Learning Something New

Email to someonePrint this pageShare on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterPin on PinterestGoogle+Share on LinkedInShare on StumbleUponShare on Yummly

Yogurt

What would you like to learn how to make in 2012?

It could be something complicated like puff pastry. Or something more practical like canning the vegetables from your garden. Or baking your own bread.

For me, I love yogurt and would love to develop a recipe for making my own. It’s a rare day I don’t start my morning with a bowl of yogurt and some fruit. It makes me feel good; like I’ve started my day on the right foot, even if I slide a bit later with a brownie.

There are different yogurt makers I want to research. But at a yogurt tasting I recently participated in, a member of the tasting brought her Greek mother-in-law’s yogurt as a final yogurt to taste. It was, hands down, the best yogurt I’ve ever tasted. It had that perfect balance of tart and creamy without either overpowering the other. Turns out she bakes hers in the oven, which is something I hadn’t considered.

Through the year I’ll be trying various techniques and recipes, in the hopes of getting just the right balance with a technique that I can realistically do on a regular basis. If you’ve got a great yogurt recipe you love and can recommend, please add a link to it in your comments below.

And I’d love to hear if there’s a dish / food you’d like to take on as a project for 2012!

Happy New Year!

You like vegetables? Me too! Keep up to date, get exclusive recipes & don't miss a single delicious thing!

Plum Salad with Avocado and Mozzarella
Avocado Tomatillo Soup - 800 X 533
Tomato Pie
Summer Peach Cake
Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto (in Pasta)
Caprese panini with pesto, grilled tomatoes and melted mozzarella.
Lemony 3 Bean Salad with Tomatoes
15 Ways to Eat Corn OFF the Cob
Tomalito-Chevys_slider
watermelon salad with peaches, cucumbers, and lime.
10 quinoa dishes for summer from salads, casseroles, and patties to an apple crumble.
Classic Mexican street corn prepared as a tart in a cheesy tart shell.

Comments

1. says

I’m going to be hounding you for yogurt-making recipes and techniques…I wish I had saved my salton yogurt-maker from the 1970’s…My goal this year is more vegetarian and even vegan recipes to serve at home.

• says

It’s definitely a work in progress for me. I fell off the wagon, so to speak, several times over the holidays….I will definitely be letting you know what I learn about yogurt making. I’m excited about starting to experiment!

2. says

I’m looking forward to your yogurt journey. I got a dehydrator for Christmas and will be experimenting with using that to make yogurt (and many other things)—all suggestions greatly appreciated!

• says

What a great Christmas gift, Laura! I’ll be following your blog to see what you do with it. I will definitely be posting suggestions, etc on making yogurt. There are other things I want to make too, but I eat a lot of yogurt. There’s such a range of flavor and texture, that I’m looking forward to the experimenting. Thanks for re-subscribing – I just saw you pop up on my list. And thanks for letting me know the subscribe button didn’t work at first! I’m glad you were persistent :-)

3. says

Yogurt making has been on my list to learn – I’ve tried it a couple of times without luck, so I look forward to learning from you! What a great way to begin 2012. Happy New Year!

4. Nancy says

Can’t wait for the oven version. I too remember the Salton makeer, butremember finding a heating pad and a large bowl or quart jar better equipment at the time.

• says

I’m looking forward to the experiments. I’m starting later in February, and am doing a little of homework first. One of my readers sent me some great information I’m looking into. I plan to start posting experiments in March :-)