Simple kale sautéed with miso paste, all dressed up with dates and puffed millet.
One of the things I enjoy about writing for Ask Miss A magazine is learning more about food companies that give back. Let’s face it, many food companies operate on pretty thin margins, so when they give back, it tells me a lot about their culture. My latest article, published today on Ask Miss A, is on Nature’s Path, based in Canada. I’ve always associated them with healthy breakfasts, but little else.
Through my research, I learned that they are not only committed to being sourced with organic and GMO-free (Genetically Modified Organism) products, but they also have a number of programs that give back to the environment, to food banks, and to helping urban communities create organic farms. If you’re interested in knowing more, go here to read the article.
The following is a recipe I developed with their puffed millet product that’s a great side dish with any dinner. It’s quick and easy for any weeknight dinner thrown together on the run since it’s essentially a simple kale sauté, but unique enough for your next dinner party thanks the dates, miso and puffed millet.
Kale Sautéed with Miso, Dates and Millet
- 1 bunch of kale
- 2 dates
- 2 tsp miso paste
- 3 Tbsp rice bran oil divided
- 2 Tbsp puffed millet or puffed rice
- Remove the stems and central veins from the kale leaves. Stack them and slice them into one inch strips. Set aside. Cut the dates in half, remove the pits, and mince the dates into small pieces. The dates are sticky, so separate the pieces as you go. Set aside.
- Mix the miso paste with 2 tablespoons rice bran oil, and whisk together to form the consistency of a dressing.
- Place the puffed millet under the broiler for a few minutes to brown...watch it carefully so that it doesn't burn.
- Heat 1 tablespoon rice bran oil in a medium sauté pan until quite hot. It should sizzle if you spray water on it. Add the kale all at once and stir quickly to coat the kale in the oil. Sauté for 5 minutes, stirring every 30 to 45 seconds. Add the dressing and continue to sauté until the kale softens. Remove from the heat and toss with the dates and puffed millet.
- Serve warm.