cabbage cups filled with sweet potato puree, rice, leeks, and pepitas recipe

First the exciting news.

Are you sitting down?

A few days ago I entered a twitter-based contest to be signed by a literary agent to write a cookbook. The Lisa Ekus Group is running a contest called “So You Want To Write A Cookbook?” to find new literary talent, American Idol style. Everyone had three days to pitch their ideas over twitter (the new elevator speech), and 16 finalists were named yesterday, (drum roll), including ME. I pitched the idea of writing a cookbook for people cooking dinner for both vegetarians and meat eaters. I call it the new mixed marriage.

Yes, most any cookbook today has a sprinkling of vegetarian dishes along with entrées focused on meat or fish. But I’ve yet to find one that integrates the two into a meal. I don’t relish cooking two completely different dishes for my husband, the meat eater, and myself, and can’t believe I’m the only one facing this dilemma when I open my refrigerator every night to begin fixing dinner(s). To a large extent, this mixed marriage has pushed me to completely re-create my pantry so that I’m not standing in front of the refrigerator 30 minutes before we want to eat, trying to figure out what the hell I’m going to make. I have a lot of ideas for how it would be laid out, but first I need to snag some tangible interest. I saw the contest being promoted on Facebook just as my ideas were starting to coalesce, and tweeted my hat into the ring. I’m beyond thrilled and excited to even get to this round. It validates that the idea is potentially marketable.

Round two is today, and the finalist field will be sliced in half to eight. Lots of people are starting to tune in, so feel free to join in at #signmesal on twitter. There are a lot of really good ideas being pitched, so wish me luck!

And now for my second piece of exciting news. I’ve been invited to be a writer for the food section of Ask Miss A web-based magazine. The magazine is run by Andrea Rodgers and is primarily focused on points of intersection of charity and style. I’ll be contributing articles every week with recipes, and covering food events in the Bay Area and Tahoe that have a charity element to them. This week’s recipe was Cabbage Cups for St. Patrick’s Day, my riff on a more traditional cabbage roll. I wanted something that would be great to grab as I run out the door, or as an appetizer for a party. The cups are first layered with a sweet potato purée that’s topped with a little pilaf of rice, crispy leeks, raisins, and pepitas. So good and so healthy. You can find my article and recipe here. Please stop to say hi at my new home away from home.

Tags: , , , ,

53 Responses to “Cabbage Cups for St. Patrick’s Day and Lots of Exciting News” Subscribe

1. gluttonforlife March 15, 2013 at 12:11 pm #

Congrats, Susan! It’s a great idea for a book and I hope you go all the way!! xo
    gluttonforlife recently posted..Drawing RoomMy Profile

2. TasteFood March 15, 2013 at 12:13 pm #

Congratulations Susan! What a great book idea! Good luck!
    TasteFood recently posted..Lemon Mint RisottoMy Profile

• The Wimpy Vegetarian March 21, 2013 at 10:35 pm #

Thanks Lynda! For some reason your comment got caught in my spam folder and I just saw it when I was going through them. I survived the cut to 8 finalists, but didn’t survive the cut to 4 finalists a couple of days ago. BUT, the agency contacted me immediately and they’re very, very interested in the concept. So we’re emailing quite a bit. The weighty proposal looks like the next step – which I know you’re familiar with. Would love to get together when we’re back in town in April. Mostly we’re here in Tahoe these days while the house is for sale.
      The Wimpy Vegetarian recently posted..Vegetable / Chicken and Rice Peasant Soup My Profile

3. lizthechef March 15, 2013 at 12:31 pm #

Wow – go, girl! I totally missed this…Best of luck in both arenas, Susan.
    lizthechef recently posted..Traditional White Irish Soda BreadMy Profile

4. Jane Bonacci, The Heritage Cook March 15, 2013 at 12:34 pm #

I am so thrilled for you Susan and it couldn’t happen to a nicer person! I know you will be a huge hit on all fronts!

• The Wimpy Vegetarian March 21, 2013 at 10:39 pm #

Thank you so much Jane. For some reason I just found your comment in my spam folder. Very sorry for the delay in responding. One of my regrets in leaving the Board is not having the opportunity to get to know you better. I think we would have made a great team. Thanks so much for your support. I survived the cut to 8, but not the cut to 4 a couple of days ago. But the agency contacted me within minutes to indicate they love the concept and want a proposal. Yikes – a big project. We’ve been emailing now the last couple of days about it all. So it’s still all very exciting – just not in the way I had originally hoped :-).

5. lapadia March 15, 2013 at 12:39 pm #

Awesome news, Susan!! I’m so excited for you, something you are so deserving of! :)

6. Paula @ Vintage Kitchen March 15, 2013 at 12:42 pm #

Wow Susan, congratulations! It´s a great thing, even if it stops here. You can build on it.

