Vegan Sloppy Joes using lentils, sweet bell peppers and onions, and McCormick Sweet and Smoky Sloppy Joes Skillet Sauce!
As a child, my favorite lunch in the school cafeteria was Sloppy Joes. As I inched down the long lunch line, I watched jolly hair-netted lunch ladies ladle a piping hot chunky tomato sauce filled with ground beef and onions over steaming hot buns, and was filled with eager anticipation. No matter what else was happening that day – losing my homework, leaving overdue library books at home, or getting bad marks on a pop quiz – this lunch was something that made me feel good about life. It reminded me that in the midst of my 8-year-old angst, there was hope and comfort.
I haven’t had a Sloppy Joe in years now, decades in fact. But as soon as I saw McCormick’s Sweet and Smoky Sloppy Joes, I knew I had to try it – vegetarian style. The skillet sauce was spot on perfect, with its balance of spices and smoky flavor, full of the natural flavors I’ve come to count on from McCormick. And for bonus points, since I had some cooked lentils on hand in the refrigerator, this dinner came together in about 30 minutes, making it a perfect meal at the end of a busy weekday.
- 1 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cup thinly sliced red and orange sweet bell peppers
- 1 cup thinly sliced red onions
- 1 tsp chopped garlic
- 1 tsp mustard
- 1½ cups cooked lentils
- 1 package McCormick Sweet and Spicy Sloppy Joes Skillet Sauce
- 4 hamburger buns
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the peppers and onions and cook until softened, about 15 minutes. Add the garlic and mustard, and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- Add the lentils and Skillet Sauce, and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 5 minutes or until the lentils are hot.
- Toast the buns and ladle the skillet sauce over them.
If you need more ideas for easy and healthy dinners with McCormick’s Skillet Sauces, be sure to follow the McCormick’s Easy Skillet Dinners Pinterest Board. There’s loads of great ideas there.
This post is sponsored by McCormick in conjunction with a social media campaign through Sunday Supper LLC. All opinions are my own.
More McCormick Skillet Sauce recipes on Weekday Supper this week!
Monday – Spicy Cashew Chicken Stir-Fry over Broccoli Noodles by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
Tuesday – Sweet & Smoky Lentil Sloppy Joes over Millet Cakes by The Wimpy Vegetarian
Wednesday – BBQ Chicken & Bacon Pizza by I’m Not the Nanny
Thursday – Skillet Taco Pie by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
Friday – Chicken Meatballs and Pasta Rosé by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings