Posted by The Wimpy Vegetarianhttp://thewimpyvegetarian.com/2017/10/healthy-caramelized-banana-bread/
© 2017 The Wimpy Vegetarian. All rights reserved.
Healthy Caramelized Banana Bread
cup melted extra-virgin coconut oil
cup pure maple syrup (stir in an additional 1 tablespoon for high altitude baking at 6500 ft)
very ripe bananas, cut into 1" slices
cup apple sauce (use 1/2 cup apple sauce for high altitude baking at 6500 ft)
teaspoon vanilla extract
cup (8.5 ounces or 240 grams) whole wheat einkorn flour (minus 1 tablespoon for high altitude baking at 6500 ft)
teaspoon baking soda (use 3/4 teaspoon for baking at high altitude)
teaspoon kosher salt or 1/2 teaspoon table salt
teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Butter a loaf pan. Preheat the oven to 350˚ F.
- Pour the melted coconut oil and maple syrup in a skillet over medium heat. Add the bananas and simmer for 10 minutes, until the bananas soften and slightly caramelize. Pour into the bowl of a food processor fitted with a metal blade, and add the apple sauce and vanilla extract. Whirl like crazy until the bananas are completely pureed.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the einkorn flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.
- Whirl the contents of the food processor, and add the eggs through the shoot. (There's a delay in adding the eggs to allow the banana puree cool down first. Otherwise, you risk scrambling the eggs). Whirl until frothy.
- Fold the banana puree unto the flour mixture, using a spatula. Only fold until the flour mixture is completely incorporated into the puree. Pour the batter into the loaf pan, and bake for 40 - 45 minutes, or until a toothpick or wooden skewer comes away clean when slid into the center of the bread. Cool for at least 10 minutes before removing from the loaf pan. If baking this at sea level, 40 minutes baking time should suffice. In the mountains, you'll need closer to 45 minutes, depending on your altitude.
- Store at room temperature, covered with plastic wrap, for up to 3 days. Also, freezes well for up to 6 months.