7. erika March 15, 2013 at 1:05 pm #

WOW congratulations!!! That is so exciting, and what a fantastic book idea! If things continue along with my boyfriend and me, that is a cookbook I will be needing in the future! And judging from your blog posts, I’m sure the recipes will be top-notch. Looking forward to reading your post in the online mag!
    erika recently posted..How to bake level cake layers (DIY cake strips!)My Profile

8. Norma Chang March 15, 2013 at 1:11 pm #

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! I am rooting for you to win. Love your title “New Mixed Marriage”. That title alone would get attention and book sales.
    Norma Chang recently posted “More Chayote Recipes”: http://gardentowok.wordpress.com/2013/03/15/more-chayote-recipes/

9. Dorothy at ShockinglyDelicious March 15, 2013 at 1:38 pm #

Hearty (vegetarian) congratulations, on both!
    Dorothy at ShockinglyDelicious recently posted..New Organic Food Box Delivery in So CalMy Profile

10. Choc Chip Uru March 15, 2013 at 1:44 pm #

OMG my friend I am so so excited for you!!! Keep going all the way, congratulations :)

Choc Chip Uru recently posted..Guest Post #1: Pasta PuttanescaMy Profile

11. Shelby | Diabetic Foodie March 15, 2013 at 2:24 pm #

Congrats! Great idea for a cookbook.
    Shelby | Diabetic Foodie recently posted..Crustless Crab and Asparagus Quiche for Pi DayMy Profile

12. Becca @ Amuse Your Bouche March 15, 2013 at 2:54 pm #

Congratulations!! This is definitely a cookbook I’d read, since I’m veggie and my boyfriend is a meat-eater :)

13. Abby March 15, 2013 at 2:54 pm #

Congratulations! I’m in one of those mixed relationships and I would definitely buy your book.

14. Robin March 15, 2013 at 4:22 pm #

Congrats on all fronts! You are on a roll :)

15. apuginthekitchen March 15, 2013 at 4:49 pm #

I am thrilled for you Susan, congratulations. How wonderful, I love your cookbook idea, and can’t wait to find out if you make it to round 2. Going to follow them on twitter and keep abreast of the contest. What a great idea it is, and the other writing gig sounds like a lot of fun. You really are not just an amazing cook but your writing is always compelling, your recipes easy to follow and well written and your stories always tie in beautifully too. Good for you!
    apuginthekitchen recently posted..Blood Orange Simple SyrupMy Profile

• The Wimpy Vegetarian March 15, 2013 at 7:24 pm #

Oh Suzanne, thank you so much. We’ve followed each other since we met on Food52, and I have to say it was thanks to them and their encouragement that I even started a blog, began writing, and now thinking about a cookbook. We’ll see how it all turns out. Thanks for all the support you’ve given me over the years! And the recipes from your blog and Food52 too!
      The Wimpy Vegetarian recently posted..Cabbage Cups for St. Patrick’s Day and Lots of Exciting NewsMy Profile

16. Natalie March 15, 2013 at 7:02 pm #

Such a great recipe!! Love new ways of using cabbage!

17. Carla March 15, 2013 at 7:06 pm #

I’m so excited for you, Susan!! I thought about pitching as well, but my concept is still, well, a concept and I havent quite figured out the pitch yet. I have a feeling you’re going to go far because my friend who emailed me for help this week is in the same dilemma. I’ll have to pass along your blog for ideas ;)

18. Annette Nielsen March 16, 2013 at 5:35 am #

Really excellent! Congratulations — so thrilled for you, Susan!

19. Amy Kim (@kimchi_mom) March 16, 2013 at 8:52 am #

These cabbage cups look great! And congrats on making it through to the second round of #signmesal and the new writing gig! So exciting!

20. Julie March 16, 2013 at 1:44 pm #

Congratulations!! So excited for you!

21. Kare @ Kitchen Treaty March 16, 2013 at 5:08 pm #

Huge, huge congrats on both counts. Your cookbook concept is one I absolutely believe has merit – it’s similar to the premise behind my blog, so I certainly hope so! :) Fingers crossed you have the opportunity to make it happen – I’m rooting for you!

22. azita March 16, 2013 at 5:13 pm #

Your cookbook idea is creative and smart and addresses a definite gap in the cookbook genre. The writing gig is super cool too! You go! Very excited for you and good luck with round 2 and: congratulations!
    azita recently posted..Copy Right Copy WrongMy Profile

23. mjskit March 17, 2013 at 2:57 pm #

Congratulations!!!! What a fabulous opportunity! I can’t wait to hear if you are one of the final finalists! Good luck to you and I hope you get to write that cookbook with or without this contest.

24. Family Foodie March 17, 2013 at 5:33 pm #

I am so excited for you! I love the idea you proposed… I know I love fish and Ron loves meat and we almost always cook both during every meal.. I can totally relate and love it!
    Family Foodie recently posted..White Asparagus and Salmon Spring Salad #SundaySupperMy Profile

25. Terra March 19, 2013 at 9:16 pm #

Awwwww, yay!!! Congrats on your writing opportunity!!! I will say loads of positive thoughts for you, the cookbook opportunity would be amazing too!!! Sending hugs, Terra
    Terra recently posted..Guinness Stout Cake with Guinness Buttercream FrostingMy Profile

26. Hannah March 20, 2013 at 7:31 pm #

Wow, Susan, congratulations to you!!! This is indeed exciting news. I love your concept of the new mixed marriage and agree there are many who would appreciate your ideas and lovely recipes. I’m very happy for you! :)
    Hannah recently posted..Advieh, Kuku and BarberriesMy Profile

• The Wimpy Vegetarian March 21, 2013 at 10:42 pm #

Thanks so much Hannah! I ended up being eliminated in the 3 round, but the agency contacted me to let me know they love the concept and want a proposal. We’ve been emailing the last couple of days about it all. Thanks for your support – it’s very exciting whether or not it comes to fruition :-)

27. Annette Nielsen March 24, 2013 at 5:24 am #

I think your idea is a home-run — and I know I could use all those great ideas in my home. So excited for you!! Stellar!
    Sending all good thoughts. xA

28. Mary @ Fit and Fed March 29, 2013 at 7:38 pm #

Good luck with the cookbook proposal, I too love the concept and the title! And congrats on the online magazine gig, too, I’m happy for you!
    Mary @ Fit and Fed recently posted..My skate at Pacific Coast Adult SectionalsMy Profile