Simple kale sauté in a blend of rice bran oil and miso paste, all dressed up with dates and puffed millet.

Miso-Kale salad with dates and puffed millet, Nature's Path, Ask Miss A

One of the things I enjoy about writing for Ask Miss A magazine is learning more about food companies that give back. Let’s face it, many food companies operate on pretty thin margins, so when they give back, it tells me a lot about their culture. My latest article, published today on Ask Miss A, is on Nature’s Path, based in Canada. I’ve always associated them with healthy breakfasts, but little else.

Through my research, I learned that they are not only committed to being sourced with organic and GMO-free (Genetically Modified Organism) products, but they also have a number of programs that give back to the environment, to food banks, and to helping urban communities create organic farms.  If you’re interested in knowing more, go here to read the article.

The following is a recipe I developed with their puffed millet product that’s a great side dish with any dinner. It’s quick and easy for any weeknight dinner thrown together on the run since it’s essentially a simple kale sauté, but unique enough for your next dinner party thanks the dates, miso and puffed millet.

Kale-Miso Sauté with Dates and Millet

Serves 4

Prep Time: 10 minutes

Cook Time: 10 minutes

• 1 bunch of kale
  • 2 dates
  • 2 teaspoons miso paste
  • 3 tablespoon rice bran oil, divided
  • 2 tablespoons puffed millet (or puffed rice)

Remove the stem and central vein from the kale leaves. Stack them and slice them into one inch strips. Set aside.

Cut the dates in half, remove the pits, and mince the dates into small pieces. The dates are sticky, so separate the pieces as you go. Set aside.

Mix the miso paste with 2 tablespoons rice bran oil, and whisk together to form the consistency of a dressing.

Place the puffed millet under the broiler for a few minutes to brown…watch it carefully so that it doesn’t burn.

Heat 1 tablespoon rice bran oil in a medium sauté pan until quite hot. It should sizzle if you spray water on it. Add the kale all at once and stir quickly to coat the kale in the oil. Allow it to sauté for 5 minutes, stirring every 30 to 45 seconds. Add the dressing and continue to sauté until the kale softens. Remove from the heat and toss with the dates and puffed millet.

Serve warm.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger... Pin It

Tags: , , , , , ,

22 Responses to “Kale-Miso Sauté + Dates and Millet” Subscribe

1. gluttonforlife April 8, 2013 at 7:16 am #

Love this unusual combination – it sounds divine! Quick question: do you know if/how the process of “puffing” grains affects their nutritional value?
    gluttonforlife recently posted..The Hunger GamesMy Profile

• The Wimpy Vegetarian April 8, 2013 at 9:49 am #

Thanks Laura! And excellent question! I sent a note to Nature’s Path querying them about this. I’ll respond back as soon as I know!
      The Wimpy Vegetarian recently posted..Kale-Miso Sauté with Dates and MilletMy Profile

• The Wimpy Vegetarian April 13, 2013 at 5:19 pm #

I heard back from the folks at Nature’s Path. According to them, there is no deterioration of the nutrients in the millet from puffing them. Here’s the response I got – I hope it helps!

“The puffed cereals are made similarly to how you would pop popcorn on the stovetop where heat is used to explode and cook the kernel. Our Puffed cereals are the purest form of cereal, as they contain only one ingredient; whole organic grains. The raw grain is received, inspected, and cleaned at our facility. We utilize a process called gun-puffing, which uses steam pressure and high heat to puff and dry the cereal. This procedure cooks the grain by exploding the kernels under high pressure and steam. Cooked cereal moves from the drying ovens by conveyor belt and then enters a cooling tower, where a heat exchanger cools the cereal and removes almost all moisture before loading it into a hopper for packaging.”
        The Wimpy Vegetarian recently posted..Kale PestoMy Profile

• gluttonforlife April 14, 2013 at 6:34 am #

Thanks for letting me know, Susan! It’s my understanding that high heat treatments can significantly denature nutrients in grains and even sometimes turn their oils toxic, but I’m not really sure if this is true for all processes and all grains.
          gluttonforlife recently posted..In MemoriamMy Profile

• The Wimpy Vegetarian April 15, 2013 at 12:33 pm #

That’s really good to know, Laura! I hadn’t read that – now I’m a little more cautious with this. I made this dish for a little dinner party last night, but omitted the millet puffs.
            The Wimpy Vegetarian recently posted..Kale PestoMy Profile

