Brandied figs poached in honey, orange juice and anise, served with a scoop of orange zested mascarpone.

Honeyed Fig with Orange Mascarpone

Some foods were born to be together. Some examples of 1 + 1 = 3 are:

Chocolate chip cookies & milk

Peanut butter & jelly

Apples & cheddar cheese

The combination of their flavors elevates each food component to a level it can’t get to on its own. They bring out the best in each other, like a trusted best friend. For me, ‘figs & honey’ is in that category, and if you throw in a little orange, brandy, and mascarpone – well I’m just about in Heaven.

This is a recipe that recently won a Wild Card pick on FOOD52.  It’s super easy to make, and the components can be done ahead and assembled on the plate just before serving. I’ve made it several times, but this time I made it with the killer homemade mascarpone I made a couple of days ago, and added some orange zest to the whipped Cream instead of lemon. Killer.

Cooks Tips:

• If you don’t have Meyer lemons, just use a little extra orange juice and a squirt of regular lemons.
  • Alternatives to the anise seed are star anise, half of a cinnamon stick, or a few crush pods of cardamom.
  • The fig compote is great on its own, with the mascarpone, or over a scoop of honey ice cream.

Brandied Figs with Orange Mascarpone
Drunken Honeyed Figs
  • 16 dried figs
  • 1 cup brandy, or enough to cover and macerate the figs
  • ¼ cup water
  • 5 ounces plus 2 Tbsp honey (I used orange blossom honey)
  • ¼ tsp anise seed
  • 4 strips of orange peel (removed with a potato peeler)
  • 7 ounces orange juice
  • juice from ¼ of small Meyer lemon
  • pinch salt
  • 8 tart shells (optional)
Orange Mascarpone Whipped Cream
  • ⅓ cups heavy whipping cream
  • 3 Tbsp mascarpone cheese (or make your own!)
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • ⅛ tsp vanilla extract
  • Orange zest from ½ navel orange
  • 1 squeeze of orange juice
  • 1 squeeze of lemon juice
  • pinch salt
  1. Macerate the dried figs in the brandy, water and 2 tablespoons of honey overnight. There should be enough liquid to cover the figs.
  2. In a medium pot over medium-low heat, combine the remaining honey with the orange juice, peel, anise seed, lemon juice and salt. Stem and slice the figs in half, and add to the honey mixture.
  3. Bring to a gentle simmer and cook until the mixture reduces to a glaze-like mixture - about 15-20 minutes. The figs should be very soft, but still holding their shape. Turn the figs carefully with a large metal spoon during the simmering process to completely cover them with the honey-orange juice. Cool slightly.
  4. Whip the whipping cream to a medium peak using a hand or standing mixer. Add the remaining ingredients and continue to beat for about 20 - 30 seconds until it is the consistency of whipped cream.
  5. Refrigerate until ready to use.
  6. Place a quenelle of Orange Mascarpone Whipped Cream on a small plate and arrange several figs around it.

Tags: , ,

15 Responses to “Brandied Figs with Orange Mascarpone” Subscribe

1. LiztheChef February 27, 2012 at 12:31 pm #

I ‘m crazy about your recipe in more ways than one but especially because I can use dried figs, so readily available and inexpensive…

• The Wimpy Vegetarian February 28, 2012 at 10:00 pm #

I completely agree – I love dried figs, and am always looking for a way to use them. Thanks so much, Liz :-)

2. Norma Chang February 27, 2012 at 1:52 pm #

Printed the recipe. Love all the ingredients you used.

• The Wimpy Vegetarian February 28, 2012 at 10:01 pm #

Thanks so much Norma! I hope you try it – if you have any questions, just let me know!! I hope you like it :-)

3. Lynda - TasteFood February 27, 2012 at 2:54 pm #

BFF indeed. Also a great way to make BFF!

4. Soni February 27, 2012 at 4:56 pm #

Gorgeous Susan!!Congrats on the Wildcard on Food52!!!This recipe is so unique and delicious looking that I’m tempted to try making it.Will let you know how it turns out :)

• The Wimpy Vegetarian February 28, 2012 at 10:02 pm #

Thanks so much Soni!! I was so surprised, and so exited. I would love to hear how it turns out for you!!

5. lapadia February 28, 2012 at 4:02 pm #

♥ the name of your recipe, and what a great use of your homemade mascarpone!

• The Wimpy Vegetarian February 28, 2012 at 10:05 pm #

Thanks so much Linda! I’m just gobbling it all down, I’m afraid. But I’ve reserved some for one last experiment :-)

6. GoldenWombat December 17, 2014 at 2:45 pm #

How far in advance can these be made? Do the figs and or syrup reheat ok? Thanks!

• The Wimpy Vegetarian December 17, 2014 at 6:19 pm #

Hi GoldenWombat! I would be completely comfortable making this 3 days ahead, and refrigerating. Warm up the figs mixture before serving, otherwise it will be too thick.
      The Wimpy Vegetarian recently posted..Soft Ginger Molasses CookiesMy Profile

• The Wimpy Vegetarian December 17, 2014 at 6:30 pm #

Oh and the figs and syrup will reheat just fine, but the syrup will thicken as it cools. I might not simmer them for the full 20 minutes the first time around if you know you’re going to be reheating, or add water to the figs and syrup when you reheat if the syrup is too thick. Hope that helps!
      The Wimpy Vegetarian recently posted..Soft Ginger Molasses CookiesMy Profile

7. The Wimpy Vegetarian February 28, 2012 at 9:59 pm #

Thanks so much Suzanne!!

8. The Wimpy Vegetarian May 20, 2013 at 8:56 am #

I’m with you there, Marie! They were born to play together :-)