Sweet-tart, minty syrup with accents of ginger and lime. Perfect with club soda for a summery non-alcoholic drink.

Strawberry - Rhubarb Syrup-The Wimpy Vegetarian

It’s odd, but I never sampled rhubarb’s goodness until just a few years ago. I don’t know why, really, because it turns out I’ve been missing out on something pretty terrific. I guess for starters, I have absolutely no memory of my mom cooking with it. Or anyone else’s mom for that matter. By the time rhubarb crossed my path, I was well into adulthood with set opinions of what I liked and didn’t like, and had firmly decided that I wouldn’t like rhubarb. It just didn’t sound like a vegetable I’d like. Rhubarb sounds a little like rutabaga, and I was certain I didn’t like them, whatever they were, since they all sounded like vegetables that you had to grow up in the Depression to like.

In my defense, it’s hardly going to draw people by its looks. It’s an alien-looking red stalk, like a gigantic, single stalk of red celery, starkly denuded of its leaves which it turns out are poisonous, that must be combined with something sweet because it’s so screw-up-your-face-tart. Like I’m going to start to experiment with that.

By the time I finally tried rhubarb, it was at a restaurant where a table of four of us decided to share a strawberry rhubarb tart. I figured I was trying to cut back on dessert anyway, and I could just try a microscopic morsel of it, hardly visible to the naked eye, just in case it was so bad it choked me. Well I’m sure you can see where this is heading; yes, the other three people had to fight me for their fair share. Turns out I love rhubarb, and it made me wonder what else I was missing that I’d convinced myself I wouldn’t like.

Strawberry – Rhubarb Syrup

• 2 cups sliced strawberries
  • 1 cup chopped rhubarb
  • 3 disks cut 1/8″ thick of fresh ginger
  • 1/2 cup agave nectar
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 tablespoon packed with smashed whole mint leaves
  • 1 large, juicy lime

Combine the strawberries, rhubarb, ginger, agave nectar, water and mint leaves together in a small pot over medium heat. Cut the lime in half, squeeze all the juice out, and add it to the mixture. Throw in the lime too.

Bring just to a boil and lower the heat to a simmer. Simmer for 30 minutes. Cool completely in the pot and strain into a jar. The syrup should be about the same consistency of agave nectar or maple syrup. If it isn’t, return the syrup to the pot and simmer another 5 minutes.

Store in the refrigerator for up to one week.

Tags: , , , , , ,

16 Responses to “Strawberry – Rhubarb Syrup” Subscribe

1. LiztheChef May 29, 2012 at 12:56 pm #

You aren’t married to a rhubarb fanatic, Susan, which is why you might not have been turned on by the stuff – but you have made up for lost time ;) Lovely photo.

• The Wimpy Vegetarian June 4, 2012 at 9:17 am #

Thanks Liz, and no I’m definitely not married to a rhubarb fanatic :-) I don’t even think he’s much of a fan. So I used the whole batch myself and loved every drop.

2. Stephanie, the Recipe Renovator May 30, 2012 at 12:12 pm #

Gorgeous and I don’t have to renovate the recipe! AND I have rhubarb in my freezer. Hmmm, what is going to happen next?

• The Wimpy Vegetarian June 4, 2012 at 9:19 am #

I never considered freezing rhubarb!! What a wonderful idea. It has such a short season it seems. I’m on it!! Thanks Stephanie :-)

3. Karen @ My Pantry Shelf May 31, 2012 at 8:46 pm #

This syrup sounds delicious! I love serving homemade sodas to my kids and I know they will enjoy this. I just harvested a loa of rhubarb fromm parents garden, so all I need is to pick up some strawberries at the farmers’ market. Great idea, thanks!

4. Baker Street June 1, 2012 at 1:55 am #

This could be used wonderfully in so many ways. love the addition of ginger here.

• The Wimpy Vegetarian June 4, 2012 at 9:21 am #

I love ginger and like to add it to all kinds of things for a background flavor. It always changes up the whole dish. Thanks!!

5. Russell at Chasing Delicious June 2, 2012 at 8:08 am #

Yum! I could put this on everything!

• The Wimpy Vegetarian June 4, 2012 at 9:22 am #

Thanks Russell! I could even see this syrup drizzled over pork chops for the meat eaters in the family.

6. Hannah June 4, 2012 at 9:01 am #

I can’t even begin to tell you all the ways I want to use this syrup! I am a huge rhubarb fan – I grew up with a big patch and my mom put it to good use. Your syrup is terrific and I can’t wait to make a batch.

• The Wimpy Vegetarian June 4, 2012 at 9:23 am #

Thanks so much Hannah! How wonderful to have grown up with it. I hope you like the syrup. I found so many ways to use it, it didn’t last very long and now I need to make some more!

7. Serena June 5, 2012 at 7:12 pm #

As you know from my rhubarb #icecreamlove , I ADORE rhubarb. But I’ve never made it into a syrup and certainly never thought of adding the wonderful flavors of mint and ginger. Brilliant! Will try!

• The Wimpy Vegetarian June 5, 2012 at 7:31 pm #

I think you would really like it! Thanks so much, Serena. And I’m definitely trying your ice cream!!

8. The Wimpy Vegetarian June 4, 2012 at 9:15 am #

I love syrups too, Suzanne. I didn’t start working with them until I starting seeing them on food52, and then I was hooked. I think rhubarb is an underrated vegetable, and should definitely get more attention :-)

9. The Wimpy Vegetarian June 4, 2012 at 9:18 am #

Thanks Suzi! I made this on a really hot day here and it totally hit the spot!