foil, leaving an overhang on two opposite sides.
- Slice the butter into tablespoon pieces, and combine with the sugar, cocoa, salt, and cardamom in a medium heatproof bowl and set the bowl in a wide skillet of barely simmering water. Stir from time to time until the butter is melted and the mixture is smooth and hot enough that you want to remove your finger fairly quickly after dipping it in to test. The mixture will still be granular as the sugar will not be dissolved.
- Remove the bowl from the skillet and set aside briefly until the mixture is only warm, not hot. Stir in the vanilla with a wooden spoon. Add the eggs one at a time, stirring vigorously after each one. The batter will look thick, shiny, and well blended.
- Add the flour and stir with a spatula until you cannot see it any longer, then beat with a wooden spoon vigorously for 40 strokes . Spread evenly in the lined pan. Bake until a toothpick plunged into the center emerges slightly moist with batter, 40 to 50 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes on a rack. Lift up the ends of the parchment or foil liner, and using a knife, gently pull the foil from the sides of the brownies. Allow to completely cool on a rack.
- Transfer the brownies to a cutting board. Cut into 16 or 25 squares.