Roasting a Pumpkin

Email to someonePrint this pageShare on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterPin on PinterestGoogle+Share on LinkedInShare on StumbleUponShare on Yummly

How to roast a pumpkin.

Fresh from the oven

Who knew this would be so easy and so rewarding? I’ve used canned pumpkin for years without a trace of guilt. But this year, motivated by this blog posting by BakerStreet, I decided to try my hand at roasting my own. So off to the farmer’s market I went to get a nice Sugar Pie Pumpkin to work with. I’ve seen them in the stores for years, but have mostly used them for table decorations that get tossed after Thanksgiving.

I do feel a little guilty about that, I must admit.

I love to make things like this that get popped in the oven and roasted while I can multi-task on any number of other things. Or just sit and read the newspaper while feeling like I’m actually working my tail off roasting my own pumpkins like a pioneer woman. What a gift.

In fact, I kind of forgot about it (hate that), but it was so forgiving that it was just fine. Maybe even better. The skin just naturally fell away from beautiful pumpkin flesh that was so aromatic that my kitchen smelled like autumn for hours.

All ready to be roasted

Roasted Pumpkin Puree

Cook’s Notes:

• I roasted my pumpkin whole, but you can cut the pumpkin in half and roast that way too. It will roast faster. Go to BakerStreet’s blog posting on this to see how she did hers!

• 1 pumpkin (I used a Sugar Pie Pumpkin)

Making it…

1. Preheat the oven to 400° F. Place the pumpkin on a baking sheet and roast for 1 hour or until soft.
  2. Remove from oven and let sit until cool enough to handle. The skin should easily peel away from the flesh. Remove the seeds and the super-stringy part of the pumpkin and soak in water to more easily detach the seeds from the pumpkin fiber.
  3. Either mash the pumpkin flesh with a potato masher or put into the bowl of a food processor, fitted with a blade, and whirl it like crazy for about 15 – 20 seconds.

You like vegetables? Me too! Keep up to date, get exclusive recipes & don't miss a single delicious thing!

Mex stuffed sweet potatoes 800X533
hot buttered rum apple pie
double crusted apple galette 800X533
Plum Salad with Avocado and Mozzarella
Avocado Tomatillo Soup - 800 X 533
Tomato Pie
Summer Peach Cake
Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto (in Pasta)
Caprese panini with pesto, grilled tomatoes and melted mozzarella.
Lemony 3 Bean Salad with Tomatoes
15 Ways to Eat Corn OFF the Cob

1. says

Admirable indeed – next you will be doing that soup roasted inside of a baked pumpkin from “Animal, Vegetable, Miracle” one of my favorite books – great job here!

• says

Great idea! We did this in school with kabocha squash, but I’ve not done it with little pumpkins. But I love the presentation of it. You just might see that in the lineup with an inspiration credit to you!

• boulangere says

My students are on Project Week this week, and today the team that presented served as a first course a to-die-for winter squash soup in hollowed-out acorn squash.

2. boulangere says

My sister is far more virtuous than I and swears by sugar pie pumpkins every year. So great to hear a shout-out for them, as it always makes me think of her. Beautiful post, Susan!

3. says

Isn’t making your own the best?! I am now pretty much never going back to the store bought variety! Your colors look gorgeous and very interesting how you baked the whole thing together!

• says

Interesting! I didn’t drain mine, but it didn’t seem watery. But really good to know!! I just bought 3 more little sugar pies to roast ; I’ll see what happens with them. Do you drain them in a colander? Chinoise? Or with cheesecloth? Kabochas are definitely more dense. I’m posting a kabocha soup that’s one of my favorite fall soups next week.

• says

Susan, the farm near us grows about 30 different varieties of winter squash!! So I am always trying different things: Rouge Vif d’Etampes (Cinderella), Australian blue and more common types as well. I guess I should stick with more known pie types as they are less watery?

• says

I’ve only worked with Sugar Pie, so I don’t know. But you’ve given me something to look a little more into and report back on, as you’ve got me curious now. I’d be interested in hearing from anyone else as to the types of pumpkins they’ve worked with, and I’m going to do some of my own research in the kitchen.

4. says

Susan, Beautiful post…I love the little sugar pumpkins; reading your post reminds me of the year we planted more than we would ever need, we had a lot of happy neighbors! If you have the space save some of the seeds to plant, but remember don’t plant too many…they take over :)

• says

Me too! I feel like the whole world has been roasting pumpkins and I’m the last to the party:-) And I’ve now also roasted a pumpkin cut in half. I was surprised, although I guess I shouldn’t have been, that the flavor was definitely different from roasting it whole. By exposing the flesh of the pumpkin more directly to the heat source, it was a little sweeter and the flavors were more concentrated…I’m assuming because the flesh dried out a little more in the cooking process. I turned it into a soup last night and had 2 bowls full for dinner with a salad.