• gluttonforlife April 15, 2013 at 12:34 pm #

Oh, I feel awful about that. I will try to do a little more research on the topic, because I love the crunch that the millet gives to this recipe!
            gluttonforlife recently posted..Sweet, Salty, SpicyMy Profile

• The Wimpy Vegetarian April 15, 2013 at 12:42 pm #

Me too, so I’m trying to do some more research into it too. I’m glad you alerted me to it!
              The Wimpy Vegetarian recently posted..Kale PestoMy Profile

2. apuginthekitchen April 8, 2013 at 12:32 pm #

What an unusual combination, kale is so versatile it pairs beautifully with sweet fruits or vegetables. I would have this for breakfast!!
    apuginthekitchen recently posted..Brown Rice Breakfast Risotto With Walnut ToppingMy Profile

• The Wimpy Vegetarian April 13, 2013 at 5:20 pm #

I didn’t used to be a kale lover, but I just realized today that I’ve posted three kale recipes in a row. Oops. At least the recipes are completely different from each other :-)
      The Wimpy Vegetarian recently posted..Kale PestoMy Profile

3. Cut 'N Clean Greens April 8, 2013 at 3:32 pm #

Susan,
    This looks GREAT! We’re going to share on our Facebook page with a link to you, so people can see how simple a good plate of kale can be!

–Your friendly Southern California farmers at Cut ‘N Clean Greens

• The Wimpy Vegetarian April 13, 2013 at 5:23 pm #

Thank you sooo much! I really appreciate it. This is a wonderful little sauté that is now a staple for me. I warmed up some that was left over a few days ago, and it was amazing with the dates all soft and warm in the kale, dressed in miso. Hope you’re having a great weekend!
      The Wimpy Vegetarian recently posted..Kale PestoMy Profile

4. TasteFood April 8, 2013 at 6:43 pm #

With 5 ingredients you’ve succeeded in packing a punch of flavor, textures and gads of nutrients. I love kale and miso, so I’m hooked.
    TasteFood recently posted..Simple Sides: Balsamic Roasted CarrotsMy Profile

5. Laura Wallan April 9, 2013 at 12:53 am #

Hi Susan,
    You are a gem! You come up with the best recipes for every diet.
    This one with kale is one of my favorites and I don’t even
    like kale.

I love recipes that incorporate grains with green vegetables, garlic, olive oil, carrots, celery, and onions.

• The Wimpy Vegetarian April 13, 2013 at 5:24 pm #

Thanks so much Laura! It’s so nice to hear from you :-) I didn’t used to be a fan of kale, but now I just love it. You might just like this one :-)
      The Wimpy Vegetarian recently posted..Kale PestoMy Profile

6. Jen April 9, 2013 at 2:27 am #

What a great combination of ingredients, love kale and miso but would never have thought to put the two together. Lovely to come across something that sounds tasty and is super healthy!

7. Hannah April 9, 2013 at 3:51 pm #

Oh wow, dates and miso together? You are brilliant! I’ve been loving millet lately, too. I can’t wait to give this a whirl! Thanks for sharing such a marvelous kale dish.
    Hannah recently posted..Grandma’s SpaghettiMy Profile

8. Cass @foodmyfriend April 10, 2013 at 11:09 pm #

Drool! Cop that green veggie haters!

9. EA April 11, 2013 at 7:44 am #

Fun recipe! Natures Path Sunrise Mesa cereal, was the first gluten-free cereal I ever tried, and still one of my favorites. Looking forward to making this!

10. Julia April 12, 2013 at 7:47 am #

I love how healthful and cheery this dish is! Everyone needs to eat a full plate of this kale miso saute every day for all of the vitamins and health benefits – and deliciousness! I adore this recipe!

11. Small Footprints April 29, 2013 at 3:26 pm #

This looks wonderful … I love Kale and I think the miso would give it great flavor. Thank you for sharing this recipe. BTW, I’ve just subscribed to your blog … found you via Pescetarian Journal. :-)
    Small Footprints recently posted..Meet & Greet Monday (#MtaGt)My Profile

• The Wimpy Vegetarian April 30, 2013 at 8:08 pm #

Hey thanks, Small Footprints!! This is a really unusual, flavor packed way to have kale. And I confess I’m officially addicted :-). I’m so glad you found me and my blog. Welcome !!
      The Wimpy Vegetarian recently posted..Pickled Onions in Cardamom-Orange TeaMy Profile