Pâte de fruit candy jewels from rosemary infused pear juice.

This past weekend, a group of 20+ of us gathered for a potluck at the lovely home of Lynda of TasteFood to celebrate the release of a cookbook featuring a number of us with our winning recipes. We’ve all competed against each other in recipe development contests on Food52 over the last 2 years, and have slowly evolved into a very real community. We’ve celebrated each other’s wins and culinary breakthroughs (like baking a first loaf of bread) and provided support to those who have lost.  We’ve poured over cookbooks for ideas, and experimented with new ingredients in our kitchens to bring our best game to a competition; but we’ve also sent private emails through the site to each other encouraging each other to post something in a contest.

Here’s the amazing thing to me: Regardless of differences in age, culture, religion, skin color, sex, whether we’re single and 22 or a grandmother of 5 at 60, our comments on each other’s recipes have evolved from “Yum!” and “Must try soon!” to a more personal interaction. We’ve engaged with each other over new marriages, babies born, jobs lost and found, and loved ones who have died. A common love for cooking great food has provided fertile soil for real conversations to begin, and potential close friendships to take root and grow.

As I looked around the room over a beautiful harvest table completely covered with the amazing food we all brought to share, I listened to the happy chatter of friends meeting face-to-face for the first time, and thought of the first Thanksgiving of different groups of people meeting over a table of food. In that moment I gave thanks that in an increasingly technology driven society of people glued to their computer screens and iphones, and spending hours on email, blogs and social networking sites, that all this technology can also lead to real interaction and meaningful friendship between people who ordinarily would never have met without it.

In this spirit, I thought I’d share with you the recipe for the dish I shared with the group yesterday. This is a great little confection for the holidays that’s so easy to make! You will need a candy thermometer to make this.

Little Jewels

Pear – Rosemary Pâte de Fruit

Cook’s Notes:

• You will need a candy thermometer to make this, ideally one that has a probe connected to a metal cord that leads to the read out. Barring that, make sure the candy thermometer is well affixed to the side of the pot, to prevent splattering of the sugar onto your hands.
  • Prepare the pan / mold and the slurry before beginning to heat up the pâte de fruit.
  • I prefer liquid pectin due to the ease of using it, but powdered pectin will work fine. If using the powdered form use 1 packet. For a slightly less gel that allows the pâte de fruit to melt in your mouth, cut the pectin amount back by 1/3, and allow it to set up overnight.
  • Use 100% pear juice with only ascorbic acid added for color
  • Pâte de fruit has done well in my refrigerator for weeks!

Makes one slab, 6-1/2″ X 6-1/2″ X 1/2″ thick (once trimmed)

Ingredients…

• 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
  • 3/4 teaspoons water
  • 2 cups 100% pear juice
  • 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1 very large sprig fresh rosemary
  • 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
  • 1 1/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
  • 4 ounces liquid pectin

Making It…

1. Line an 8″ X 8″ glass baking pan with 2 layers of foil. Tuck the foil thoroughly into the corners of the pan. Do not think you can do this later while the pâte de fruit cooks!
  2. In a small bowl, combine the cream of tartar with the water to make a slurry. Set aside.
  3. Pour the pear juice into a medium pot, add the rosemary sprig and salt, and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and simmer for 20 minutes to infuse the pear juice with the rosemary. Strain the rosemary out and return the juice to the pot.
  4. Add the lemon juice, sugar and light corn syrup, and insert a candy thermometer probe into the liquid. Turn the heat to medium high, keeping a close eye on the temperature. Bring to a boil and add the pectin all at once. Your next goal is to get the liquid to 220 F, which will happen fairly quickly (a few minutes at most). NOTE: Be very careful with any splattering, as there are few things you’ll ever cook on the stove hotter than making candy. Consider wearing gloves or wrapping a towel around your hand when checking or repositioning the probe.
  5. When the liquid hits 220° F, maintain that temperature for 2 – 3 minutes by adjusting the heat if necessary. Increase the heat so that the liquid slowly climbs to 223° F. This may take a little longer than you might expect, so keep increasing the heat by small increments as needed. Once the liquid reaches 223° F, continue to boil for an additional 3 minutes.
  6. Turn the heat off and add the slurry. Whisk to dissolve as quickly as possible and IMMEDIATELY pour into your prepared dish. Let sit for at least 3 hours, or preferably overnight, to completely set up.
  7. Using the foil, lift the pâte de fruit out of the pan and flip it over. Carefully peel the foil from the bottom and trim the sides. Slice into cubes or cut out shapes with a sharp cookie cutter.
  8. Cut some cheddar cheese. Pull out some of your favorite crackers. Stack and devour.

Yum!

Tags: , , , , , ,

28 Responses to “Pear-Rosemary Pâte de Fruit Jewels” Subscribe

1. TasteFood November 7, 2011 at 11:48 am #

Lovely recipe! And beautiful close up photo, Susan!

2. lizthechef November 7, 2011 at 12:47 pm #

I think I will make a batch of this to serve as you did, on crackers with cheese, for our neighborhood New Year’s Eve party. So much more original than my usual salmon mousse or something-with-shrimp. Lovely post!!

• The Wimpy Vegetarian November 7, 2011 at 2:36 pm #

Well, your salmon mousse is pretty special, though, Liz! But thanks so much. And next time we have to make sure you’re at the party! I said it before, and I’ll say it again : you were missed!

3. Sophia November 7, 2011 at 1:43 pm #

I love this. Much nicer and more interesting than imported quince paste. I’m afraid I would eat the entire batch as candy. The rosemary component sounds lovely. Sounds like you lucked out on your community, Susan.

