Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp with Cardamom

Email to someonePrint this pageShare on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterPin on PinterestGoogle+Share on LinkedInShare on StumbleUponShare on Yummly

Ultimate comfort dessert with a filling of strawberries, rhubarb, ginger, cinnamon and cardmom, and crisp oat topping.

Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp with Cardamom - The Wimpy Vegetarian

Transitions can be unsettling, and as we move into this spring season I’m feeling completely untethered, arms flapping in the wind. We rent a condo in the mountains where we spend lots of time with my husband’s stepchildren and their families. In the short three years we’ve been there, we’ve created a lot of wonderful memories, and created relationships with all of them that might not otherwise have been possible. Unfortunately our landlord has decided to not rent it out starting July 1, forcing us to find another place, and to decide whether to keep renting or to buy. Looking at new potential homes can be fun when you have time on your side. I love to see what people do with spaces: how the furniture is arranged, the carpet fiber chosen, and the color of the walls. But the fun goes out like the air out of a balloon when you’re on a tight deadline, and you don’t have a great deal of time to spend making trips to the mountains to even see places. And let’s face it, It’s both unnerving and depressing when you see how far your money doesn’t go. So after three long days of seeing tons of places we either liked but couldn’t afford, or couldn’t stand that we could afford, barely, I was in desperate need for some comfort food from my childhood. This strawberry – rhubarb crisp was easy to make, and comforting, like a familiar blanket to warm myself.

Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp with Cardamom

Strawberry – Rhubarb Filling

• 1/2 cup orange juice
  • 1 – 2 tablespoons cornstarch, depending on how thick you want the filling to be
  • 1 cup fresh rhubarb, cut into 1” pieces
  • 1 quart strawberries, quartered
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
  • 1/4 cup agave nectar
  • 1 tablespoon minced candied ginger

Crisp Topping

• 1/2 cup all purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup quick cooking oats (not instant)
  • 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, sliced into 1/4″ sections
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon turbinado sugar

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Whisk the corn starch into the orange juice until dissolved.

Combine all the ingredients for the Strawberry – Rhubarb Filling in a large bowl, and toss well. Let sit while you make the Crisp Topping.

Combine all of the ingredients for the Crisp Topping, except the turbinado sugar, in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a blade. Pulse 10 – 12 times until the butter is the size of small peas. Alternatively you can combine all of the ingredients except the turbinado sugar in a bowl and use a pastry blender to cut the butter into the flour, brown sugar, oat mixture. Either way works great.

Pour the Filling into a baking dish and sprinkle the Crisp Topping evenly over its surface.

Sprinkle the turbinado sugar on top. This gives the topping a nice crunch.

Bake for 35 – 40 minutes, until the crisp topping is lightly browned and the filling is bubbling.

Let cool for 30 minutes before digging in.

You like vegetables? Me too! Keep up to date, get exclusive recipes & don't miss a single delicious thing!

Plum Salad with Avocado and Mozzarella
Avocado Tomatillo Soup - 800 X 533
Tomato Pie
Summer Peach Cake
Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto (in Pasta)
Caprese panini with pesto, grilled tomatoes and melted mozzarella.
Lemony 3 Bean Salad with Tomatoes
15 Ways to Eat Corn OFF the Cob
Tomalito-Chevys_slider
watermelon salad with peaches, cucumbers, and lime.
10 quinoa dishes for summer from salads, casseroles, and patties to an apple crumble.
Classic Mexican street corn prepared as a tart in a cheesy tart shell.

Comments

1. says

What a wonderful bowl of comfort, Susan! Good luck with the search…I can imagine you are drained, especially when it’s not your choice to be looking for a new place. Something good will come your way!

• says

Exactly, Hannah. I really hadn’t planned on this quite so soon. I thought we might have another couple of years in the condo before having to vacate. But things always work out for the best, and I’m sure this will too. We’re just not there yet. So I might be heading for a month of comfort food :-)

2. says

Hope you find a place soon Susan!!This sure is very comforting and I love the use of Cardamom!Another of your recipes on my ‘to try’ list :)

3. says

You know, I have never eaten rhurbarb, can you image and at my age. This looks like a delicious treat. I am going to print this up, it’s time to eat some rhubarb, what do you think. Good luck with you house hunting.

• says

Well, I have a confession. I hadn’t tried rhubarb ever either until a couple of years ago. I have no idea why I hadn’t tried it before, but I’ve been making up for it when it’s in season. This Crisp is a great, easy introduction to it. I hope you try it :-)

4. says

I didn’t know you were in Real Estate, Suzanne. Yes, it’s very frustrating. But I’ll just keep making fruit crisps :-) And yes, I love rhubarb and strawberries together – a classic pairing.

5. says

I love this!!! Your addition of orange juice and candied ginger sounds wonderful:-) Cardamom is one of my favorite spices! Love the idea of adding it to delicious strawberry rhubarb:-) Hugs, Terra

• says

Thanks so much Terra! Cardamom is one of my favorites too. I add it to all kinds of things to test different flavor combinations. This is one that really, really worked. It’s just enough, without overpowering the other flavors. The additional of the orange juice and candied ginger is what allowed me to reduce the overall sugar in the filling. So it’s almost healthy :-) Hugs back to you!

6. says

I added rhubarb and strawberries to my list today when I saw this post. Love the cardamom, cinnamon and ginger. Interestingly, strong flavored vanilla ice cream over-powered those flavors which was quite a surprise. Next serving I’ll skip the ice cream 😉

• says

Very interesting, Rosemary! The cardamom, ginger, and cinnamon are subtle, but there. Especially the cardamom. I could taste the ginger too, but was thinking of doubling it next time around to see how that would fly. Since folks would be likely to eat it with ice cream, perhaps I should increase everything to accommodate that (or whipped cream). Thanks so much for the feedback. I’ll try it tonight with the ice cream too.

7. says

Looks so delicious! Rhubarb pie was a childhood favorite of mine, but I haven’t had it in a very long time. Love your version with strawberries and a crisp topping. Good luck with your home search-I’m sure you’ll find just the right place soon!

8. says

Oh Susan, I wish all the best for you in finding the perfect home…and I love the self-comfort of this dish, classic pairing for a classy lady!

• says

Rhubarb Boy – I love it!!! I didn’t try it until a few years ago, and I suddenly realized that I really, really liked it. It’s always so fun to find a new food to love and experiment with.

9. Bevi says

This looks delicious, Susan. I can’t wait to pick rhubarb – hopefully in a few weeks – and make this. It’s printed!

10. Laurie Dupree says

Susan, Funny but I don’t ever remember my Mom using Rhubarb in any recipes growing up BUT a coworker in my Social Work daysmade a Rhubarb and Strawberry topping for icecream for the youth at the group home I worked at and the kids (and staff) always looked forward to those special times! :)) It’s been years and everytime I see Rhubarb in the store I think about it but never had a good recipe. This sounds delicious! Can’t wait to try it ~ maybe even get the boys to try (although I might not WANT to share! :)) Hope all goes well with the new Mountain House Hunt! It can be a fun but exhausting process :)) Keep the comfort foods coming!

• says

I wonder if rhubarb wasn’t popular or available where we lived (remember Ferri’s grocery?) – I don’t remember ever having it until well into my adulthood. Thanks so much for stopping by – hope life is treating you well!! Oh, and we found a rental, so we’re set for another year :-).