Think about it for a minute.

What’s your favorite tool in the kitchen that you go to time after time? It might be an appliance makes your life easy in some way. Or it might be an old muffin pan you have of your grandmother’s that brings up some great memory of your childhood.

Mine is probably my food processor, and I should add a disclaimer here that no, this isn’t intended to be a promotion of anything. I’m simply curious, and there might be some great tools out there I’m missing! God forbid.

As my husband, the Director of the Dishwashing Department, can attest to, I use my food processor almost everyday. I use it for making pie crust for all my pies such as my Brown Butter Apple Pie with a Cheddar Crust described in my posts last week, for grating large amounts of hard cheese, pestos and purées. I even use it on some bread doughs, with the plastic blade. So the food processor, for me, sits in first place as KBFF (Kitchen Best Friends Forever).

But a close second, especially in the fall and winter when I make so many soups, is my hand-held blender. It doesn’t purée as fast as my KBFF, but it’s a very efficient little machine and makes the soup puréeing process MUCH easier by eliminating the whole messy process of transferring a soup to the food processor and back.  It makes quick work of jams and sauces too. And as my above mentioned Director of the Dishwashing Department will tout, loudly, it’s MUCH easier to clean.

I’d love to hear what your favorites are too! And thanks goes out to Laurie, my childhood BFF, for striking the match for this question!

Tags: , ,

27 Responses to “What’s your favorite kitchen tool?” Subscribe

1. sanscravat October 31, 2011 at 9:43 am #

That’s simple. Its my 8-inch chef’s knife.
    It works perfectly, all the time… even during power failures.

• The Wimpy Vegetarian October 31, 2011 at 5:12 pm #

Great point about the power failures! And I agree with the chef’s knife on principle anyway – I even travel with it when I’m visiting friends if I think I might be cooking something. But that has it’s hazards too – I forgot I was packing my chef’s knife in my back pack, traveling back home after Thanksgiving a few years ago. I met a lot of the airport security folks that day…

• boulangere October 31, 2011 at 8:18 pm #

Yes, we’re entering into that season, aren’t we?

• The Wimpy Vegetarian November 2, 2011 at 10:26 am #

Yes we are! Especially for those who live back east! They got hammered.

2. majaskitchen October 31, 2011 at 9:54 am #

I agree with the food processor and the hand held blender………are the two I use and love the most…………

3. lizthechef October 31, 2011 at 10:07 am #

It has to be my immersion blender that I have only had for a year or so. Such a time and dish saver. And I saw Ina Garten using the attachment to grind up spices – gee, I almost threw that away, not knowing what it was for!

• The Wimpy Vegetarian October 31, 2011 at 5:15 pm #

I’ve never thought about using the immersion blender for grinding up spices! Great idea! And I didn’t know about the treasure trove either when I first spied it in the pantry after my now-husband and I moved in together. I had no idea of its BFF potential!

• boulangere October 31, 2011 at 8:16 pm #

Wow! Brilliant idea! Never crossed my mind.

4. cookingwithlil October 31, 2011 at 11:07 am #

Got to be my chef’s knife, food processer and my mini muffin pans.

• The Wimpy Vegetarian October 31, 2011 at 5:18 pm #

Oh yes, I love mini muffin pans! Great one! There’s so many shapes now too. In a similar category, I just picked up a mini madeleine pan the other day and can’t wait to use it.

5. FickleFinger October 31, 2011 at 11:50 am #

Oh, great, she’s looking for MORE tools.
    The Wimpy Vegetarian’s Director of Dishwashing

6. TasteFood October 31, 2011 at 1:14 pm #

Call me a caveman: my mortar and pestle

• The Wimpy Vegetarian October 31, 2011 at 5:20 pm #

I admit I came late to the mortar and pestle party, but now have a couple of them and use them a lot. They’re wonderful for really making some flavors sing! Great one!

7. boulangere October 31, 2011 at 8:15 pm #

I love the new Cuisinart food processor! I have to confess that I have a Cuisinart 14-cup at home, but I truly love the new Cuisinart. The motor is strong/gentle enough for pasta dough and for pastry dough. As for the (very) old-fashioned mortar and pestle, I have 3: one wooden, one marble, and one ceramic. They’re all heirlooms (though the marble one is more “heirloom” than heirloom), and I use them all often. As for my favorite tool of late, it is likely my stainless 4-gallon stock/soup pot. Great question!

• The Wimpy Vegetarian November 2, 2011 at 10:30 am #

Oh, I love the stock pot idea! Yes – especially now that we’re firmly into fall. I love having a nice hearty soup for dinner along with a salad. And 4-gallon is a great size!

8. ceciliag November 1, 2011 at 11:20 am #

For me it is my fine edged metal spatula, or egg slice, there are so many names.. .. my food processor died yesterday (boo hoo) c

• The Wimpy Vegetarian November 2, 2011 at 10:33 am #

I too have a fine edged metal spatula I’ve gotten so much use out of. But I think I need a couple more since it’s always in the dishwasher :-) And consider this a sympathy card for your loss of your food processor. I sense a shopping opportunity! There are some great ones out there – all sizes.

9. amee November 1, 2011 at 8:13 pm #

nice topic! mine is the mini $15 food processors…great for garlic, onions, peppers, and jalapenos. I also use it to chop herbs like cilantro. it’s constantly in the dishwasher. (ps – i like ficklefingers comments) :)

• The Wimpy Vegetarian November 2, 2011 at 10:35 am #

Oh YES! I just bought one a couple weeks ago and I’m using it for everything! What a time saver it is. And I think ficklefinger would agree it’s easy to clean since I clean it right after I use it :-)

10. lapadia November 3, 2011 at 12:22 am #

Hi! I found my way to your fun blog…my answer to your question, hmmm, it would have to be my Kitchen Aid :)

• The Wimpy Vegetarian November 4, 2011 at 9:51 am #

Welcome lapadia!!! Thanks for stopping by. And I have to say that even though it takes up a fair amount of counter real estate, I keep mine out on the counter. Next to the other real estate hog, my food processor.

11. gluttonforlife November 3, 2011 at 9:48 am #

I have an arsenal of indispensables, none of which I could do without: my microplane, my tongs, my tamis and my mortar and pestle. An extra pair of hands would also be nice…

• The Wimpy Vegetarian November 4, 2011 at 9:57 am #

Arsenal is the right word here!! I haven’t used a tamis since I was in school, but loved using it. It was by far the best thing in the kitchen for getting a really smooth, fine, puree. What size do you like? Oh, and an extra pair of hands would be fabulous…

12. Bevi November 10, 2011 at 5:26 pm #

I would have to say that I love my Kitchen Aid. A close second is on the other end of the spectrum – my microplane.

• The Wimpy Vegetarian November 12, 2011 at 11:16 am #

What did we do without our Kitchen Aids?? I can tell you I enjoy baking so much more now than I used to; and I know it’s because of my KA!