Berries are roasted to intensify their flavors, and topped with lime juice and coconut.
This is an incredibly easy dessert, and is a riff of one I had at a friend’s home last month. It’s vegan, gluten-free, lactose-free, and almost everything-free except flavor-free. You may have picked up by now that I love roasted just about anything, and that includes fruits. It really intensifies the flavors, and needs little adornment for the perfect ending to a meal.
Roasted Berries + Coconut and Lime
- 7 strawberries
- 6 blackberries
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon fresh grated coconut
- Finely grated white chocolate optional
- Preheat the oven to 400˚F.
- Slice the strawberries 1/4" thick or slightly thinner. They should be flexible enough to layer around a small baking dish, slightly overlapping. I use a small oval baking dish that measures 5 1/2" X 5" as shown in the photo. Layer the strawberries around the edge of the dish with the points of the berries pointing towards the middle.
- Arrange the blackberries in the center, all standing up, although I should note that you don't really need to arrange them like this. But they will soften as the roast and may not be as attractive all slumped over each other.
- Sprinkle the coconut sugar and half of the lime juice over the berries and roast for 20 minutes. They should be bubbling, and starting to almost caramelize in their juices.
- Sprinkle the grated coconut over the berries and slide them back into the oven. Bake for another 10 minutes or until the coconut begins to brown. Sprinkle on the remaining lime juice and serve warm.
- This is great served with shortbread cookies on the side, or with a scoop (or two) of vanilla ice cream. And if you want to dress it up just a bit, add the optional grated white chocolate .... just enough to create a light topping on the coconut.
As part of this Friday Dessert Series, as we kick into the weekend, I thought I’d share some other desserts I’ve seen this week that made me want to get out my dessert dishes:
Apple Blueberry Pie Cake seen on Serious Eats
Skillet Chocolate Chip Cookie with Caramel Sauce from Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
Super creamy 8-Hour Cheesecake with Roasted Grapes from Vintage Kitchen Notes
Brown Butter Strawberry Streusel Bars from une gamine dans la cuisine
Rhubarb Buckle with Ginger Crumb seen on Food 52