What’s your favorite kitchen tool?

Email to someonePrint this pageShare on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterPin on PinterestGoogle+Share on LinkedInShare on StumbleUponShare on Yummly

Think about it for a minute.

What’s your favorite tool in the kitchen that you go to time after time? It might be an appliance makes your life easy in some way. Or it might be an old muffin pan you have of your grandmother’s that brings up some great memory of your childhood.

Mine is probably my food processor, and I should add a disclaimer here that no, this isn’t intended to be a promotion of anything. I’m simply curious, and there might be some great tools out there I’m missing! God forbid.

As my husband, the Director of the Dishwashing Department, can attest to, I use my food processor almost everyday. I use it for making pie crust for all my pies such as my Brown Butter Apple Pie with a Cheddar Crust described in my posts last week, for grating large amounts of hard cheese, pestos and purées. I even use it on some bread doughs, with the plastic blade. So the food processor, for me, sits in first place as KBFF (Kitchen Best Friends Forever).

But a close second, especially in the fall and winter when I make so many soups, is my hand-held blender. It doesn’t purée as fast as my KBFF, but it’s a very efficient little machine and makes the soup puréeing process MUCH easier by eliminating the whole messy process of transferring a soup to the food processor and back.  It makes quick work of jams and sauces too. And as my above mentioned Director of the Dishwashing Department will tout, loudly, it’s MUCH easier to clean.

I’d love to hear what your favorites are too! And thanks goes out to Laurie, my childhood BFF, for striking the match for this question!

You like vegetables? Me too! Keep up to date, get exclusive recipes & don't miss a single delicious thing!

Plum Salad with Avocado and Mozzarella
Avocado Tomatillo Soup - 800 X 533
Tomato Pie
Summer Peach Cake
Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto (in Pasta)
Caprese panini with pesto, grilled tomatoes and melted mozzarella.
Lemony 3 Bean Salad with Tomatoes
15 Ways to Eat Corn OFF the Cob
Tomalito-Chevys_slider
watermelon salad with peaches, cucumbers, and lime.
10 quinoa dishes for summer from salads, casseroles, and patties to an apple crumble.
Classic Mexican street corn prepared as a tart in a cheesy tart shell.

Comments

• says

Great point about the power failures! And I agree with the chef’s knife on principle anyway – I even travel with it when I’m visiting friends if I think I might be cooking something. But that has it’s hazards too – I forgot I was packing my chef’s knife in my back pack, traveling back home after Thanksgiving a few years ago. I met a lot of the airport security folks that day…

1. says

It has to be my immersion blender that I have only had for a year or so. Such a time and dish saver. And I saw Ina Garten using the attachment to grind up spices – gee, I almost threw that away, not knowing what it was for!

2. boulangere says

I love the new Cuisinart food processor! I have to confess that I have a Cuisinart 14-cup at home, but I truly love the new Cuisinart. The motor is strong/gentle enough for pasta dough and for pastry dough. As for the (very) old-fashioned mortar and pestle, I have 3: one wooden, one marble, and one ceramic. They’re all heirlooms (though the marble one is more “heirloom” than heirloom), and I use them all often. As for my favorite tool of late, it is likely my stainless 4-gallon stock/soup pot. Great question!

• says

I too have a fine edged metal spatula I’ve gotten so much use out of. But I think I need a couple more since it’s always in the dishwasher :-) And consider this a sympathy card for your loss of your food processor. I sense a shopping opportunity! There are some great ones out there – all sizes.

3. says

nice topic! mine is the mini $15 food processors…great for garlic, onions, peppers, and jalapenos. I also use it to chop herbs like cilantro. it’s constantly in the dishwasher. (ps – i like ficklefingers comments) :)

• says

Welcome lapadia!!! Thanks for stopping by. And I have to say that even though it takes up a fair amount of counter real estate, I keep mine out on the counter. Next to the other real estate hog, my food processor.

4. says

I have an arsenal of indispensables, none of which I could do without: my microplane, my tongs, my tamis and my mortar and pestle. An extra pair of hands would also be nice…

• says

Arsenal is the right word here!! I haven’t used a tamis since I was in school, but loved using it. It was by far the best thing in the kitchen for getting a really smooth, fine, puree. What size do you like? Oh, and an extra pair of hands would be fabulous…