Refreshing fruit soup to celebrate lush, tropical mangos with accents of coconut and lime.

Bowl of Mango Sunshine : The Wimpy Vegetarian

On a warm afternoon or evening, nothing hits the spot better than diving into a cold, refreshing fruit soup. Soups made from strawberries, cherries, or plums at their peak of ripe, full flavor are all favorites. So when Food52 staged a competition last week for mangos, the first second thing I thought of was a mango soup. (Full confession: the first thing I thought about was a dessert, until my friend Suzanne entered an amazing mango pie that I wasn’t about to try to compete with. So then I veered my thoughts to something healthier, like soup. Dessert thoughts first; healthy food thoughts second.)

I used to be an active member of the Food52 community, and it’s still one of the first places I go for reliable recipes that I know will work, but since I started this blog last September, I’ve had less time available to visit them. These days when I drop by for a contest or a comment, it’s with the comfort of visiting an old friend as I slip into discussions like no time has passed, always feeling a warm welcome from the other end. So I was thrilled when my Bowl of Mango Sunshine was selected as a finalist this week, along with a stunning entry for Cambodian-Style Spring Rolls by a good friend, boulangere. B is a part of the Food52 community of wonderful people I’ve connected with; one that I hope will be a friend for many years to come. We’ve exchanged emails, tweets, and blog comments about food, kids, pets, travel, and life; and have become kindred spirits in the process.

And this week, we’re competitors.

No matter how friendly the competition is, it’s still uncomfortable competing with a friend in a contest. You’re torn between being excited that your recipe is being highlighted in a well-respected community of fellow cooks, and not wanting to win if that means your friend loses.

So here’s how I’m resolving it. I’m incredibly excited and honored that Mango Sunshine is in the finals, as I’m sure b is about her amazing looking recipe, and I invite you to head on over to Food52 to check them out. Try either of them, or both. Vote for one, or neither. But above all, check out Food52 the next time you’re looking for great recipes, advice, or friendship. You won’t be sorry.

Mango Soup

Mango Soup (A Bowl of Sunshine)

Prep Time: 20 minutes plus 1 hour refrigeration

• 3 ripe mangos
  • 1 seven-ounce container of plain, low-fat Greek yogurt (I used Fage)
  • 1/4 cup coconut milk
  • 1/4 cup low-fat milk
  • 1 tablespoon + 2 teaspoons lime juice
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 teaspoons honey (I used Buckwheat honey)
  • 1 teaspoons mint leaves
  • 1/2 Serrano pepper, minced

Slice the mangos in half around the large seed in the middle. Scoop out the flesh with a spoon, and place it in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a blade.

Add all the rest of the ingredients to the bowl, and whirl the processor like crazy. If you don’t have a food processor, I’m sure a blend would work fine too.

Chill for at least an hour before serving, but I find the flavors to be best when chilled overnight.

Tags: , , , , , , ,

23 Responses to “Bowl of Mango Sunshine” Subscribe

1. Katie May 20, 2012 at 10:14 am #

This looks delicious! I have a question for you about mangoes. I am fortunate enough to live in an area with a ton of produce variety. Hooray! I noticed recently, and I kid you not, that my grocery store had so many varieties of mangoes that they were spread across multiple aisles. What kind of mango would you pick for this soup?

• The Wimpy Vegetarian May 20, 2012 at 10:40 am #

Wow, you are so lucky! I think any of them that are large, since you need a lot of mango, and juicy, and you’ll be fine. Mangoes are very fibrous, so this makes a surprisingly hearty soup. So soft, juicy mangoes are going to be your best. We head to Hawaii this week and am looking forward to getting lots of mangoes!!

2. Lynda - TasteFood May 20, 2012 at 10:16 am #

Congratulations, Susan! I am still thinking about this soup and keen to make it. Good luck!

• The Wimpy Vegetarian May 20, 2012 at 10:41 am #

Thanks so much Lynda! It’s really such a refreshingly delicious soup, I must admit. I hope you give it a try!

3. Suzanne May 20, 2012 at 11:57 am #

I love your soup and love B’s rolls. We have all become friends, kindred spirits really and a competition is tough when you respect, admire and really like both parties involved. Your soup is the perfect hot weather fix and I love everything about it, most of all the simplicity and how mangoes really shine. Best of Luck and whoever wins the contest you and B are both winners in my opinion.

• The Wimpy Vegetarian May 20, 2012 at 8:20 pm #

Thanks so much Suzanne. I feel so much the same way about you. Instant kinship :-)

4. myfudo May 20, 2012 at 6:46 pm #

Mangoes are so delicious I can’t have enough of them…When we went to Thailand a few years back, I couldn’t go home without bringing a lot. Well, we don’t have that much mangoes in our area, if there are, they are a bit expensive. Anyhow, I think I can still ask around for fair-priced mangoes in our area. Have to try this!

• The Wimpy Vegetarian May 20, 2012 at 8:23 pm #

I think you’d really like it! You need ripe mangoes though, or they won’t be soft enough to puree raw. Hope you give it a try, and thanks for stopping by!

5. Karly May 21, 2012 at 6:39 am #

Fruit soup?? I’ve never heard of such a thing! I’m intrigued…

• The Wimpy Vegetarian May 21, 2012 at 9:05 am #

I had my first fruit soup a few years ago, and have never looked back. My first was with a plum soup, then I moved onto a cherry soup. A couple of years ago I started making strawberry soup. They are incredibly refreshing on a hot day or evening. You’ll have to try it Karly!

6. Choc Chip Uru May 21, 2012 at 3:13 pm #

This looks so delicious, summery and perfect for breakfast my friend – gold in a bowl no doubt :D

• The Wimpy Vegetarian May 22, 2012 at 8:55 am #

Gold in the bowl – I love it Choc Chip Uru! Thanks so much and thanks for stopping by :-)

7. Viviane Bauquet Farre May 22, 2012 at 5:22 am #

Oh la! What a great fruit to feature as the main flavor of a soup. The bright color of mango is so alluring, especially as a headliner!

8. Abby May 22, 2012 at 6:21 am #

Ohh what a cool soup! Good luck with the contest :)

9. CJ at Food Stories May 22, 2012 at 1:05 pm #

Thx for connecting with me on foodbuzz. I just subscribed to your blog feed and can’t wait to see what your next post will be!

• The Wimpy Vegetarian May 28, 2012 at 12:10 pm #

Thanks CJ, and thanks for the follow! I’m following your blog now too. Glad we’re sharing recipes!

10. Terra May 24, 2012 at 9:10 pm #

That is definitely a beautiful bowl of sunshine! I have not tried a lovely mango soup yet, but the flavor combination sounds really refreshing:-) Beautiful, Hugs, Terra

• The Wimpy Vegetarian May 28, 2012 at 12:11 pm #

Thanks Terra! We’re in Maui right now, land of many mangoes, and eating all kinds of mango dishes this week :-)

11. Bevi May 27, 2012 at 12:50 pm #

Congrats on your beautiful recipe. I hope you are loving Maui and are enjoying the weekend.

• The Wimpy Vegetarian May 28, 2012 at 12:12 pm #

Thanks Bevi! Maui is so relaxing and I love all the tropical fruits here. I’m having mango, papaya and pineapple everyday :-)

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Chilled Mango, Coconut and Lime Soup | The Wimpy Vegetarian - August 12, 2014

[…] making this mango soup. It was finalist in a recipe contest on Food52, and I posted it about it here, but like anything else I make, I keep tweaking it a bit and thought I’d share the newest […]