• The Wimpy Vegetarian November 7, 2011 at 2:39 pm #

Thanks so much Sophia!! I really appreciate your comment on this. I made this several times before I got it where I wanted, and ate a LOT of it in the process, so I understand about eating the whole batch as candy:-) I think you would like the rosemary here – I’ll bring some to our next potluck!

4. Barbara Reiss Newman (aka drbabs) November 7, 2011 at 5:01 pm #

I hope we’ll get to meet in person one day, too!

• The Wimpy Vegetarian November 7, 2011 at 7:09 pm #

Oh I do too, Barbara!! At this point, we’ve really known each other for years, so we really do need to actually meet! Hope you’ve been enjoying the book launch pot-lucks too!

5. cookingwithlil November 7, 2011 at 6:41 pm #

I may have to try this for my open house next month!

• The Wimpy Vegetarian November 7, 2011 at 7:11 pm #

That would be perfect, Lili! I’m happy to bring some with me too…..If you make it, let me know if you have any questions! I almost brought some to last week’s potluck at your house, so that would have been ANOTHER dessert :-)

6. boulangere November 7, 2011 at 7:08 pm #

Susan, your description of your evening together brought tears to my eyes. What a beautiful, heartfelt summary. My party isn’t until December, and I’m so anticipating it! There aren’t a lot of food52ers in Montana, and they comprise generally myself and my students and some dear friends. Nonetheless, I’ve scheduled it close to the winter solstice, when I have my annual winter (not just Christmas) party, so I’m hoping it will be as warm and evocative as yours was. Thank you so much for this. ps. I’m planning to make your pate de fruits, as I haven’t made it since culinary school, and I loved it so. Thank you again.

• The Wimpy Vegetarian November 8, 2011 at 9:32 am #

It was such a nice time together, and food52 has such a special place in my heart with all the friends I’ve made there. Your party will be wonderful! And I’m so looking forward to meeting you! Let me know how the pate de fruit goes for you.

7. boulangere November 7, 2011 at 7:13 pm #

P.S. I am so enjoying the evolution of your blog!

• The Wimpy Vegetarian November 8, 2011 at 9:33 am #

Thanks so much. I’m so glad you’re enjoying it. It’s definitely still evolving, and I’m enjoying the unfolding too!

8. Mary Constant November 7, 2011 at 7:18 pm #

Your recipe is divine and I was lucky enough to see and taste it at the party. Your words brought tears to my eyes…your sentiments are lovely and timely.

• The Wimpy Vegetarian November 8, 2011 at 9:35 am #

Thanks Mare! It was so wonderful to see you last weekend!! And thanks for your comment, so much.

9. Kelsey November 7, 2011 at 8:15 pm #

Love this “A common love for cooking great food has provided fertile soil for real conversations to begin, and potential close friendships to take root and grow.” Thanks for nudging me to check out this post today, I couldn’t agree more with your thoughts on the interpersonal nature of this whole blogging adventure. So glad to connect :)

• The Wimpy Vegetarian November 8, 2011 at 9:40 am #

I’m so glad we’ve connected too. It’s interesting how my feelings about online connecting has morphed from thinking that all this technology was getting in the way of people connecting with someone sitting beside them. Not that I don’t think that’s still true at times, but to ignore the very real connecting that goes on through this technology should be valued too. I’ve read that as people get older, it’s so important for them to stay connected to people. It’s good for our health and our minds. It strikes me that this is a wonderful way to do it for someone who may be aging and increasingly housebound. It keeps them from feeling cut off. Anyway, thanks for stopping by! We were definitely on the same wavelength yesterday :-)

10. Bevi November 10, 2011 at 5:39 pm #

It was great on the East Coast to attend a food52 potluck and get to meet people for the first time,
    in person, after communicating with them almost daily for quite some time. The communion over lovely food and kind intentions towards each other seems to me to be the perfect way to nurture any kind of relationship. Barb was among the attendees, and it was truly an honor to meet people whom I have looked up to for inspiration. I have never made pate de fruits, but love them and I plan to try this very soon for hostess gifts.

• The Wimpy Vegetarian November 12, 2011 at 11:20 am #

This community at Food52 really is amazing to me in how it’s inspired and nurtured. I’m so glad you had the opportunity to go to one too!! If you have any questions if you try the pate de fruits, just let me know!!

11. Hannah November 11, 2011 at 5:30 pm #

A lovely, lovely post, Susan! I couldn’t agree with you more – I was skeptical of technology providing the opportunity for real friendships, but I’ve been proven wrong. We, too, had a Food52 potluck (our second) this week and I just love meeting in person after knowing each other online. Hopefully our paths will cross sometime!

Your pate de fruits sound delicious and I like the pairing with cheese. Do you think they’d travel well? I’d like to make them to take to my brother’s for Thanksgiving and we’ll be flying to Wash DC.

• The Wimpy Vegetarian November 12, 2011 at 11:27 am #

Thanks so much Hannah! I hope our paths cross sometime too!! Since we’re on the same coast, it’s definitely possible.

The pate de fruit would travel great. Just be sure to put it in some kind of container to keep it from getting squished. Let me know if you have any questions when you make it, and I’ve love to hear your thoughts!

12. Cal Cakestall January 29, 2014 at 12:28 pm #

When do you put in the pectin?
    Cal Cakestall recently posted..Seville orange yoghurt sponge drop cookiesMy Profile